Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1992

Supposedly he asked his friends which were their favourite tracks from all the tapes he hit them with ... Whitled down from loads..... Suggests there's lots more from that era?

Iirc
According to Geir Jenssen (aka Biosphere):

The first time I went to R&S, Richard James also came over - he was invited by Renaat [Vandepapeliere], who runs the label. And he came with a little rucksack and a big plastic bag full of tapes. And that turned out to be Selected Ambient Works 1985-92 and "Didgeridoo" and all those singles. He was sitting in the studio, taping all the tracks onto a DAT to make a master for Renaat to pick tracks later. He didn't save anything on his computer, he just recorded it to tape and erased it from his hard disk.

There's various versions of how it all came together. Big albums attract mythologies and RDJ isn't shy of encouraging them. As far as I know he's never spoken in depth about the details. Quite when the tracks were recorded is open to guesswork. The 1 minute ambient interlude "i" was definitely recorded in 1985 when RDJ was 13 but Mike Paradinas says:

One thing I would say is that anything with the R8 drum machine is made after late 1989 when it was released by Roland. This means all the tracks on SAW (apart from i )

There's various versions of how it all came together. Big albums attract mythologies and RDJ isn't shy of encouraging them. As far as I know he's never spoken in depth about the details. Quite when the tracks were recorded is open to guesswork. The 1 minute ambient interlude "i" was definitely recorded in 1985 when RDJ was 13 but Mike Paradinas says:
I've always found that track a bit odd on SAW1, I think every other track on the album is a masterpiece but "i" is a bit meh. I wonder if he only included it so he could have 85 in the title as his earliest works.

Mixmaster Morris' first album of fluffy ambience as The Irresistible Force - Flying High
Lovely stuff, perfect for hot days sunbathing in the garden.

.... Suggests there's lots more from that era?

Iirc
Just remembered, when there was that massive dump of unreleased aphex music I vaguely remember someone put together a mix of early tunes to match Aw1, but my memory is bad and also I don't think the tunes were properly dated.... ?? If so then it would be guess work or just tunes the compiler liked.

Just remembered, when there was that massive dump of unreleased aphex music I vaguely remember someone put together a mix of early tunes to match Aw1, but my memory is bad and also I don't think the tunes were properly dated.... ?? If so then it would be guess work or just tunes the compiler liked.
Not a mix but this maybe

just done a little reading about the Aphex dump and early tunes
this fan google document

attempts to put an age to different tunes from the great big tune dump, most often from nerdy listening out for tape hiss and knowing his material well enough to be able to find similiar released tunes but also from quotes from RDJ himself

Progressive house!

92 was the year Guerilla Records became big, with a slew of singles and albums. I've got a real soft spot for this sound. Dunno if it's nostalgia or the quality of the tunes that does it for me.

Obviously the comp Dub House Disco was the best album they put out. But since comps remain BANNED there's 3 albums to choose from. Best is D.O.P.'s Musicians of the Mind. React 2 Rhythm's Whatever You Dream and Supereal's Elixir aren't far behind.

Here's a >link< to a 1992 DJ Magazine article about the label where they're already complaining about the name 'progressive house'. The mag came with a Justin Robertson mixtape of Guerilla tunes:

If? - English Boys on the Love Ranch
Nice balearic house but already the this genre sounded out of date by 1992.

The Nicolette album, think I dismissed it at the time expecting something more breakbeat hardcore sounding from SUAD but had a re-listen earlier this year and it's very good indeed.
Nicolette - Now is Early

its such an unusal mood to this...it was unusual at the time and its still unusual now...its the clash of her vocal style to the SUAD productions, but above all its the lyrics i think ... she just comes at it all from a very unique angle
i see shes done a couple of other albums over the years, am curious to give them a listen to see if it makes more 'sense' with a different beats style.
Single Minded People and O Si Nene (or whatever its called) were the two 12s that got quite a lot of play back in the day and ive got a lot of affection for those tunes...but yeah..nothing else quite like it, and still feels like a curve ball

dont think this has been mentioned -seemingly the only other album to come out on R&S in 92
"Biosphere is the main recording name of Geir Jenssen (born 1962), a Norwegian musician who has released a notable catalogue of ambient electronic music. He is well known for his "ambient techno" and "arctic ambient" styles, his use of music loops, and peculiar samples from sci-fi sources. His track "Novelty Waves" was used for the 1995 campaign of Levi's. His 1997 album Substrata was voted by www.hyperreal.org as one of the all time classic ambient albums."

ive not heard this before i dont think, though biosphere vaguely ringing some bells most likely from previous urban posts somewhere

anyhow its very good and got some 92ness about it that i particularly like

Never heard this final BDP album... hope its good

the cover is crazy!
LmpwZWc.jpeg

dont think this has been mentioned -seemingly the only other album to come out on R&S in 92
I think I voted for it last year as technically it first came out in 1991 on the Norwegian label Origo Sound but like most people, I imagine, I first heard it in 1992 when it came out on the R&S Apollo offshoot.
Same goes for Ultramarine's Every Man And Woman is a Star, I think most people heard the slightly different version that came out in Rough Trade in 1992 rather than the 1991 version on Brainiak.

Last edited:
Kitchens of Distinction - The Death of Cool. Criminally underrated band, really well crafted songs , and great guitar work.( shades of The Chameleon's echoey reverb on occasions ) Should have been better known but this sort of music got squeezed out of both air time and coverage by a torrent of American type grunge and the early Madchester scene. Anyway on revisiting it, it holds up really well and really deserves a listen.

LTkxMjYuanBlZw.jpeg

Somewhere between the UK hardcore and Detroit techno sounds of the time, this excellent album could only really have come from 92.

RIP Ian Loveday

Kym Sim's album holds up surprisingly well. Slightly cheesey pop-house and some 90s soul, but still very listenable, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom