Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Just about getting new kitchen straight and really enjoyed cooking a meal in it. Did roast chicken, potatoes, parsnips, carrots and steamed broccoli & gravy. Off to stay at friends for the week though as the builders are back today :(

Mrs R is threatening to cook something from her new Nigellissima book :hmm:

Just read the Gruniad's piss take of it :) :

"So I've always felt that Italy – sorry, I just can't stop my eyelids fluttering – was my real home, though I make no apologies for many of these recipes not being authentically Italian. Or even very original, as I've either copied and pasted many of them from my other books, or borrowed someone else's and just added lashings of vermouth and golden sultanas. And I mean lashings, big boy!

Try to think of these dishes as I do. An idealised version of Italy: a country of hot sun, sexually available older women whose brunette hair flops and teases in equal measure, and cameras set to the softest of focuses. That's not so hard, is it? Oh! You are hard ... Good. Then now we're ready to begin."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/07/nigellissima-digested

I have some spinach left over from the curry-a-thon, so it's smoky spinach & butterbeans with "sunburst" carrot salad and rice for us tonight. with lime-coriander yoghurt on the side.

My eye was drawn to the 'sausage and lentil supper' recipe I have in my folder, but then I remembered that I've had veggie saussies for the last 4 days (Friday tea, Saturday tea, Sunday brekky with fried eggs nom, and today's lunch) so I think something else should be in order.

Maybe chips n egg n mushy peas, or pasta n sauce (boring), or Egyptian lentil soup (not in the mood)

Lookin like chips then

Something with mince, not sure what.
Probably cottage pie as I can't really be bothered to come up with anything more exciting.

Could pretend it's the 70s and put cornflakes on it or something.
If it was the 70s you'd have to get some frankfurters in there somewhere.

Tonight I'm doing a thai curry with carrot and tofu and steamed rice - I bet everyone thinks I'm veggie by now - I'm not, we have a bacon and egg sandwich most mornings but we both prefer vegetarian food for main courses. Plus it's inexpensive, although the bacon and egg comes from Costco- so much cheaper than the supermarket.

I have found Spain's equivalent to liver in onion gravy!

Just chicken liver and kidneys, but close enough. Cooked in a rich tomato and onion sauce heavily dosed with thyme. It is delicious. Shared mine with a homeless guy in a small plaza in Madrid's Clerkenwell. We had chips also, but couldn't find mash.

Gave him my cigarettes before leaving to go into the trendy bar he was scowling at :D

Leeks, brussel sprouts, kale and purple sprouting broccoli all sliced and fried with chopped bacon and onion. With a smoked mackerel fillet on top. I've been looking forward to this all day. :)

My favourite Spanish food was kid chops in Rosemary, a by product of the kid leather industry.

It is very popular. I once had roast kid in rosemary at a very posh Parador hotel in Jaen. Horribly disappointing - tough, dry and stringy. It sort of put me off trying again.

How did you cook it, and was it already skinned and prepared by the butcher?

Rabbit is still huge in Spain, especially Andalucia. Normally served in paella, but grilled rabbit fillet is popular also.
it was skinned, i got him to chop it up for me.

just cooked it slow with the cider, bacon & veg, then took all the solids out and reduced the liquor to about a quarter of its original volume, added the cream and put everything else back in. sauce was intense.

A bit of a hash of a pasta bake.
Got boot fair pasta, cheepo pasta sauce, added water, tomato puree, paprika.
It's cooking for a bit in the oven and when it's nearly done I'll add a load of cheese on top to finish in the oven for 10 mins.
Hope its ok.

Tzatzitzikzi (cheap, need to improve that!), phat olives stuffed with jalapeños, and kalamata olive ciabatta.

That'll do!

FE18EF4D-A986-4B87-8E53-AC07FB1732B6-3240-00000267E3FB3AE0.jpg

E2a: the bloody olives were in brine, and the chuffing jar contained my daily salt intake. And tasted of not much but salt. Pffftt. Lesson learnt.

Salad of mixed leaves, tomato, red onion, carrot and olives, topped with parmesan shavings and a perfectly microwave poached egg.

This microwave egg poaching is also gonna revolutionise my lunches at work. Can't wait to show off to my colleagues. :D
(Break egg into a mug of water, cook for 45 seconds on high, before anyone asks).

Aiming for the 'Russian' for tea, would have preferred to go to the genuinely German restaurant but the bus schedule has been cut for winter! :confused:

Hopefully I'll have the rice and mince burgers, with rice and pickled veg, and the lettuce salad.

We had a curry delivered - my lamb mustang was incredible. Slow cooked lamb in a chick pea, tomato, ginger and chilli sauce.

We will be having Nigella tonight :hmm:

yesterday i had veggie sausages, sweet potato and lots of almost going off broccoli and cabbage.
Tonight i've got my dad's yummy shepherds pie, currently defrosting at home. Can't wait for today to be over so i can enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom