Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Possibly the best meal I've ever cooked. The various kiddies took ages to be put to bed so in the end I was able to give it 5 hours to roast. By which time we'd drunk nearly a crate of Champagne :). What a treat to sit down to a meal with your 3 best mates & their families, having not all been in the same country for almost 15 years.

Food, mates, booze :cool:

:thumbs:

Aw, that sounds fucking great, ringo! And what a perfect time to have produced your *best meal* too! :cool: :)

I'm doing a king prawn and pea coconut curry with a mini naan - although I might just have wine/beer and have it for brekky tomorrow. :D

no broccoli sheo???...yesterday got me thinking just where does it all come from and that you should know (*whisper*) 'there are other vegetables to eat'. Is there anything & I mean ANYTHING that you would not serve broccoli with (ice-cream??)

last night I had takeaway veggie burger & fries from a dirty burger place & I loved it...:D tonight we are going out somewhere as I'm away for 5 days from very early tomorrow & no need to shop.

I've just run out of broccoli, tbh. :D :p

moonsi - AS I'VE TOLD YOU BEFORE :mad: - both the kids love broccoli - other things they like, but not quite so much, or one of them doesn't at all :rolleyes: so it's a fail safe veg, plus IT'S NICE! :p

purelynarcotic - I'm not using a recipe! :D
Will just do a garlic/ginger/onion paste, add some spices, then some stock and some creamed coconut, then once that's all cooked down enough (so that the onion especially is cooked till it's sweetened a bit/not all bitter and raw, I'll probably a chopped, skinned tomato or two then the prawns and the peas!
Actually - there's a very good recipe I've posted before for a fish curry (which I just add creamed coconut too) which has a lovely combination of spices...will find it and stick it up!
I've just remembered that I've got some balinese spice paste (base gede) in the freezer too, so I might just use that :hmm: (that's a rick stein recipe - will see if I can find that too - it's a good un cos it makes a big batch and then you can just freeze it in smaller portions :cool: ).....

For the Balinese spice paste (Base gede)
(again, I'd fry the spice paste in some oil for a few minutes, then add the stock/coconut and let that cook till it was the consistency etc I wanted, then add the rest)

Defo, recommend this one!

Like I say, I've added some creamed coconut to it before, too.

Mark Hix cooked up this spicy fish supper in the River Cottage fish cook-off, much ...
Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS

• 1.5kg dogfish, cut into 3cm-thick slices
  • Salt and pepper
  • 60g ghee or vegetable oil
  • 3 medium onions, roughly chopped
  • 5 large cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped root ginger
  • 3 small, medium-hot chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tsp freshly grated turmeric or 1 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1 pinch saffron strands
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • Good pinch curry leaves
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 tsp tomato purée
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 1.3 litres fish stock (a good stock cube will do)
  • 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves

METHOD

How to make dogfish curry

1. Season the pieces of fish with salt and pepper. Heat half the ghee or oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan and fry the fish on a high heat until lightly coloured. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and put to one side. Add the rest of the ghee or oil to the pan and fry the onions, garlic, ginger and chillies for a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add all the spices and continue cooking for a couple of minutes, covered, stirring frequently, to release the flavours.
2. Add the tomato purée, lemon juice and stock, and some seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer very gently, uncovered for 45 minutes. Take a cupful of the sauce from the pan and blend in a liquidiser until smooth and pour it back into the sauce to thicken it slightly. Add the pieces of fish and simmer very gently for 15 minutes then add the coriander and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with basmati rice.

I've actually got veggie burgers AND soft baps ( :oops: ) AND plastic cheese slices AND mayo/mustard/ketchup AND salad (if you wanted salad...you might not, tbf! :D ) - BUT I fancy you're a bit too far from me to be able to get it to you before it went cold. :(

Works Christmas do tonight. So I'm having roasted mushrooms with cheddar and bacon to start, baked salmon on a bed of baby potatoes and spinach served with dill creme fraiche and roasted veg and a yule log with whipped cream and berry compote. Then I'm going to drink loads of beer and shout abuse at everyone whilst running around with my trousers round my ankles.

Ace :D

sis and bro in law are coming over and i'm trying to make room in the freezer for xmas food so ive dug out some lamb and will make greek lamb and orzo stew with crusty white bread to mop up the juices.
mince pie and custard for pudding should they so desire....

I've actually got veggie burgers AND soft baps ( :oops: ) AND plastic cheese slices AND mayo/mustard/ketchup AND salad (if you wanted salad...you might not, tbf! :D ) - BUT I fancy you're a bit too far from me to be able to get it to you before it went cold. :(
ohhh, that would have been awesome. I'm getting omelette apparently. still, I don't have to make it which is :cool:

Chana masala with spinach, garlic and coriander naans, onion bhajis, veggie samosas, and some other snacky type thingy. Still more key lime pie to finish for afters too :cool:

sausage and mash pie MDK :)

Ooooh did you do the tried and tested or do any additions?

Last night we had sausage, bubble squeak patties and asparagus with home made gravy made from sauagey bits, red wine, red onion and shit loads of garlic. I could eat it again now so fit! x

Ooooh did you do the tried and tested or do any additions?

Last night we had sausage, bubble squeak patties and asparagus with home made gravy made from sauagey bits, red wine, red onion and shit loads of garlic. I could eat it again now so fit! x
oh no, that was my suggestion for you... I'm sickly so had toasty tea cooked for me :)

That sounds lush though, not had bubble for ages!

No, German sausage stew :p
Yer a cheeky little get you tits :D

Reet, this is Biddlybee's recipe, and there is another one that uses eggs but I haven't tried that yet cos this one is so fucking nom!

Key Lime Pie

Ingredients

* 375g/12oz plain or sweetmeal digestive biscuits, crushed (I'd do 1/3 gingernuts to 2/3 digestives here)
* 150g/5oz unsalted butter
* 405g can Carnation Condensed Milk
* finely grated zest and juice of 5 large limes (these should be key limes, but they ain't easy to come by)
* 300ml carton double cream

Preparation method

1. Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the crushed biscuits. Lightly press into the base of a 23cm/9in pie dish/flan tin. Chill whilst preparing the filling.
2. To prepare the filling: place the lime juice into a large bowl, add the cream and condensed milk. Whisk for 1-2 minutes.

3. Add the lime zest and lightly stir.
4. Pour onto the prepared biscuit base. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.

It makes fucking LOADS and keeps well in the fridge for a few days :cool:

^ tbf soj I haven't made that one yet :D

Well let me tell you - it is fucking WELL lush, and really very satisfying to make too. I LOVE bashing the biscuits, and the gloopiness of the cream and condensed milk is lovely. Tits - you know that tip about biscuit base don't you? Put the biccies in a placcy bag with no holes in it and just bosh the fuckers with a rolling pin :)

Smashing, thank you :)

And you are more than welcome. Let me know how you get on with it. Be warned though, first time I made it, me and the fella had the munchies and ended up stood over the pie tin with a fork each, unable to stop wolfing it down :D

Well let me tell you - it is fucking WELL lush, and really very satisfying to make too. I LOVE bashing the biscuits, and the gloopiness of the cream and condensed milk is lovely. Tits - you know that tip about biscuit base don't you? Put the biccies in a placcy bag with no holes in it and just bosh the fuckers with a rolling pin :)

And you are more than welcome. Let me know how you get on with it. Be warned though, first time I made it, me and the fella had the munchies and ended up stood over the pie tin with a fork each, unable to stop wolfing it down :D

Aye, bash the life out of them!!!!

Well I'd hate to have it when I have the munchies as I do that anyway. I'd probably just sit on the kitchen floor eating it with my hands :D

...and double the base, always double the bass (edit: :facepalm: base!) - or had I already doubled it soj?

And a little tot of rum goes well with limes and cream.... *licks lips*

...and double the base, always double the bass (edit: :facepalm: base!) - or had I already doubled it soj?

And a little tot of rum goes well with limes and cream.... *licks lips*
Ooo rum, never thought of that! Next time! :D Corrrr!!!! Well me dear, that biscuit base must already be doubled cos it is VERY thick :)

Back
Top Bottom