Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

More than that, though, it sets the agenda. The topics chosen are those trending on Twitter. That dictates what gets discussed, who gets invited on the show, everything. Not just political stuff, either. Reports of terrorist incidents, fires, accidents, etc, get gathered initially from Twitter. That's the bit that surprised me.
yes, last three days for example in the UK we've had fishers decrying postbrexit red tape and parents receiving insulting food parcles posting directly to twitter and in both cases playing a massive role in setting the news agenda and government agenda from the bottom up

Rudy Giuliani is facing possible expulsion from the New York State Bar Association over incendiary remarks he made to President Donald Trump’s supporters last week before they violently stormed the U.S. Capitol. NBC New York’s Chris Glorioso reports.

This may reduce his daily $20,000 rate :(

yes, last three days for example in the UK we've had fishers decrying postbrexit red tape and parents receiving insulting food parcles posting directly to twitter and in both cases playing a massive role in setting the news agenda and government agenda from the bottom up
Yeah, it's definitely not all bad. On the other hand, strikes me that stories can become amplified with extreme positions being highlighted the most because those are the positions that are shouted the loudest. Here in the UK, I'd put the disputes over trans rights, 'Terfs', etc, in that category.

Last line:

If this is not impeachable conduct, nothing is.

And he makes good points that it's not just about his speech on the day, but also what he tweeted after the speech, his calls to Republicans during the siege, and his refusal to send in the National Guard. That last bit seems the most damning of all to me, given that the Republican senators he'll be relying on in any trial were all at that moment inside the Capitol and I can't imagine any of them were happy with the fact Trump had refused to call in armed help.
Most of the GOP senators most probably thought that they would be safe as the rioters wouldn't attack them. They should have all had some sort of identifiable markings or badge
1610686699679.png1610686699679.png

The comedy goldmine continues to deliver

TWOjYfN.png

'QAnon Shaman' hires St. Louis attorney Al Watkins, seeks pardon for following Trump's 'invitation' - kmov.com (paywalled - archive.org version)
St. Louis attorney Albert Watkins is representing a man pictured in viral photos of the Capitol unrest and is making a direct plea for a pardon.

Angeli "accepted President Trump's invitation to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol," Watkins said in a statement. “Mr. Chansley is an American; he served honorably in the U.S. military. He has zero criminal history. He is a lover of nature, routinely practices meditation, is an active practicer of yoga and eats only organic food. He took seriously the countless messages of President Trump. He believed in President Trump. Like tens of millions of other Americans, Chansley felt -- for the first time in his life -- as though his voice was being heard.”

Watkins said Angeli played no part in the violence and surrendered peacefully, warranting a pardon. “My client had heard the oft-repeated words of President Trump,” Mr. Watkins continued. “The words and invitation of a president are supposed to mean something. Given the peaceful and compliant fashion in which Mr. Chansley comported himself, it would be appropriate and honorable for the president to pardon Mr. Chansley and other like-minded, peaceful individuals who accepted the president’s invitation with honorable intentions.”

E7jKdwQ.png

Some who stormed Capitol insist, 'What I did was journalism" - Los Angeles Times (archived)

When the livestreamer known as Dick NeCarlo entered the U.S. Capitol last week with a mob incited by President Trump, he said he wasn’t there to join the insurrection but to report on the mayhem shaking the nation. (...) He and colleague Nicholas Ochs were dispatched by Murder the Media, a right-wing company based in Monte Rio, Calif., that posts video and livestreams. NeCarlo donned an MT Media shirt and hat. Ochs — host of “The Ochs Report” and leader of the far-right nationalist Proud Boys in Hawaii — wore an MT Media badge.

They interviewed pro-Trump extremists and followed them into the Capitol. The two — who view themselves as gonzo journalists in the image of the late Hunter S. Thompson — paused for a photograph in front of a door where someone had scrawled “Murder the Media.” They identified themselves as reporters to police, who didn’t stop them, NeCarlo said. (...)

But there was less journalism and more far-right sentiment evident in video the two men soon posted: “Congress stopped the vote when we stormed the Capitol. As we’ve been saying all day: We came here to stop the steal,” Ochs says. "We did it!” NeCarlo replies. “That’s what I came down here to do. That’s what we did.” (...)

The next day, Ochs was arrested by the FBI on federal charges of unlawful entry into a restricted building. His Twitter account was shut down.

jAQmYcz.png

Man Charged With Beating Police Officer With American Flag During Capitol Attack - Wall Street Journal (archived)

A confidential informant notified the FBI on Tuesday that they recognized Mr. Stager from videos posted online in social media , and from another video in which Mr. Stager allegedly said: “Everybody in there is a treasonous traitor. Death is the only remedy for what’s in that building.”

Another associate spoke to Mr. Stager about his involvement (...) That associate told the FBI that Mr. Stager had relayed that he believed the person he was striking was associated with the left-wing antifa movement, but the photos show the officer laying on the ground with the words METROPOLITAN POLICE across his back, the document said.

Literally none of the people she is complaining about mentioned her name. So she appears to have dropped herself in it. Also check the date lol

You'd think that individual citizens being led on tours by members would be recorded, so it should be perfectly straightforward for them to prove their innocence?

If, indeed, they are innocent.

Gems, all three. Particularly the defence for hippie Q dude, my client’s only crime was taking the president at his word, excellent.

I've been saying for a while that the lower ranks of the military were being radicalized by the far right:

1610719220302.png

WASHINGTON (AP) — As President Donald Trump’s supporters massed outside the Capitol last week and sang the national anthem, a line of men wearing olive-drab helmets and body armor trudged purposefully up the marble stairs in a single-file line, each man holding the jacket collar of the one ahead.

The formation, known as “Ranger File,” is standard operating procedure for a combat team that is “stacking up” to breach a building — instantly recognizable to any U.S. soldier or Marine who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was a chilling sign that many at the vanguard of the mob that stormed the seat of American democracy either had military training or were trained by those who did.

An Associated Press review of public records, social media posts and videos shows at least 21 current or former members of the U.S. military or law enforcement have been identified as being at or near the Capitol riot, with more than a dozen others under investigation but not yet named. In many cases, those who stormed the Capitol appeared to employ tactics, body armor and technology such as two-way radio headsets that were similar to those of the very police they were confronting.

Experts in homegrown extremism have warned for years about efforts by far-right militants and white-supremacist groups to radicalize and recruit people with military and law enforcement training, and they say the Jan. 6 insurrection that left five people dead saw some of their worst fears realized.

“ISIS and al-Qaida would drool over having someone with the training and experience of a U.S. military officer,” said Michael German, a former FBI agent and fellow with the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University. “These people have training and capabilities that far exceed what any foreign terrorist group can do. Foreign terrorist groups don’t have any members who have badges.”

Capitol rioters included highly trained ex-military and cops (msn.com)

Its going to take a lot of work to pull things back on track, but I don't see many of our politicians having the will to do it.

Back
Top Bottom