Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where do you keep your toaster?

Where do you keep your toaster?

• Total voters
The only cupboards I think of as presses are this kind, which are called an 'Edinburgh press'

edinburgh-press-cupboard_orig.jpgimg_4708-e1506198320304.jpg

...and are a feature of tenement flats left over from the building process (they were originally open doorways that led between the flats so the builders could move around easily). Every Edinburgh flat I have lived in has had one in the living room.

Our toaster is kept in the bottom of a glass display cabinet (next to the food processor) in the dining room to be taken out as required since the kitchen is too small. In my Ma’s house the toaster has always lived under the sofa in the front room so you can use it while watching TV - usually late at night.

Our toaster is kept in the bottom of a glass display cabinet (next to the food processor) in the dining room to be taken out as required since the kitchen is too small. In my Ma’s house the toaster has always lived under the sofa in the front room so you can use it while watching TV - usually late at night.
I like to be sure mine is unplugged and away from flammable things ...

The only cupboards I think of as presses are this kind, which are called an 'Edinburgh press'

View attachment 300018View attachment 300019

...and are a feature of tenement flats left over from the building process (they were originally open doorways that led between the flats so the builders could move around easily). Every Edinburgh flat I have lived in has had one in the living room.
Yes, you get them in Glasgow tenements too. But they’re not the only thing I grew up hearing called a press.

I've actually got an interesting answer to the question but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

We'll be the judge of that.

Is everyone sitting comfortably?

In my opinion things like toasters shouldn't sit on a counter getting in the way of everything, and of course a toaster shouldn't live in a cupboard.

I built my own kitchen and therefore could implement my own solution, which is a kind of ledge at the rear of a deeper-than-normal countertop run. It's only about 3cm higher than the main counter area, and the depth is just enough for the width of a toaster or the diameter of a kettle base. So, these implements sit on the little ledge and are available for daily use. But it is easy to keep the main worktop area clear and clean, because after using it for doing food prep or whatever, I can easily wipe up to the little toaster ledge and get rid of any mess that is on it. No circumnavigating the toaster with the wiping sponge, and certainly no wiping up to the edge of the toaster potentially just pushing particles under the edge of the toaster to gather there with other ones.

Toaster crumbs still gather under the toaster, of course, and have to be cleaned up now and again but at least they are not getting joined by bits of broccoli and other substances.

I'm always amazed at how happy spiders are to live amongst the crumbs .. I only clean mine out when they get in the way of operation ...

In my opinion things like toasters shouldn't sit on a counter getting in the way of everything, and of course a toaster shouldn't live in a cupboard.

I built my own kitchen and therefore could implement my own solution, which is a kind of ledge at the rear of a deeper-than-normal countertop run. It's only about 3cm higher than the main counter area, and the depth is just enough for the width of a toaster or the diameter of a kettle base. So, these implements sit on the little ledge and are available for daily use. But it is easy to keep the main worktop area clear and clean, because after using it for doing food prep or whatever, I can easily wipe up to the little toaster ledge and get rid of any mess that is on it. No circumnavigating the toaster with the wiping sponge, and certainly no wiping up to the edge of the toaster potentially just pushing particles under the edge of the toaster to gather there with other ones.

Toaster crumbs still gather under the toaster, of course, and have to be cleaned up now and again but at least they are not getting joined by bits of broccoli and other substances.
Except it will be a bitch trying to clean the worktop under the ledge with only a 3cm gap. :eek: :(

You said interesting.

I get the impression you've thought about this way more than is healthy... :eek:

Ah, so the area on my worksurface between the microwave and the wall, where the phone sits, isn’t part of my worksurface?
There are two potential answers:
Yes, it's part of your worksurface because you could use it as such had you not put the microwave there.
No, it's not part of your worksurface but it would be if the microwave wasn't there.

Neither of these would apply to my toaster ledge, and thus we see that it is in an altogether different category of surface. My toaster location falls outwith the gamut of your poll.

4AC447E5-5E67-4735-BC10-1A83F0308264.jpeg

Teuchter’s Moomin ledge earlier. Possibly a sensible idea as far as it goes; but all non deviant people know that the full story is that this is a household shrine. He lays flowers and libations of rare oils in front of the ‘shelf’ daily and prostrates himself before it, gyrating in a Dervish like manner. Frankly it’s appalling. Goes against all standards of decency as we all agree.

The truth? It’s a dirty sin plinth.

Back
Top Bottom