Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

just realised I only posted my response to this in a different thread yesterday :facepalm:

anyway, the Vegeree was pretty good and a super quick mid-week meal. I think it would have been nicer with basmati rice (as per the recipe). I only had some quick cook rice and don't think it was the best choice. the fella gave it the thumbs up so it's a winner. summary - nice but not stunning; very very easy (although not quick in terms of total time as it involves roasting, but very quick in terms of time actually doing something).
Cheers chuck

What do you think would/could have made it better? Apart from the rice?

I'm gonna make a Tuscan bean and tomato soup tonight, cos not made it for aaaages now. Will use black eyed beans in it, and have some part-baked baguettes which I will bake and then slather with butter to go with it :cool:

I'm sure the pizza will be crap, but it's all about the experience :D
Watch out for the tiny garlic bread. The fella's mum likes to order Dominoes sometimes and the fucking garlic bread is ridiculously small. I thought they'd sent a kiddies one at first but no, they're all like that. Totally overpriced and not as good as my local one.

We are having Cauldron veggie sausages, potato & swede mash, green beans, carrots, sugar snap peas, and those baby corn things and gravy. I might make onion gravy and do parsnips too.

not sure, fella is meant to be making a chilli, but he's not well so I took some sausages out the freezer this morning just in case - and can do them with green beans and peas as a back up :)

not sure, fella is meant to be making a chilli, but he's not well so I took some sausages out the freezer this morning just in case - and can do them with green beans and peas as a back up :)

I ended up with sausage, new pots and veg last night.
It looked a bit uninspiring on the plate so I opened a jar of tomato chilli jam I made in the summer.
Big mistake, it was so fucking tasty that I ended up having more sausage and potato just so I could have more of the chilli jam :facepalm:

Tonight we're having slow cooker casserole - beef, onions, carrots, green pepper, chopped toms and a bit of beef stock.

Cheers chuck

What do you think would/could have made it better? Apart from the rice?

I'm gonna make a Tuscan bean and tomato soup tonight, cos not made it for aaaages now. Will use black eyed beans in it, and have some part-baked baguettes which I will bake and then slather with butter to go with it :cool:
hmmmm, maybe i'd have added some chilli and some mustard seeds and used a better curry powder... maybe a squeeze of lemon and a bit of coriander too... but I might just be mucking around too much now :D

I ended up with sausage, new pots and veg last night.
It looked a bit uninspiring on the plate so I opened a jar of tomato chilli jam I made in the summer.
Big mistake, it was so fucking tasty that I ended up having more sausage and potato just so I could have more of the chilli jam :facepalm:

Tonight we're having slow cooker casserole - beef, onions, carrots, green pepper, chopped toms and a bit of beef stock.
hehehe... luckily we only have a small pack of sausages and no potatoes, otherwise I would probably do the same :oops: :D

hmmmm, maybe i'd have added some chilli and some mustard seeds and used a better curry powder... maybe a squeeze of lemon and a bit of coriander too... but I might just be mucking around too much now :D
Welll, recipes are like rules eh? Made to be broken :) cheers for that - will bear in mind when I make it. Fella is working like billy-o trying to finish his phd so will spend part of this weekend making a couple of things out of the book for him :)

We're supposed to be having spag bol but I have to mince the beef and I'm knackered from smallgirl deciding to spend most of the night screaming about everything. Might just do ham egg and chips instead.

We're supposed to be having spag bol but I have to mince the beef and I'm knackered from smallgirl deciding to spend most of the night screaming about everything. Might just do ham egg and chips instead.

Chippy tea sounds good, that might do us.

I went for the quick and easy option last night. Wholemeal baps (matron, etc...), chicken breast (matron, etc...), cheese, chorizo and houmus. Yum

You mean instead of tea?
No, that's what I had for tea - I was hungry so I necked some whizz and alcohol, then I wasn't hungry any more....

Tonight I will be having either nothing or slimfast, as I'm back working again 2-10 shift.

lentil lasagne, but being at home today means it's quite possible i'll eat it way before official 'tea time' to alleviate the utter boredom of essay writing :(

More or less shepherd's pie.

Note to self: Include celeriac & swede in the bit under the mash - it made it more savoury than usual. Also, no liquid at all in the mash.

No, that's what I had for tea - I was hungry so I necked some whizz and alcohol, then I wasn't hungry any more....

Tonight I will be having either nothing or slimfast, as I'm back working again 2-10 shift.

That's not tea, those are drugs! Learn the difference :D And eat for god's sake.

Watch out for the tiny garlic bread. The fella's mum likes to order Dominoes sometimes and the fucking garlic bread is ridiculously small. I thought they'd sent a kiddies one at first but no, they're all like that. Totally overpriced and not as good as my local one.
We didn't do it after all that :D I had a spare 10 mins so bought a Margarita from the supermarket and threw mushrooms and olives on it instead.

Getting taken out for 'dinner' at a notable steak place later; so for our mid-day meal, which I normally classify as 'dinner', I made some pot-sticker dumplings featuring pork and chicken (both ingredients leftovers) with a couple of dipping sauces, some kimchis and the ubiquitous green salad.No dessert.

Normally, the Other Half would have taken me to the Korean/Japanese place in town for my birthday, but I recently got 2 serious Korean cookbooks for Christmas and I think he's (rightly) expecting a lot of cold weather Korean meals at home in his immediate future. :D

Yep, Happy Bleeding Birthday Otter. Here's a picture of a lasagne cake-a-like and the obligatory green salad in your honour.

images

Cheers. sheo and tarannau :)

The steak would have been pleasantly adequate, but for the Other Half having gotten all butch with the owner/chef of the place we went to and hectoring him on the 'proper' way to age beef by hanging the carcass. I ignored them and had some plum cake with sweetened yoghurt and powdered sugar. And cognac. :)

Normally, the Other Half would have taken me to the Korean/Japanese place in town for my birthday, but I recently got 2 serious Korean cookbooks for Christmas and I think he's (rightly) expecting a lot of cold weather Korean meals at home in his immediate future. :D

Happy Birthday! :)

Hope you'll tell us what Korean food you cook with your new books. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom