Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why the lib-dems are shit

I've received the strangest letter through the post today apparently from Mike Smithson "Polling and Elections Expert". Its a letter about the importance of tactical voting and why Labour voters in seats where Labour can't win should vote Lib Dem. All fairly normal but its the way they've employed a supposedly impartial polling person to give the whole thing a different feel to a standard mail out.

After several paragraphs explaining why I should vote Lib Dem he finises of by saying "I'm not here to tell you who to vote for..." Oh really?

Anyway in the tiny print at the bottom you can see its from the lib dems. They really do have a very slippery approach with their literature.

I've received the strangest letter through the post today apparently from Mike Smithson "Polling and Elections Expert". Its a letter about the importance of tactical voting and why Labour voters in seats where Labour can't win should vote Lib Dem. All fairly normal but its the way they've employed a supposedly impartial polling person to give the whole thing a different feel to a standard mail out.

After several paragraphs explaining why I should vote Lib Dem he finises of by saying "I'm not here to tell you who to vote for..." Oh really?

Anyway in the tiny print at the bottom you can see its from the lib dems. They really do have a very slippery approach with their literature.
He is a massive election betting bod. There is a def story in this. He profits from outcomes if...

I wonder who'd be interested in this?

He's also a really nasty arsehole.

Much as I dislike Swinson, the insults thrown her way are often more gendered and... appearance focused than I really feel comfortable with.

Indeed.

...and that she is promoting herself/being promoted using the same logic is pretty shit too.

...and that she is promoting herself/being promoted using the same logic is pretty shit too.
we live in a deeply misogynist and patriarchal society - that ambitious female politicians might choose to campaign in ways which don't challenge this very much isn't really their fault.

we live in a deeply misogynist and patriarchal society - that ambitious female politicians might choose to campaign in ways which don't challenge this very much isn't really their fault.

Well it is and it isn't.

Let's not deny Swinson agency in this.

Could you imagine Sturgeon posing for photos in a #girlyswot t-shirt and boxing gloves?

Swinson's decision to go along with this doesn't justify or excuse any shit she might be getting on the grounds of gender or appearance. Of course not.

From the start, and I think I mentioned it on here somewhere, I've been very uncomfortable with how she has been promoted and represented. Perhaps not on the scale of that awful photo op for Opik upthread, but the patriarchy has been strong throughout her campaign so far, from supporters and opponents alike.

Tom Brake is often at the centre of these humiliating attempts at engagement. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the #girlyswot thing - and their continuous attempt to make it happen despite literally everyone cringing their spleens out every time she posts it - has his fingerprints on it.

Tom Brake is often at the centre of these humiliating attempts at engagement. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the #girlyswot thing - and their continuous attempt to make it happen despite literally everyone cringing their spleens out every time she posts it - has his fingerprints on it.
Quite possible; he is a very creepy individual (I've had the misfortune to meet him IRL a few times).

I'd guessed at Prince Hewitt...doesn't say much for the agency supplying the 'talent' tbh.
btw Rosehill should so be a Labour 'heartland' (as was until 2006) that a LD like Brake shouldn't be safe around there.
That was my first thought, but allying with royal princes right now... but then, yes, makes total sense.

Back
Top Bottom