Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

What's butter pie?
As said, the main ingredients are spuds, onions, and butter.

This is how I make it (it is one of the most comforting of all comfort dishes I know, so well worth a go)

Line a pie dish with shortcrust pastry, cut spuds into slices about the thickness of a quid bit, and parboil for 5 mins.

VERRRY SLOWLY sweat the onions (cut in half moons) in butter - don't caramelise, you want them fat and buttery and soft.

Drain spuds, put one layer in pie dish, then pour over all the buttery onions, then put another layer of spuds on top.

Dot all over with good proper salted butter (50g), then a good grind of black pepper, and put pastry lid on.

Do at Gas 5 for about 30 mins - just check to see if ready.

I've just had a leftover slice for me lunch - fuck me it's soooooo good :cool:

As said, the main ingredients are spuds, onions, and butter.

This is how I make it (it is one of the most comforting of all comfort dishes I know, so well worth a go)

Line a pie dish with shortcrust pastry, cut spuds into slices about the thickness of a quid bit, and parboil for 5 mins.

VERRRY SLOWLY sweat the onions (cut in half moons) in butter - don't caramelise, you want them fat and buttery and soft.

Drain spuds, put one layer in pie dish, then pour over all the buttery onions, then put another layer of spuds on top.

Dot all over with good proper salted butter (50g), then a good grind of black pepper, and put pastry lid on.

Do at Gas 5 for about 30 mins - just check to see if ready.

I've just had a leftover slice for me lunch - fuck me it's soooooo good :cool:
I would call that a potato and onion pie rather than a butter pie. You Lancastrians and your funny ways.

A king prawn and salad wrap :rolleyes: ...just ONE MORE TO GO after this...phew!

Got no kids tonight tho and it's Friday tom so gonna have A few cold beers first :cool:

Tramps buffet dinner of French bread pizzas.

Big french stick
Pack of salami, chorizo and prosciutto
Mozzarella
Tomatoes
Yellow pepper

Also a 'dips selection' of salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

Less than a fiver ^

Got some tomato puree, garlic and onion to chuck in the mix. Should be good, always hard to tell with French bread pizzas.

For once I agree with OU. Butter pies are a disappointment and a possible breach of the trade descriptions act - a decent croissant almost certainly contains more butter. They're blinking ordinary potato pies at best

I doff my hat to the many fine pies made in the area - hell, even Greenhalgh's would be a massive step up compared to most of the bakeries around here - but I don't get the butter pie love. A bit dull really; the beige of the pie choices available.

Can't say it's all luxury here tonight either mind. It's a £10 meal deal with obligatory bottle of vino. Was going to use the time saved to prepare the bottles for the first batch of pepper sauce of the season, but have been spectacularly lazy since getting back from work.

Peppered steaks from waitrose with new potatoes and carrots roasted in garlic and rosemary, green beans and griddled flat mushrooms.

The plan is for tuna and red pepper pasta, but am still on the omnibus home and faint with hunger already. :( Might have a crafty Frankfurter to give me an energy boost before cooking.

Steak as well :) With Diane sauce and roasted new pots from M&S. Followed by lemon cheesecake slices from the tramps buffet. Extending holiday by buying expensive food ftw :cool: :D

Umami... or oovavoo ? :hmm:

lots of fried tomatoes
lots of fried mushrooms
some fried spud
soy sauce
fish sauce.

Washed down with a nice Cotes Du Rhone.

Chilli and rice and salsa and sour cream and cheese. There would also have been tortillas to scoop it up with, but muggins here burnt them. :facepalm:

For once I agree with OU. Butter pies are a disappointment and a possible breach of the trade descriptions act - a decent croissant almost certainly contains more butter. They're blinking ordinary potato pies at best

I doff my hat to the many fine pies made in the area - hell, even Greenhalgh's would be a massive step up compared to most of the bakeries around here - but I don't get the butter pie love. A bit dull really; the beige of the pie choices available.

Can't say it's all luxury here tonight either mind. It's a £10 meal deal with obligatory bottle of vino. Was going to use the time saved to prepare the bottles for the first batch of pepper sauce of the season, but have been spectacularly lazy since getting back from work.
Yes but if you make your own they are much nicer

Anyway, fella's playing a gig toneet so it's just me, our lass, and her g/f. Might do a pea and parmesan risotto, or possibly an Egyptian lentil soup

last night we had falafel from one of the best falafel shops in town. it made me super happy. followed by beers and dancing to Dan Deacon :cool:

I'm going to The Glee Club tonight and a Groupon voucher. It was £9 for comedy, gourmet burger and caramel popcorn. Looking at the menu it looks like mine will be falafel. I will probably order chips too if they don't come with the burger.

Back
Top Bottom