Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I had a paella type thing with chicken, red peppers, and peas. I was supposed to be doing similar for OH with seafood but he had a really late lunch (cullen skink type thing, quite hearty) then fell asleep on the sofa then decided to go to bed early - he's working tomorrow. We're very grateful that he has been getting work but he's only had 1 day a week off for a while now and he just kind of collapses a bit and sleeps on Sundays, fair enough. I'll finish cooking that for him (adding rice and prawns!) tomorrow when he gets home from work.

That was one of the meals my father and I both loved. He used to take me to museums and art galleries when I was 6 or 7 and we’d have pilchards (or sardines) on toast. Bitter sweet memories now he’s gone.
It brings back memories of my childhood in Birmingham too. Whenever my mum could afford to treat us, she'd take us to a cafe (sadly knocked down years ago) that served really nice sardines on toast, and toasted teacake for afters.

It brings back memories of my childhood in Birmingham too. Whenever my mum could afford to treat us, she'd take us to a cafe (sadly knocked down years ago) that served really nice sardines on toast, and toasted teacake for afters.
Did they grill the sardines to warm them? That was Dad’s “trick.” Had to be pilchards/sardines in tomato sauce, nothing else. And teacakes with a lot of butter melting on them.

I find warming them in the oven for five minutes or the microwave works just as well.
I’ll try that next time.

I think the first time I had them in a gallery with Dad was in The Tate. It was definitely one of the big ones. It was just me and him. We went on a day trip to London. I don’t know where my mother and sister were. I remember we changed at Peterborough for the Louth to Grimsby line.

This is flooding back memories!

Pilchards remind me of mashed pilchard butties, that my mother would make for picnics. Looked like murder on a butty but tasted amazing.

The fella's still feeling ropey after his Covid jab, so he requested something 'easy on the stomach'. Spinach and mascarpone penne it is then, with a squeeze of lemon juice, toasted pine nuts and parmesan over the top.

Toying with the idea of making that self-saucing lemon pudding that was mentioned on here. That, or I'll make gooey dark choc and cranberry cookies.

Back
Top Bottom