Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

If we are sharing rice wisdom, here's what I do:
Two cups of basmati, three cups of water. Or teaspoons or buckets, just use two measures of rice to three of water.
Leave it to stand for half an hour.
Then put the heat under it.
When it comes to the boil, turn the heat off, put a tight fitting lid on and leave it alone until all the water has gone. This tends to take ten minutes for me and my cups, but I know the time must be dependent on the actual measures you use.
Take the lid off and stir in a knob of butter.
Perfectly cooked and separated grains of rice every time.
That's a good way to do it BUT it doesn't kill the Bacillus cereus because it doesn't get hot enough, so I would eat it straight away and not save any leftovers whereas my method makes for it being safe to reheat the next day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

Mrs M's foolproof rice.
One saucepan with tight-fitting lid.
Tiny bit of oil
boiling water
White long grain rice
small measuring cup.
Put the oil (you need very little) and two measures of dry rice in the saucepan and have it on a high heat and really stir it about. When the pan and the rice are good and hot put in three measures of boiling water. The rice will spit and bubble. Slap the lid on tight and turn the heat down to its lowest. Leave for about ten minutes or so (sorry, I'm a bit crap with timings) and don't be tempted to take a peek. When the water is absorbed, take it off the heat, fluff it up with a fork, stick the lid back on and leave it to sit for 5 mins or so. Perfect, works every time.

Rice is well easy. After washing, add cold water to the rice. Boil it up until all the water has gone and the holes appear then turn it down to the lowest heat and cover for ten mins. Job done.

I will try both methods, but am pretty sure it'll either turn to one white congealed lump or be rock hard :(

That's a good way to do it BUT it doesn't kill the Bacillus cereus because it doesn't get hot enough, so I would eat it straight away and not save any leftovers whereas my method makes for it being safe to reheat the next day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

Oooh. I've been making it like that for years and always do hurtling big pan full and heat it up again the next day. And for a lot of the following days, too. Either I am made of solid antibiotics or I've just been lucky.
Thanks for the info, though.

A veggie shepherds pie type thing with lentils, mushrooms, peppers and courgette topped with mashed spuds and swede

Sensations crisps (cheddar and onion) and foxes fudge cream biscuits.

We had a late lunch out so too stuffed for proper food. : o

I had honey and minty lamb steak, chips, mushrooms, grilled tomato and mahoosive onion rings for lunch.
The mr had fish, chips and mushy peas.

It was bloody lovely. : )

Last night we had hot dogs with loads of lovely sweet slow cooked red onion and ketchup...was YUM! :D Plus nice and easy for a Friday night :cool:

Today, I'm doing a SATURDAY ROAST....chicken, roast potatoes, yorkshires, cauli cheese, sugar snaps, broccoli and gravy.....and cream doughnuts for pudding.

I'm really looking forwards to it but I'm also knackered and REALLY can't be arsed to cook it (and I also have to clean out the guinea pigs hutch AND give them a bath....and then fill in a long, dreary housing benefit form :( )! :facepalm:
Cashed in some Tesco vouchers to go to Cafe Rouge tomorrow though, so I'm trying to bear that in mind!

Bloody hell sheo, I didn't know you had to bathe guinea pigs! :eek::oops:

We've already had a massive late lunch, but I think we might go to the local Korean for tea, maybe. If we do I will have Pajeon (like eggless pancakes) and maybe some Kimbap.

Last night we had hot dogs with loads of lovely sweet slow cooked red onion and ketchup...was YUM! :D Plus nice and easy for a Friday night :cool:

Today, I'm doing a SATURDAY ROAST....chicken, roast potatoes, yorkshires, cauli cheese, sugar snaps, broccoli and gravy.....and cream doughnuts for pudding.

I'm really looking forwards to it but I'm also knackered and REALLY can't be arsed to cook it (and I also have to clean out the guinea pigs hutch AND give them a bath....and then fill in a long, dreary housing benefit form :( )! :facepalm:
Cashed in some Tesco vouchers to go to Cafe Rouge tomorrow though, so I'm trying to bear that in mind!

Mind you're awake enough to tell the difference between your chicken and your guinea pigs. :D

I'm having liver for tea. With a hefty pile of mash. Yum and yum.

I've got tonnes of veggies-- broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, green beans, peppers, beetroot etc. I'm feeling lazy and hungover and I've got loads to do, so I might just chop them up and put them in a roasting tin with some sausages.

Im thinking a curry... we have prawns and coconut milk so prob that.... otherwise prob some kind of chorizo and black bean stew

Prolly gonna have a pizza or something out the freezer.

Tommorrow is the start of the autumn / winter stew season.
I'll be cooking braised steak and onions, served in a giant yourkshire pud with mash for the kids, me n the mrs will have a typical beef stew made with home brew stout to add a richness to the gravy.

Wash the rice, boil it for 5-6 minutes (boil kettle while rice is cooking)
Swap out the rice water with fresh boiled water and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
Once cooked, drain rice in a sieve and wash over again with more boiled water to remove the starch.
Simple.
jesus that's complicated :D I make brilliant rice but certainly never need to drain it :)

it may sound complicated, but each step takes a few seconds ;)
Washing out as much starch as possible makes it nicer for re-heating as I sometimes make the rice in advance, especially for fried rice recipes.
... works for me anyways ;)

Steak sarnie: Fat sirloin, fried onions, garlic, mayo, toast.

Yum! ("nom" is a fucking shit word)

ETA: *buuurrrrrrp* that was seriously tasty :)

Back
Top Bottom