Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Veg soup (carrot and broccoli, mostly) and garlic bread.
My daughter has a friend over so will have to try and fish something out for their pudding too - I *think* I've got some belgian waffles in the freezer downstairs :hmm: so those with maple syrup and ice cream, if so.
Might just have to be melon, if not. :p

Been cooking up feasts all weekend! Stunning Tuscan bean and tomato soup on Friday night - really fresh and zingy with the rosemary, and kept a bit of bite to the veg, plus threw a handful of farfalline in. Nom.

Made HFWs Mushroom Stoup on Saturday - very rich, very mushroomy :D Was made up being able to make dumplings! Veggie suet ftw :cool: Had some yummy seedy buttered bread with it too.

Made the Chachouka yesterday, but cos I did it for a bit longer, cos the whites took longer than I thought, the yolk went hard too :( Still n all, was lovely. Had that with lemon and coriander couscous, green salad, and more good bread. Then for afters we had hot chocolate fudge cake, with fresh raspberries and blueberries, and a pouring of single cream. Fucking hell, it were good :cool:

Tonight - I'm thinking of making some gnocchi - never done it before but quite fancy it, with pesto and roasted tomatoes :cool:

No one else eating tea tonight then?

Right well, am going to make the gnocchi that's in the book cos it's got goats cheese in it and sounds nom. So, that, tossed in pesto, with tomatoes roasted with garlic (and possibly rosemary), with a peppery salad. Then more of that tremendously good pudding wot we had last night :cool:

A note on the mushroom stoup thang - I seriously doubted whether the dill would work, as have only ever put it with fish before, but my god, it did work. Although, I did end up putting a small amount of thyme in to balance the sweetness. Used chestnut and button mushrooms as well as the porcini too.

Roast chicken with roasted carrots, parsnips, tatties, shalotts and garlic.
Seasoned with mixed herbs and extra parsley

Think I'll do a very simple dish of sauted veg with fusili. Sauce will just be a splash of vinegar and some sriracha. Lots of yummy basil, parsley and coriander on top, plus some parmesan.

very 'un-me' dinner and feel horrible right now because of it :rolleyes: Salmon fish cake :(, oven chips and very soggy overcooked vegetables :( And some horrible, stale biscuits for desert. Urgh.

Dinner was fried lamb sausage and spanakopita. For the span, I was inspired to chop some Moroccan preserved lemon into the filling-- something I'll definitely be doing again!

For supper just now, I tried my hand at making jeon-- a kind of Korean pancake. I did a ham and onion version that turned out great. We had them with nappa kimchi, sweet-pickled daikon slices and spiced watercress.

Huge weekend of eating en Francais. Friday night was treated to a four course dinner cooked by a new friend:

Foi gras - never tried it before but it was in front of me. Good but it had better be really.
Goats cheese salad
coq au vin, cream potatoes, cauliflower cheese, green beans
Pear tart, orange tart, double cream
Several bottles of Leffe & Burgundy

Saturday - spaghetti bolognese
Much booze

Sunday - to Chatel's best restaurant for the local speciality:
Much booze

Snails
Mont D'Or fondu with smoked bacon, potatoes, pickled silverskin onions & gerkins
Toblerone chocolate torte with vanilla infused cream

Monday - Beef & chilli in black bean sauce & special fried rice.

Never done the booze free January before but may have to give it a rest for a bit now :)

Going to have a go at a fish pie tonight. Never made one, anyone have a good recipe? Only has to feed two, I have two big bits of tilapia (400g) and some prawns (200g).

Going to have a go at a fish pie tonight. Never made one, anyone have a good recipe? Only has to feed two, I have two big bits of tilapia (400g) and some prawns (200g).
I don't like the look of that Jamie Big Tongue one. Chilli?!

I like to put capers in there, and a bit of mustard. Haven't made one for aaaaages though, and I never had a printed recipe for it. I did always used to use some smoked fish in there too, and a nice cheesy topping to the pie.

I forgot something else I made at the weekend - Friday night it was saussies with mashed spuds, the roasted sweet potatoes/onions/rosemary (fanTAStic combination - still salivating over it), steamed broccoli and carrots, mushy peas and roast veg gravy. Nnnnnnom!

Well the gnocchi turned out brilliantly! The couple of times I've had it before it was all hard and nuggety but these were like soft little sausagey dumplings - think the addition of the goats cheese made a big difference. Absolute arse ache to roll the dough out cos it was so sticky, and I did doubt whether they were actually cooked after being simmered for only a couple of mins, but yep, they were. Tossed them in pesto and had with roast toms and garlic and the peppery salad. Fuck ME - that is some seriously soothing food. Well do that again :cool:

Tonight I will be making a nice vast vegetable tagine, using up loads of veg int fridge...king eddie spuds, sweet potato, onions, red and yellow peps, and courgette, and am soaking a mahoosive amount of chickpeas. Will never go back to tinned chickpeas now - the ones you soak are so much better...nuttier, bigger, better texture and flavour all round. Well worth the forethought. So yeh - tagine, will chuck in some chopped dried apricots too and have with couscous. :cool:

Mother's making quiche. I'll do chips with it to clear some room in the kitchen freezer. I'm doing so well on this healthy eating :oops:

Pittas stuffed with the last of the Keralan Syrian Christian Indian Moldovian Atheist Curry, tomatoes lettuce and hummus.

That's some stuffing right there.

Kung Po king prawns stir fried with noodles with plenty of veg is the quick option for tonight. Hopefully the misses will be able to pick up some cashews, which I blatantly forgot.

I've got these weird pumpkin/ginger noodles from the whole foods shop in Brixton. Those plus veggies and coconut milk, I think.

Back
Top Bottom