Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you be swearing allegiance to the king?

Not checked but i think 58% support is a lot less than these polls used to show.

I wonder if the "don't knows" are shy royalists or shy republicans? :hmm:
It’s also a YouGov poll who don’t ask questions in a way that’ll elicit answers that will make the boat rock

Tourism and the 'millions' they bring into the country is still the most common justification. I don't know why people believe that nonsense. Who the fuck goes on holiday to see a fucking king? If you want to bring tourists in you'll need something exciting. Like hangings.

Tourism and the 'millions' they bring into the country is still the most common justification. I don't know why people believe that nonsense. Who the fuck goes on holiday to see a fucking king? If you want to bring tourists in you'll need something exciting. Like hangings.
Yeah always been total nonsense. History and culture is what tourists come for and we could scrap the whole charade with no difference at all

This is all good though isn't it? There's a lot of "well you wouldn't want a republic - imagine a president Blair" type monarchists who are finding this all very weird.

This is all good though isn't it? There's a lot of "well you wouldn't want a republic - imagine a president Blair" type monarchists who are finding this all very weird.
Wouldnt have to, just ol Charly boy on his tod living in a little flat, pay him a living wage and a company car so he can drive to work

This was my and thousands of other Celtic fans response on Sunday

Well since this is on two threads allow me to repost my anecdote. Arms across the Pentland firth!
As it happens the man I was caring for this morning is a Glaswegian celtic fan and the cleaner on shift is an Irish fan, so the three of us just reinacted the singalong in his bedroom. I don't think rural Scotland was too impressed, we were a bit loud :D

I don’t like all the royal jewellery tat usually, but I must admit I quite like the ‘sword of offering’...

View attachment 373123

I’d happily have that in case I ever needed a walking cane. It would have an appreciative home here.

One of my favourite TV programmes is Forged in Fire, some of the contestant's work is breathtaking.

I'd love a Michael Higgins style President....I pretty fucking certain it wouldn't go that way

Charles Windsor can go and do one. And anyone born after the British Nationality Act 1948 is legally a citizen and not a subject. I don’t even know which day this farce of a coronation is on and won’t be trying to!

The Glencoe massacre took place partly because the clan chief wouldn't take the oath of allegiance to the king.

It's not definite that would happen now but I wouldn't put it past the government to consider it.

I think royalty does indeed bring in tourism dollars. However given Versailles was packed when I went there, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference whether the royalty is actually in 'office' or even still alive when it comes to attracting tourists.

I think royalty does indeed bring in tourism dollars. However given Versailles was packed when I went there, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference whether the royalty is actually in 'office' or even still alive when it comes to attracting tourists.

Versailles is a massive earner compared to Buck Pal which is only partly open and that for only part of the year. Chuck in all the royal residences that aren't open to the public and it's pretty clear that having a dead royal family would be a far bigger earner. Make the executions a worldwide ppv event and it's a no-brainer.

It generates media sales and ad-revenue more than anything.

Think all of the tabloids in the UK/US/France/Germany/Italy/Canada etc. Then add in the mags like Hello, Tatler etc and all the various iterations globally. They're all obsessed with the British monarchy, and for good reason. It generates sales and clicks. That's before you even get to stuff like 'The Crown' or how many millions Penguin Random House made from 'Spare'.

The tourism argument is a red herring. People don't come to 'see' the king. They visit castles and palaces just like in other countries. The real money earner is all the stuff above and the fact that it's perpetual, and it pays better than any other country in the world. Period.

It would appear I already have. :eek:
I had to swear allegiance to the Queen when I joined the army. Apparently that includes to her heirs so there's no need to do it again.

It would appear I already have. :eek:
I had to swear allegiance to the Queen when I joined the army. Apparently that includes to her heirs so there's no need to do it again.
Nothing to stop you unswearing allegiance. I mean, it's not as if some almighty power is checking or anything.

Versailles is a massive earner compared to Buck Pal which is only partly open and that for only part of the year. Chuck in all the royal residences that aren't open to the public and it's pretty clear that having a dead royal family would be a far bigger earner. Make the executions a worldwide ppv event and it's a no-brainer.

TBF if they opened up the rest of Buck House it wouldn't get many more visitors and would probably lose a load - - most of it's apparently a bit shit. I don't mean shit in terms of living in (no matter what some posh royals claim), but it's not got great tourism potential beyond the bits that are open now.

Back
Top Bottom