Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Vegan diets are healthier and safer for dogs' says The Guardian about University of Winchester survey

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying here, can you spell it out in plain language for me.

You post a news head line about a paedophile who is a butcher. What exactly do you mean?

If you said your Butcher sold dog food I could understand that but I don't get precisely what you mean by your posts.

Stop eating meat, it’s wrong.

I've referenced several studies as well you know, but the usual gang of meat fans just want to disrupt any hope of a decent discussion and talk shit
I think part of the problem is you don't appear to know how scientific studies work. You then see something that fits with your worldview and post it up as fact when it scientifically isn't. At least that's how it comes across to me. You might have had a better response if you'd posted the article and asked what posters thought about it.

I think part of the problem is you don't appear to know how scientific studies work.

Ah we're going along the patronising route now. So lets get back to the dog fighting, the pooch pics and all the other shit that this thread has been polluted with, eh?

Oh and for the record, I posted up the first study to start a discussion and not as a claim of absolute proof of anything.

Ah we're going along the patronising route now. So lets get back to the dog fighting, the pooch pics and all the other shit that this thread has been polluted with, eh?

Oh and for the record, I posted up the first study to start a discussion and not as a claim of absolute proof of anything.
That's a tad disingenuous.

'Well, who would have thought?' was your only comment. Yet you have subsequently been pissed off when people have criticised the article and the study.

Did you read the study as well as the article? Some of the rest of us did. Yet you chuck around general accusations of dismissing it 'out of hand' (who exactly has done that? name names). Reading it and giving specific criticisms of it is not 'out of hand'.

That's a tad disingenuous.

'Well, who would have thought?' was your only comment. Yet you have subsequently been pissed off when people have criticised the article and the study.

Did you read the study as well as the article? Some of the rest of us did. Yet you chuck around general accusations of dismissing it 'out of hand' (who exactly has done that? name names). Reading it and giving specific criticisms of it is not 'out of hand'.

You're one of the worst offenders for endless whataboutery. In this thread you've gone on about human vegan diets, the hunting of mammoths, human brain size and meat eating, the ice age, watching Crufts on TV, the fact that your cat likes olives, and your usual total obsession with supplements as a means to put down vegans. And then you jump into criticise me while making no comment whatsoever on the fucking irrelevant drivel posted up by your fellow meat eaters.

Is it a requirement that discussions around the topic of what we should eat, extended here to what our pets should eat, should remain at the fluffy la la level? That mission statement from the Vegan Society contains a fair old bit of that, waffling about Pythagoras and Buddha. A more honest statement might read more like:

For thousands of years, humans have dreamed of a more compassionate relationship with animals. From Pythagoras and Buddha through to the founders of our society, people searched for ways to live that did not involve the exploitation of our fellow creatures. Sadly, at the time of the society's founding, this remained an impractical proposition. Pasty-faced and lethargic, the early veganists struggled to win converts to their cause. We were unable to escape our evolutionary legacy as omnivores, which had left us with a need to eat animal products. But in recent decades, thanks to advances in modern science, we can finally realise their dream of a healthy plant-based diet. We can fearlessly advocate our diet for others, and now even feed it to our dogs! Our companions for many thousands of years, dogs have evolved an ability to eat starchy food that their wolf ancestors lacked. Like us, they still require nutrients only found in animal products, but as with human food, these nutrients can now be produced in industrial laboratories and added to a plant-based diet to provide everything a dog needs. As we look towards a more sustainable future, modern industrial society is finding ways to solve the problems that it itself has caused. Along the way, it has finally made veganism a viable alternative.

But that's not very fluffy la la.

Is it a requirement that discussions around the topic of what we should eat, extended here to what our pets should eat, should remain at the fluffy la la level? That mission statement from the Vegan Society contains a fair old bit of that, waffling about Pythagoras and Buddha. A more honest statement might read more like:

For thousands of years, humans have dreamed of a more compassionate relationship with animals. From Pythagoras and Buddha through to the founders of our society, people searched for ways to live that did not involve the exploitation of our fellow creatures. Sadly, at the time of the society's founding, this remained an impractical proposition. Pasty-faced and lethargic, the early veganists struggled to win converts to their cause. We were unable to escape our evolutionary legacy as omnivores, which had left us with a need to eat animal products. But in recent decades, thanks to advances in modern science, we can finally realise their dream of a healthy plant-based diet. We can fearlessly advocate our diet for others, and now even feed it to our dogs! Our companions for many thousands of years, dogs have evolved an ability to eat starchy food that their wolf ancestors lacked. Like us, they still require nutrients only found in animal products, but as with human food, these nutrients can now be produced in industrial laboratories and added to a plant-based diet to provide everything a dog needs. As we look towards a more sustainable future, modern industrial society is finding ways to solve the problems that it itself has caused. Along the way, it has finally made veganism a viable alternative.

A new day, a new whataboutery with an undated, link-free quote posted with your usual level of contempt for those seeking a world that has less cruelty to animals.

Inappropriate Content

The trouble with these threads is that the OPs are so often dripping with sarcasm and rank arrogance that nobody believes for a minute that they’re posted in good faith and everyone responds accordingly.

What’s the problem with what LBJ wrote. If dogs can live a healthy life with a vegan diet, let’s hear it. It will include supplements the same as for humans but so what. The resource usage is also worth looking at Same as food for humans of course. But if a vegan diet works for dogs and is on the whole more environmentally friendly than the one they get now, fine.
I still don’t understand why a vegan would buy a pet dog as opposed to getting a rescue one. But there you are. Apparently asking questions is offensive or nitpicking or something.

What’s the problem with what LBJ wrote. If dogs can live a healthy life with a vegan diet, let’s hear it. It will include supplements the same as for humans but so what. The resource usage is also worth looking at Same as food for humans of course. But if a vegan diet works for dogs and is on the whole more environmentally friendly than the one they get now, fine.
I still don’t understand why a vegan would buy a pet dog as opposed to getting a rescue one. But there you are. Apparently asking questions is offensive or nitpicking or something.
Agreed but where is that mentioned here?

LBJ prattles on claiming that vegans HAVE TO HAVE supplements where they don't. Plenty of non vegans take supplements, the industry is worth millions and millions, can't be all vegans can it. When called on their shite they usually go quiet for a bit and just come back with more

Agreed but where is that mentioned here?

LBJ prattles on claiming that vegans HAVE TO HAVE supplements where they don't. Plenty of non vegans take supplements, the industry is worth millions and millions, can't be all vegans can it. When called on their shite they usually go quiet for a bit and just come back with more

I thought vegans needed a B12 supplement? Of course yep lots of meat eaters need supplements because they aren’t eating a balanced diet.
The whole supplements industry, processed food industry affects everyone meat eaters vegans alike. We shouldn’t have arguments over that between us.

I thought vegans needed a B12 supplement? Of course yep lots of meat eaters need supplements because they aren’t eating a balanced diet.
The whole supplements industry, processed food industry affects everyone meat eaters vegans alike. We shouldn’t have arguments over that between us.

LBJ is by far the best read and informed U75 poster on this subject.

I'd ignore what others say on here if I were you. He's right.

LBJ is by far the best read and informed U75 poster on this subject.

I'd ignore what others say on here if I were you. He's right.

Why do you think that? No they don't

So why is it always ALWAYS used to make the pathetic point that to be vegan you have to have extra stuff that's not "natural", it's just a bashing tool, along with all the tedious whattaboutery, nitpicking and hypocrisy hunting

The only supplement I’ve been taking for the past few years is vitamin D. I’m vegan. My GP sends me for annual blood tests & the B12 is consistently fine.
As mentioned previously, that will be because you eat fortified food such as marmite to which B12 is added.

It's very easy to eat a healthy vegan diet nowadays if you know what you're doing.

So I was being tongue in cheek but I had a point. are we only allowed to talk about this po facedly.
every post on this thread from every participant has been a facsimile of their posts on the last vegan thread, and the one before it, and the one before that. No-one is talking about anything, it's just a weird little ritual.

I've been a vegan nearly forty years now and have never taken any supplements. Might have laid down a good constitution as a kid, but while I'm fairly slim I'm supposedly ideal weight for my height and spent a fair few years of my youth doing heavy manual labour on it. We don't really eat much in the way of processed foods either, all home Chinese cooking by and large though must confess to buying veg sausages to have with mash when there's no-one else eating.

So no doctors give bad advice ever?
Either way, you'll just get shittier and shittier and this thread's been proper shat on already.... carry on

Shit advice = doesn’t concur with your ideological stance. You’re like the religious zealots who’d rather their kid die than have a blood transfusion. Or the anti-vax lot.

Back
Top Bottom