Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1992

Derek Bailey - Solo Guitar Vol 2
derek-bailey-solo-guitar-volume-2-Cover-Art.jpg

Experimental grimy post punk band The Work's See has some fantastic moments on it. Very difficult to find to stream not least because of the non-search engine favourable name.

But here's the first three tracks. If you can find it give the song Tell a listen

the-work-see-Cover-Art.jpg

Trance!

Yeah, I know. Trance has a bad name and deservedly so, as it turned to shit around 95, became really bad around 98 and spent the next two decades as a byword for the worst, most formulaic, most commercial, dead end style of dance music, devoid of all merit. Or as psytrance, all pseudo-hippies and trustafarians dancing to an unchanging, never ending beat where even the biggest fans can't tell one tune from the next.

But 92 was the year trance became a thing. When it was new and exciting. Before there was a formula to be formulaic.

There's plenty of proto-trance in the years before. One of the biggest labels that developed the sound at the beginning of the 90s was Boy Records. They released two albums in 92 that were basically a full stop on that proto-trance sound, as much late 80s new-beat as trance. Time Modem's Transforming Tune is good, but I really love New Scene's Waves.

Often claimed as the first pure trance Tune Jam & Spoon did their massive remix of Age of Love in 92. Cosmic Baby released the Stellar Supreme album, which set the template for the euro-trance sound. Sven VΓ€th released Barbarella's The Art Of Dance.

In the UK the free party scene was in full swing and trance was one of the big sounds for some crusty soundsystems. Eat Static released their first tape Prepare Your Spirit, while Astralasia released The Politics Of Ecstasy. In Liverpool Timeshard released Hypoborean Dome Temples Of Apollo, one foot in the space rock scene and the other in the trancey ambient techno scene.

On the compilation front the Trancemaster series launched, with the first two in the ongoing series released in 92. The series charts the trance sound well, in that the first 6 comps, from 92 to 94 are great, the ones from 95 of variable quality and after that are all terrible all the time. Logic Trance came out, which is just a fucking fantastic comp. Tranceworld - Underwater Sunlight is another great 92 trance comp, varied, interesting, everything trance isn't noted for 30 years later.

I fucking love trance music from 92.

XTC's Nonsuch is a bit of a hit and miss beast. Usual arguments with the label, no obvious singles but some great songs. Not least the Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead

Trance!

Yeah, I know. Trance has a bad name and deservedly so, as it turned to shit around 95, became really bad around 98 and spent the next two decades as a byword for the worst, most formulaic, most commercial, dead end style of dance music, devoid of all merit. Or as psytrance, all pseudo-hippies and trustafarians dancing to an unchanging, never ending beat where even the biggest fans can't tell one tune from the next.

But 92 was the year trance became a thing. When it was new and exciting. Before there was a formula to be formulaic.

There's plenty of proto-trance in the years before. One of the biggest labels that developed the sound at the beginning of the 90s was Boy Records. They released two albums in 92 that were basically a full stop on that proto-trance sound, as much late 80s new-beat as trance. Time Modem's Transforming Tune is good, but I really love New Scene's Waves.

Often claimed as the first pure trance Tune Jam & Spoon did their massive remix of Age of Love in 92. Cosmic Baby released the Stellar Supreme album, which set the template for the euro-trance sound. Sven VΓ€th released Barbarella's The Art Of Dance.

In the UK the free party scene was in full swing and trance was one of the big sounds for some crusty soundsystems. Eat Static released their first tape Prepare Your Spirit, while Astralasia released The Politics Of Ecstasy. In Liverpool Timeshard released Hypoborean Dome Temples Of Apollo, one foot in the space rock scene and the other in the trancey ambient techno scene.

On the compilation front the Trancemaster series launched, with the first two in the ongoing series released in 92. The series charts the trance sound well, in that the first 6 comps, from 92 to 94 are great, the ones from 95 of variable quality and after that are all terrible all the time. Logic Trance came out, which is just a fucking fantastic comp. Tranceworld - Underwater Sunlight is another great 92 trance comp, varied, interesting, everything trance isn't noted for 30 years later.

I fucking love trance music from 92.

I'd also add the Dance 2 Trance album - Moon Spirits

Sven VΓ€th's Accident in Paradise

Underground Resistance - Revolution for Change

I think its a comp though, but unsure of how the tracks were released

Yeah, it's a comp of tracks from their early singles put together by Birmingham based Network Records. Fucking fantastic record.

Some other good techno comps are:

Panic in Detroit
313 Detroit

Which both focus on the less banging end of Detroit techno. And from over the river in Ontario...

From Our Minds to Yours 2

If we've done the German trance scene, we should add the closely connected ambient output.
Dr Motte's Euphorhythm album "Chill Out Planet Earth

First album on Pete Namlook's Fax label - Pete Namlook & Dr Atmo - Silence

First album on Harthouse/Eye-Q's ambient label Recycle Or Die - Dominic Woosey - Straylight

I'd also add the Earth To Infinity album from David Moufang [Deep Space Network]

Former industrial types gone dance was a thing in 92.

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia, affiliates of Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth, released Ov Biospheres And Sacred Grooves:

And PWOG spin off Exquisite Corpse released Dream Night Dance Music:

There's Zoviet France side project Horizon 222's Through The Round Window:

And then there's Cabaret Voltaire's Plasticity, the first of their trilogy of ambient techno albums:

All of these are excellent.

KΓΆln's finest JΓΆrg Burger in one of his multitudinous aliases as The Bionaut released the fucking fantastic Everybody's Kissing Everyone, all poppy acid house. This album is so great.

I can only recall standout stuff from 91 and 93, 92 must have passed me by.

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Chumbawamba's best album. They happily sample and borrow their way through the whole album from the Rolling Stones to ABBA to the Smiths to Kylie without regard to copywrite, meaning it couldn't get an official release. It makes me smile.

Back
Top Bottom