Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

Another example would be Pompeos shit joke about a 2nd Trump administration being taken seriously by some sections of the media.
I do think it would be a mistake to think that (for instance) was either a joke or not a joke. It's neither / both - its a case of flinging as much chaos and noise around as possible and maybe just maybe it ends up with another four years, but if not you can say of course you were only joking.

Another example would be Pompeos shit joke about a 2nd Trump administration being taken seriously by some sections of the media.
Yes and no. I agree that Pompeo wasn't being entirely serious. But I also agree with bimble that he also wasn't entirely joking. He did not at any point acknowledge reality. It was his way of not getting the sack while not looking 100% like a toad. Just 97.5%.

Yes and no. I agree that Pompeo wasn't being entirely serious. But I also agree with bimble that he also wasn't entirely joking. He did not at any point acknowledge reality. It was his way of not getting the sack while not looking 100% like a toad. Just 97.5%.
He wasn't joking. He was making a statement. He smiled because he knew it was outrageous, not because he was piss-taking. What was behind the statement wasn't necessarily the knowledge that the election could be stolen, he was just saying "We are not conceding".

Basically just because they will fail this time doesn't make it all that much less fucking mental what's been going on this week. What happens if in 4 years the republicans lose really narrowly, they have shown very clearly what they are willing to go along with.
The lesson the Republicans should be taking from this is that changing the election after the vote, unless it is genuinely knife-edge like 2000, won't work. They need to get their voter suppression groundwork done before the voting.

Basically just because they will fail this time doesn't make it all that much less fucking mental what's been going on this week. What happens if in 4 years the republicans lose really narrowly, they have shown very clearly what they are willing to go along with.
This is the thing. There isn't going to be a coup, but not because of a want of trying.

He wasn't joking. He was making a statement. He smiled because he knew it was outrageous, not because he was piss-taking. What was behind the statement wasn't necessarily the knowledge that the election could be stolen, he was just saying "We are not conceding".
What was behind the smile was the certain knowledge that the election cannot be stolen, but your last bit is of course correct. He was saying what he had to say to keep his job. He still makes himself look ridiculous.

This is the thing. There isn't going to be a coup, but not because of a want of trying.
Nah. Vanishingly few of the people involved in this - including of course the lawyers presenting the absurd court cases - actually think this could work, let alone that it will work. Nobody is seriously attempting a coup, aside perhaps from the deluded orange one himself.

So 'fuck them', describe them as 'depraved garbage', where does that end up, what does it achieve? 70m people written off as an enemy in perpetuity?
Let's keep a sense of perspective. There are also 75 million spotless heroes who voted for Biden. The glass is half full.
"Bob and Sally disappeared during the events that later became known as "the trouble"".

What was behind the smile was the certain knowledge that the election cannot be stolen, but your last bit is of course correct. He was saying what he had to say to keep his job. He still makes himself look ridiculous.
that's all you think it was? one man trying to keep his job for another few weeks?

This is the thing I think, he absolutely would do it if he could get it done, but he doesn’t understand because he is after all a stupid man, that it won’t work. He does not have a cunning plan if he was only asking about how to line up some faithless electors on Wednesday, same day as me googling them.

This will be part of his "I know how to cut a deal" schtick, won't it? "Pah, rules, schmules, take me to the top bloke and we'll sort it over a game of golf. Simples".

Except he's having a bit of trouble realising that domestic politics isn't quite like snake oil sales. Similar, but different in crucial details.

This will be part of his "I know how to cut a deal" schtick, won't it? "Pah, rules, schmules, take me to the top bloke and we'll sort it over a game of golf. Simples".

Except he's having a bit of trouble realising that domestic politics isn't quite like snake oil sales. Similar, but different in crucial details.
if that reporting there is accurate it's kind of amazing that trump only got around to pondering whether he could get states to force electors to vote for him (regardless of what the people in those states they are meant to represent wanted) on Wednesday this week. Worst coup ever.
Maybe he'd have had a better chance if he'd not sacked everyone he wasn't related to.

if that reporting there is accurate it's kind of amazing that trump only got around to pondering whether he could get states to force electors to vote for him (regardless of what the people in those states they are meant to represent wanted) on Wednesday this week. Worst coup ever.
Think it's very plausible that Trump didn't engage with any of the detail at all before Wednesday (although there's also no way that that type of gossip is reliable in the first place).

So Pompeo, Trump's secretary of state, was making a joke at Trump's expense for whose amusement?

Whatever, if I stick around in this thread trying to explain then I will end up being part of something I already said I intend to avoid.

I will fret only if a certain threshold is reached, and since that threshold is nowhere in sight I am done for now. Got better things to worry about than the shit end of this Trump circus.

Back
Top Bottom