Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

I listened to the Qanon Anonymous podcast yesterday. They had an interview with the man who invaded the Capitol with the women who was trampled to death. He held her as she died.

When asked whether he thought Trump has blood on his hands he sounded astounded at the suggestion and responded passionately "It was Anteefa!".

From the man who'd listened to Trump and as a result invaded the Capitol.

Nb, I see people on Twitter claiming the Capitol was stormed while Trump was still speaking, as if this somehow clears Orange Donnie of inviting everyone there to overturn an election in the first place, but can't find a fact check on this, does anyone know how the timings compare?
This is a thread that spells out what happened when, that day. Before trump had finished speaking a big lot of his crowd had already marched to the capitol and clashes with police were ongoing, but they didn’t actually get into the building until later.

I wanted to see which bits specifically of Trump's speech are seen as inciting violence. Thought I'd read a transcript. Found one -

And then saw how long it is. I've kind of skim-read it. I don't see bits where he is clearly inciting violence. Which bits are they?

Will the Proud Boys hunker down, and become the Casa Pound of the US? I could see it happening, if they have some coherence and avoid the usual in-fighting...

Crikey there’s loads, of photos of national guard resting all over the capitol building today (whilst politicians are doing the impeachment thing).
I think I've spotted a crucial flaw in their defenses, which is that they're all asleep. I reckon it'd be a piece of piss to get past them, you'd just have to tiptoe and try not to tread on any squeaky toys or anything.

I wanted to see which bits specifically of Trump's speech are seen as inciting violence. Thought I'd read a transcript. Found one -

And then saw how long it is. I've kind of skim-read it. I don't see bits where he is clearly inciting violence. Which bits are they?

Yes that did occur to me as well. I don't think at any point he explicitly encourages violence. It will have to be decided whether it was highly irresponsible or actually criminal. This sort of thing is not unusual though, just because you don't explicitly state something doesn't mean that people don't know what you are implying and doesn't mean you can't be held responsible for your words.

We'll have to wait and see.

Yes that did occur to me as well. I don't think at any point he explicitly encourages violence. It will have to be decided whether it was highly irresponsible or actually criminal. This sort of thing is not unusual though, just because you don't explicitly state something doesn't mean that people don't know what you are implying and doesn't mean you can't be held responsible for your words.

Is it definitely what he was intentionally implying, or is it what people who want him impeached want him to have been intentionally implying?

Even that doesn't seem totally clear to me. Most of it just seems like his normal jumbled ramblings. For sure he wanted some angry protesters waving banners outside the Capitol, but there's nothing basically wrong with that.

But I might have missed some bits. I didn't have the strength to read the whole lot carefully.

Yeah, it really doesn't matter at all how explicit the words used were; it'll be political judgements made by senate members that determines his guilt or not.

Is it definitely what he was intentionally implying, or is it what people who want him impeached want him to have been intentionally implying?

Even that doesn't seem totally clear to me. Most of it just seems like his normal jumbled ramblings. For sure he wanted some angry protesters waving banners outside the Capitol, but there's nothing basically wrong with that.

But I might have missed some bits. I didn't have the strength to read the whole lot carefully.
There is a lot basically wrong with that, given that inside the Capitol, they were certifying the election. Anyway, this isn't a trial in a criminal court. They don't have to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt of a criminal act. All they need to do to remove him from office is find him guilty of breaking his oath to uphold the constitution.

There is a lot basically wrong with that, given that inside the Capitol, they were certifying the election. Anyway, this isn't a trial in a criminal court. They don't have to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt of a criminal act. All they need to do to remove him from office is find him guilty of breaking his oath to uphold the constitution.
Is there a bit in the constitution that says people can't protest outside the Capitol while they are doing certain types of business?

The stuff about it being braver for Mike Pence to do nothing was pretty clearly indicating a threat to Pence.

Would have been good if they'd got Pence tbh.

The whole thing is about the big lie that he won the election but the bad guys in the capitol building stole it from ‘us’. Repeated a thousand times and the rallying call for the demo and all of this.
I haven’t read the impeachment papers but I’d have thought /hoped that would be the focus not the details of that single speech held just before they got into the building (or the one he made during it where he said he loved them but they should go home now).

Is there a bit in the constitution that says people can't protest outside the Capitol while they are doing certain types of business?
We're talking about what Trump did, and what he was trying to do, which was to overturn the election. On their terms, it's pretty hard to argue that he hasn't broken his oath to uphold the constitution. And that's all they have to find him guilty of to chuck him out.

And note that no Republicans are publicly arguing that he hasn't broken that oath. Some are now coming down in favour of impeachment, while others are whining about how it is unnecessarily divisive, and others have gone very quiet. Not hearing any saying 'no, he did nothing wrong'.

Last edited:
We're talking about what Trump did, and what he was trying to do, which was to overturn the election. On their terms, it's pretty hard to argue that he hasn't broken his oath to uphold the constitution. And that's all they have to find him guilty of to chuck him out.
yeh by a 2/3 majority. in the senate. which is split 50/50.

Back
Top Bottom