Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where do you keep your toaster?

Where do you keep your toaster?

• Total voters
I am definitely tempted to buy the cooker scifisam highlighted. What about getting the shell off the eggs a perennial problem of mine.

I am definitely tempted to buy the cooker scifisam highlighted. What about getting the shell off the eggs a perennial problem of mine.

I use tongs to take the eggs out and stick them in a very small plastic bowl of cold water, mainly because I'm impatient and they take too long to cool down (done in a pan or any way) and that seems to make them easy to peel. Roll the egg slightly on a plate and the shell practically falls off.

I really want a fucking massive kitchen with deep drawers and a place for everything including my toaster.
What I have is a tiny kitchen with one small drawer and everything fighting for space on the worktop.

But I have a bathroom that is so big you could play twister in it. :mad:

I really want a fucking massive kitchen with deep drawers and a place for everything including my toaster.
What I have is a tiny kitchen with one small drawer and everything fighting for space on the worktop.

If you’re considering keeping your toaster in the bathroom, please: well away from the bath.

I don’t like too many things on the worktop. Only bread machine, nespresso machine, kettle, second fruit bowl and sodastream, which all get used several times a week.

Toaster, mixer, slow cooker etc are all in cupboards.

Yup, we also have a ridiculously large bathroom. I mean, it's not like the ones in bathroom ads, which could house several families, but in a small flat it's the least useful room to have extra space in.

Thanks for the thread. Mine is by bread bin but full of crumbs. Normalling I would take it out into the garden and give it a good shake to remove crumbs but didn’t get round to it before the weather turned crap.

I use my Henry hoover for sucking the crumbs out. Works fab.
Why don't you remove the crumb draw and empty it into a bin?

Yup, we also have a ridiculously large bathroom. I mean, it's not like the ones in bathroom ads, which could house several families, but in a small flat it's the least useful room to have extra space in.
Yes! Is your place old too? Our house is 30s and the bathroom was a bedroom.
It is nice to be able to have a bath and shower now it’s been redone but it’s still too big.

Kitchen worktop next to the kettle which it used to match but now no longer does so since the kettle had to be replaced.

Yes! Is your place old too? Our house is 30s and the bathroom was a bedroom.
It is nice to be able to have a bath and shower now it’s been redone but it’s still too big.

It is, (also 30s - 1830s) but it's mainly the way the HA arranged things when they turned it into two flats rather than one house. It wasn't a bedroom they adapted, which would be more understandable because sometimes you can't move walls, so I'm not sure why they decided to do things this way. It's just a bath, loo, sink, and tons of empty space you can't store anything in (it's got no external windows, so storing anything isn't really a good idea).

I live 1930s houses in general though. Possibly due to never having lived in one, I guess.

I’m perplexed. Toasters take up minimal space (unlike, say a bread maker), so you can Bly really need the counter space if you’ve got a truly tiny kitchen. But if you have a truly tiny kitchen, you’ll not have cupboard space to spare for a fucking toaster.

My toaster is used once every three weeks or so. It lives on the counter, because what else would I be doing with the back bit of the worktop?

I do have some appliances in cupboards, in a small room next to the kitchen. These are things I use a couple of times a year or less.

Why don't you have a toaster?

A) Did your old faithful die and you aren't ready to accept a new one in to your life
B) Dissatisfied with the choice/ quality of replacements
C) Hoping to receive a new one this Christmas
D) Remain traumatised following toaster trauma / electrocution / house fire / hair on fire
E) Other, please supply details
F) Allergic to toast, please supply full medical details

Why don't you have a toaster?

A) Did your old faithful die and you aren't ready to accept a new one in to your life
B) Dissatisfied with the choice/ quality of replacements
C) Hoping to receive a new one this Christmas
D) Remain traumatised following toaster trauma / electrocution / house fire / hair on fire
E) Other, please supply details
F) Allergic to toast, please supply full medical details
I don't have a toaster because I have a grill. Don't see the point in having both.

I don't own a kettle either. Or an iron.

Re toasting fork:
In the local Oxfam a couple of years ago. Enter a middle aged woman with her elderly mother. The younger woman stops in front of a gleaming brass ‘Victory’ toasting fork, puzzled: ‘What’s that?’
‘A toasting fork.’
‘But what’s it for?’
‘Making toast.’
‘How???’
‘You stick the toast on the prongs and hold it in front of the open fire...’
Younger woman shakes her head in disbelief.

s-l300.jpg

Mrs Frank has a fancy blender that lives on the kitchen counter. Apparently it's worth 100 quid. We never use it.

Toaster gets used several times a day, keeping it in a cupboard would be madness on a par with keeping the kettle in a cupboard.

Back
Top Bottom