Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1992

I don't think we've had any Japanoise yet. This is a bit of classic. Hijokaidan - The Neverending Story of the King of Noise

Nor the Japanese brutal progsters Ruins - Burning Stone

Release date was 11th Jan 1993. Might've been some white labels floating about in late '92. My favourite RDJ album. I'll definitely be voting for it in the '93 poll.

Holy fuck! I've just looked at how much the vinyl sells for on discogs. The cheapest copy is £158.94 :eek: [glances at my copy sqeezed in with all my other early 90s ambient/trance stuff]
Ah, OK. I was just going on what Allmusic said, but Wiki says it was released in January '93, so I'll do as you suggested.

It'll definitely be up there in my 93 submission, but not number one, because I know what that is already.

What was happening in hardcore in 1992? The second Sick of it All album came out then, but there must've been other stuff.
Oh, and there doesn't seem to have been much mention of Skinny Puppy's Last Rites. Possibly because it's not as good as Psalm 69?

Oh, and no-one's mentioned Code: Selfish yet. I wouldn't claim it as the best Fall album, but I've just learned from wikipedia that Free Range was the best-selling Fall single that's not a cover, so if you take that one very very specific measurement then you could claim 1992 as the height of the Fall's career?

Oh, and no-one's mentioned Code: Selfish yet. I wouldn't claim it as the best Fall album, but I've just learned from wikipedia that Free Range was the best-selling Fall single that's not a cover, so if you take that one very very specific measurement then you could claim 1992 as the height of the Fall's career?
No. Code: Selfish is a decent contender for worst ever Fall album. The opening track is OK.

This dropped in 1992

Symphonies of the Planets 1-5: NASA Voyager Recordings

You could call it ambient drone if you like.

John Cale - Fragments of Rainy Season. Just Cale singing playing the piano . Never the strongest voice tbh but definitely expressive however he carries an entire show of back catalogue off very well.

The Church - Priest=Aura . Another fine album which never got the attention it should have done due to grunge being heavily promoted. Hazy , almost opiate with etheral shimmering guitars . Definitely worth a listen

Well I've done a list and looked at some lists, and this really is one of those years where there is no obvious consensus. One of those "bad years" which end up dredging up some really fascinating obscurities.

There's everything to play for, you all have tomorrow to submit or modify.

My minions are standing by.

Bad Year? BAD YEAR!!!

It was an amazing year for music of all different types. Probably the second best year in music in the last thirty five years after 1991 (in my very humble opinion obvs).

Knotted Does it actually make a difference what order I put them in? Are votes weighted or can I just chuck them in any old order?

Yes. Put your favourite first. The weighting is on a 90% ratio, each is worth 90% of the previous' value. If you want to put them all in equal I will just average the value.

Pretty sure they are weighted.

The OP says best first going down to worst but because I'm a total anarchist* I did my list from Number 20 descending to Number 1.

actually because I did the list and *then read the OP.

Pretty sure they are weighted.

The OP says best first going down to worst but because I'm a total anarchist* I did my list from Number 20 descending to Number 1.

*actually because I did the list and *then read the OP.

It's alright I have a minion dedicated to reversing lists and removing numbering.

Yeah, I feel like my list for 1992 makes my taste look much more varied than the 82 list does.

Never listened to it, but there's an early Mountain Goats cassette-only release from 92 called The Hound Chronicles, if anyone wants to vote for that. Their output for 2002 is a bit more impressive, though. (Probably, I've not heard the Hound Chronicles so maybe it's the best thing ever recorded.)

OK everyone, if you've submitted and not received a like that means I've missed you, if so give us a shout.

Hollis
belboid
Fez909
Joe Chi Min
Raheem
ATOMIC SUPLEX
WhyLikeThis
CNT36
marty21
Boris Sprinkler
blairsh
klang
andysays
platinumsage
Steel Icarus
cloudyday
mojo pixy
nogojones
Orang Utan
rekil
Pickman's model
SpookyFrank
Dystopiary

If any of you fancy submitting a list do so for tomorrow morning please. Or ask for an extension etc.
Hardly touched me list!

Back
Top Bottom