Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I had the last of the spaghetti bolognese that's lasted me since the weekend. Some nice garlic bread with it an all.

Eh hello missus...have we seen a recipe for this yet? :hmm: You can't just post stuff like epic win lentil and chicken stew and not elaborate! Mind you, I might have missed an earlier post of yours. *goes back a few pages*

Soz :oops: :D Recipe below - was part from one I read online, and then part made up as I went along.

Serves 4 (or 6 if you're not a fat bastard :D)

Put 8 Chicken drumsticks (take any skin off), one big roughly chopped onion, and 4 chopped sticks of celery in a big pan. Cover with water. Add 6 black peppercorns and bring to the boil then simmer gently for about half an hour (or longer if the chicken isn't cooked through).

Once chicken is done, remove from the pot and leave to one side. Add 2 tins of green lentils, salt, pepper and chicken stock (I used one of those stock pot jobbys) to the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes. Whilst this is happening, take the chicken off the bone in smallish pieces.

After 20 minutes, add the chicken back to the pot, and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken is warmed through. Turn off the heat and add a couple of tablespoons of half-fat creme fraiche and stir through.

And that's it - piece of piss. Serving suggestion is with a massive slice of thick bread and butter :cool:

Sounds epicly winsome! I lurve green lentils.

Tonight, our little household had tuna and pepper pasta bake with salad and garlic bread. Red wine to drink and a few slices of persimmon fruit for dessert.

Skint tea of things remaining in the fridge. I wasn't optimistic, but I just fried the last bit of chorizo with some celery, a tablespoon of harissa paste, tomato, tinned anchovies, and yoghurt. Served over pasta. AMAZING.

ALSO-- I found a garlic bread roll in the freezer, the importance of this to my happiness cannot be overstated. :cool:

I'm quite pleased with myself because I finally managed to make some tarka dhal that was every bit as good as my local good BIR. I've had a couple of attempts before but they haven't turned out as well as I would have liked. This time I was able to give it my full attention because instead of doing several other things at once, I already had some madras sauce (that I made last week) in the freezer, so concentrated most of my efforts on the dhal. Had it with a fish madras and pilau rice. And plenty of leftovers for tonight, assuming I can restrain myself from having another spoonful every time I am in the kitchen :oops:

I'm a bit obsessed with reproducing dishes from our local Indian restaurant/takeaway tbh, we can't afford to buy takeaway food let alone eat out these days so if I fancy it I have to cook it myself. Anyone got any good recipes for passanda sauce?

Lamb steaks tonight. Going to do a garlic/rosemary/shallot/red wine sauce and have minted new potatoes with lashings of butter and steamed veg.

Leftover 3 bean chilli, rice, chips, sour cream, pickled chillis etc

And the lemon meringue that I didn't do last night cos it needed 20 mins in the oven and I couldn't be arsed at 10pm!

British Indian Restaurant - often used to clarify when you're talking about anglo-asian curryhouse fare as we know it, rather than traditional Indian/Pakistani etc. cuisine.
ah! there are far too many acronyms these days! how are we supposed to keep up!

My daughter has a friend over so....beans on toast :facepalm: :D ...breaded yellow sole fillets with potato salad and broccoli for me and the boy...and they all had lemon curd ice cream for pudding.

Mem to self: don't get Waitrose meal for 2 deal when living alone because it only ends one way, however much it looks like good value.

(It was fish pie, with veg, and some pate which I'm keeping for lunches, and a bottle of wine I won't drink, because it was that or chocolates which was definitely a bad idea. The fish pie was very nice <burp>)

Back
Top Bottom