Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you be swearing allegiance to the king?

TBF if they opened up the rest of Buck House it wouldn't get many more visitors and would probably lose a load - - most of it's apparently a bit shit. I don't mean shit in terms of living in (no matter what some posh royals claim), but it's not got great tourism potential beyond the bits that are open now.
It all looks absolutely dreadful and I can't imagine why anyone would spend a single penny to see it.

It all looks absolutely dreadful and I can't imagine why anyone would spend a single penny to see it.

I've been to the open areas of Buck House. It's got a lot of significant art works and I like visiting historical places. I'd never include it on a list of places to visit because there are too many others I'd recommend over it (which is why I've only been twice, and the first time was for free), but it's actually fairly interesting.

Absolutely dreadful applies to the institution of monarchy, not the art.

I've been to the open areas of Buck House. It's got a lot of significant art works and I like visiting historical places. I'd never include it on a list of places to visit because there are too many others I'd recommend over it (which is why I've only been twice, and the first time was for free), but it's actually fairly interesting.

Absolutely dreadful applies to the institution of monarchy, not the art.
Fair enough. I've always struggled with appreciating the visual arts. As a rule I'd like to see it in public galleries not palaces but understand this can be hard with architecture.

They could always turn it over to the local community as an arts centre l

They could, and the rest could be used as accommodation for people who aren't royal.

I was just being pedantic, really, Buck House really is a tourist attraction mainly because the royals still live there. Versailles has lots of beauty to make it worth visiting - beauty paid for with the blood of peasants. The non-public areas of Buck House just aren't impressive.

Back
Top Bottom