Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

We're about to sit down to baked chayote halves stuffed with shrimp and crabmeat, red beans 'n' rice, green salad. Banana bread pudding for dessert.

And thanks again for the belateds. :)

Veggie chilli- courgette, carrots, purple potatoes, mushrooms, peppers, soya mince, chopped tomatoes, some lentils, kidney beans, wine, spices. With cheesy garlicky ciabatta bread on the side. It's simmering away nicely now and making the house smell lovely.

Syrian Christian Curry which is my first attempt from these people. My lovely sister bought me a subscription to their monthly curry club and this is the first one. Keralan according to the notes. Smells great as its cooking it's gotta be said. :cool:

Syrian Christian Curry which is my first attempt from these people. My lovely sister bought me a subscription to their monthly curry club and this is the first one. Keralan according to the notes. Smells great as its cooking it's gotta be said. :cool:

What? :confused: I don't understand?! :( :facepalm: :mad:

It's a Keralan, Syrian Christian curry? :confused:

WHAT? :mad:

There's a Syrian Christian community in Kerala apparently. Off the top of my head i'd say that The Saint Thomas Christians, also known as the Nasrani (or Nasrani Mappila) are an ancient body of Christians from the Indian state of Kerala who trace their origins to the evangelical activity of Thomas the Apostle in the 1st century.[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] The community was historically united in leadership and liturgy, but since the 17th century have been split into several different church groups and traditions.
Historically the Saint Thomas Christian community was part of the Church of the East, centred in Persia. They were organised as the Ecclesiastical Province of India in the 8th century, served by bishops and a hereditary Archdeacon. In the 16th century the overtures of the Portuguese padroado to bring the Saint Thomas Christians into the Catholic Church led to the first of several rifts in the community and the establishment of Catholic and Malankara Church factions. Since that time further splits have occurred, and the Saint Thomas Christians are now divided into several different Catholic, Oriental Orthodox, and independent bodies, each with their own liturgies and traditions.
The Saint Thomas Christians represent a single ethnic group. Saint Thomas Christian culture is largely developed from East Syrian influences blended with local customs and later elements derived from indigenous Indian and European colonial contacts. Their language is Malayalam, the local tongue of Kerala.

It appealed to me because I really like these hybrid curries you get over there when there's been a slightly different influence by some of the people that settled. All the ones in Goa that have the Portuguese love of decent meat along with all the Indian spices. Ace stuff. :cool:

Khans take away, eaten slobbing on the sofa, in my pjs, watching Tombstone :D
Prawn Palak for me And Chicken Palak for the boy.
Stuffed paratha, galic nan, samosa, papadums and a mushroom rice.

Now that's what I call a Sunday evening!

Tonight is my Beano-style birthday meal of a mound of mash with sausages sticking out of it and onion gravy.....Pip went really extrav and bought Heinz beans too...I don't think we've ever had a tin of them in this house ever before, I'm a value/basics beans buyer.

20120108201524.jpg

Back
Top Bottom