Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I'm making a giant salad of grilled chicken thighs, red and green peppers, chickpeas, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and tomatoes. I brought a bottle of mango and chili dressing to go with it.

What's-for-tea-post-threaders...I trust your advice! I'm having my BF over for dinner tomorrow, he's veggie. I've got a big block of plain Cauldron tofu, and would like to do something more exciting than stir-fry...ideas? I'm getting some inspiration from here.

I dug a home made chicken & shroom chinese curry out the freezer, i'll have that with some perfectly boiled rice.
:D

I can't cook rice :(

Same problem here. Always too sticky when I do it. My sister bought me one of these for Xmas a couple of years back:

Breville-RC3-Slow-Cooker.jpg

Problem solved. They're about 25 quid.

Wash the rice, boil it for 5-6 minutes (boil kettle while rice is cooking)
Swap out the rice water with fresh boiled water and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
Once cooked, drain rice in a sieve and wash over again with more boiled water to remove the starch.
Simple.

What's-for-tea-post-threaders...I trust your advice! I'm having my BF over for dinner tomorrow, he's veggie. I've got a big block of plain Cauldron tofu, and would like to do something more exciting than stir-fry...ideas? I'm getting some inspiration from here.
Make mrsfran's puy lentil lasagne instead ;)

Rice is well easy. After washing, add cold water to the rice. Boil it up until all the water has gone and the holes appear then turn it down to the lowest heat and cover for ten mins. Job done.

If you do go for stir fry dry fry the tofu in a wok or frying pan - IMO that's the best way of doing it.

I can't cook rice :(
Mrs M's foolproof rice.
One saucepan with tight-fitting lid.
Tiny bit of oil
boiling water
White long grain rice
small measuring cup.
Put the oil (you need very little) and two measures of dry rice in the saucepan and have it on a high heat and really stir it about. When the pan and the rice are good and hot put in three measures of boiling water. The rice will spit and bubble. Slap the lid on tight and turn the heat down to its lowest. Leave for about ten minutes or so (sorry, I'm a bit crap with timings) and don't be tempted to take a peek. When the water is absorbed, take it off the heat, fluff it up with a fork, stick the lid back on and leave it to sit for 5 mins or so. Perfect, works every time.

Mrs M's foolproof rice.
Tiny bit of oil
boiling water
White long grain rice
small measuring cup.
Put the oil (you need very little) and two measures of dry rice in the saucepan and have it on a high heat and really stir it about. When the pan and the rice are good and hot put in three measures of boiling water. The rice will spit and bubble. Slap the lid on tight and turn the heat down to its lowest. Leave for about ten minutes or so (sorry, I'm a bit crap with timings) and don't be tempted to take a peek. When the water is absorbed, take it off the heat, fluff it up with a fork, stick the lid back on and leave it to sit for 5 mins or so. Perfect, works every time.

^This, only depending upon what it's going to be served with, I sometimes use a bit of butter rather than oil. Or a good dollop of concentrated tomato puree and a crushed clove of garlic/finely chopped chilli/both along with the oil and rice is pretty lush if you don't want plain rice.

Mrs M's foolproof rice.
Tiny bit of oil
boiling water
White long grain rice
small measuring cup.

This is very close to how I do rice.
I usually use basmati and use the same amount of water as I do rice.

I never wash the rice beforehand (and it hasn't killed me yet).

^This, only depending upon what it's going to be served with, I sometimes use a bit of butter rather than oil. Or a good dollop of concentrated tomato puree and a crushed clove of garlic/finely chopped chilli/both along with the oil and rice is pretty lush if you don't want plain rice.

I often add a bit of chopped onion/shallot to the oil, and sometimes cumin seeds or star anise, but you can add whatever flavouring you want.

I have a friend who always manages to turn out perfect rice and I made her teach me her method and this is it :)

Supposed to be going for Korean but it's raining and we're going to the Korean border next week so I'm sure we'll have more than enough then. So probably a pizza with my new wholemeal flour.

If we are sharing rice wisdom, here's what I do:
Two cups of basmati, three cups of water. Or teaspoons or buckets, just use two measures of rice to three of water.
Leave it to stand for half an hour.
Then put the heat under it.
When it comes to the boil, turn the heat off, put a tight fitting lid on and leave it alone until all the water has gone. This tends to take ten minutes for me and my cups, but I know the time must be dependent on the actual measures you use.
Take the lid off and stir in a knob of butter.
Perfectly cooked and separated grains of rice every time.

Out for tea tonight. Thai, I've been informed. Aces.

Ooh yes I forgot to mention delicious additions
Sometimes I substitute about ¼ a cup of water with lemon juice (I don't bother heating that, I don't want lemon juice in me kettle) and add lemon zest. Cumin seed put in with the rice is nice too.

Awesome (well it had better be) new cooker arrives today, along with plumber to connect it :cool:

The chances of persuading Mrs R that we should forego our traditional Friday night curry delivery so that I can cook macaroni cheese in an elaborate, drunken and entirely made up ceremony of cheese themed ordination are about nil, so it will probably get its cherry popped with a bacon sandwich tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

Sometimes I substitute about ¼ a cup of water with lemon juice (I don't bother heating that, I don't want lemon juice in me kettle) and add lemon zest. Cumin seed put in with the rice is nice too.

Lemon juice sounds like a great addition. Perfect with fish.
I'll give it a go sometime.

Fella's playing a gig tonight in Liverpool, so something quick before we go out. Had pie, chips and gravy last night, so maybe pesto pasta toneet

Ooh, lemon - I hadn't thought about lemon rice for ages but I'm going to be doing a fish curry soonish (I have some home-made madras style sauce in the freezer that needs using) and lemon rice would go really well with that.

Tonight I will be cooking a mushroom risotto.

Back
Top Bottom