Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I'm going to go through the stuff salvaged from the freezer last night - stuff has been defrosting in the fridge, but I seem to have a bit of pork which might be either a chop or a loin steak, and a chicken breast. If the pork is a chop I will fry it whole, but if there is no bone I will finely slice it and stir fry - either way will have it with ginger and garlic and spring onions.

The chicken I will dice and stir fry with chillies, Sichuan pepper, garlic, mushrooms and some red pepper. Ooh maybe a few cashews too, I bought some the other day for just such a purpose - so will probably turn out a bit like Kung Pao chicken but with cashews instead of peanuts (cannot eat peanuts).

Plain rice to go with those dishes I think.

Having hated wraps of all kinds for years because I cannot control them and food goes EVERYWHERE, I'm getting a bit better at them. The trick is to stuff as much of them into your mouth as possible with each bite, that way, less falls out :hmm:

So tonight Matthew, we'll be having fried halloumi and salad wraps, with possible curly fries for extra saltiness!

Coffee and choc cake with a decaff tea for afters.

I have two 200g Black Angus burgers lined up. I'll probably do only one, it'll have cheese, maybe cheddar, onion, the full works, including an egg, but I'll skip the bun. I'll cook it rare and when almost done I'll put a lid on to sweat the onion a little, and to melt the cheese. Unfortunately I forgot to get smoked bacon! And I've only just realised. Shops are closed here on Sundays.
Omg I read that as ANUS burgers.....🤣

Epona when you do a defrost, you can keep most of it frozen by wrapping it in old towels or newspaper and popping it in your bath or the sink in your bathroom That way you don't have to eat everything in a oner.

Yeah I know but our flat is fucking boiling, I can salvage most of it however - like the massive bag of quorn mince I have cooked up with onions, garlic, tomato - that can be refrozen as a base for veggie chilli or bolognese. I have some chicken defrosting in the fridge which I will cook later. Most stuff has been salvaged thankfully!

This is what I do - frozen stuff wrapped in those insulated bags/newspaper/towels - pack the stuff most likely to defrost quickest in the middle - and left wherever the coolest place is (on the floor if it's all hot - but the freezer will defrost quicker anyway then) - then put bowls of boiling water in each freezer shelf, too - towels on the floor (pref ones that were already dirty :thumbs: ).
Needs constant attention but takes no time at all and frozen stuff is still frozen enough to go back in.
I do that with a fridge freezer. Turn it off but keep the fridge closed, set 15 minute timers and then spend 2-3 hours mopping up the bottom of the fridge and replacing hot water as/when etc.
SO fucking boring - I really HATE MY LIFE every time I do it - but job done quickly, with no need to use any/all of the contents, immediately.

This is what I do - frozen stuff wrapped in those insulated bags/newspaper/towels - pack the stuff most likely to defrost quickest in the middle - and left wherever the coolest place is (on the floor if it's all hot - but the freezer will defrost quicker anyway then) - then put bowls of boiling water in each freezer shelf, too - towels on the floor (pref ones that were already dirty :thumbs: ).
Needs constant attention but takes no time at all and frozen stuff is still frozen enough to go back in.
I do that with a fridge freezer. Turn it off but keep the fridge closed, set 15 minute timers and then spend 2-3 hours mopping up the bottom of the fridge and replacing hot water as/when etc.
SO fucking boring - I really HATE MY LIFE every time I do it - but job done quickly, with no need to use any/all of the contents, immediately.

Re the bolded bit - yes, this exactly - it was OH's day off too and he wanted us to go to the pub, fair enough, so I didn't start the defrost until after we got back so it was quite late and I started to feel a bit grotty and resentful :D

Have now done a small restock (although planning a proper shop when OH next has a day off).

I have boiled some some little spuds to make potato salad in a bit, will also have Greek salad (I love me a bit of Greek salad in case you hadn't noticed), with a chicken kiev (shop bought, not home made)

The girl has just returned from working at the local community fridge with a 1.5kg block of super expensive goat cheese that no one wanted for a week so they were going to dump it. Pics to follow
You can probably freeze that or some of it.

Did chimenea tea for self and friend. Pitta bread, halloumi and veg skewers, hummus, yoghurt with wild garlic, chilli sauce. Extra pittas for the freezer.

We went with one of those pizza meal deal things in the end. So cheese pizza (chilli and mushroom added to the adult side), cajun onion rings, dirty fries and some sort of cookie dough cake thing.

Tomorrow I dunno, I have gotten a shoulder of pork out, so ideas welcome 👍 I am currently thinking either roast dinner or maybe slow cook it and either go cajun and have it with rice.

Ha! I was just looking for this thread, and lo, it appeared at the top of my 'New posts' thing. Love it.

So, tonight I'm cooking for my mate the culinary delight of Sausages, chips, and peas or beans. He is running late and I've just got back from the pub and had a spliff, he definitely cant cook, so could be interesting provided I say awake.

Spaghetti with the resto of the pesto and finally!!! some runner beans from the handful of plants not slaughtered at birth by snails. Stewed apple with custard possibly in a bit.
I thought I hated pesto ( due to pap johns pizzas iirc), then the other day, I found some sun-dried tomato pesto stuff in the cupboard that I think I got from our local 'Community fridge', made some spaghetti bunged it in and it was absolutely lovely

Back
Top Bottom