Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Stick around this time Ronald - The guy who accused you of being a liar, well, he's one of those people who's just not quite bright enough to realise he's a bit simple. His private education was a pure waste of his parents dollars.

I not sure I was really arsed about that. I was just looking for something to get pissed off about and I was...and probably still am..drinking too much. Just now though, I'm in a maudlin, chilled out, sit in the corner of the bar and read the horoscopes type phase.

I haven't been institutionalized...yet. :D

You did post pictures of lynchings though. in a snide and underhand way of insinuating what? Bamalama's a racist? TBH, I don't know why you feel the need to do such things coz a lot of the time you are a pretty funny guy 9even though i have called you a wanker in the past).

As if by magic?

Anyway, I'm right about Manning. I'm looking at his innate ability to produce humour. In that, he was in a league of his own. He was a finely calibrated instrument.
If Greggs started putting lard, pollyfilla and sawdust through the mincer, the sausage rolls'd still look pristine. With Manning, it was lean pork 60% of the time, 20% sawdust, and the rest was, admittedly, a bit toxic. But when he was funny, he was very funny.

Nah, 1% funny, 99% offal. Awful stuff.

shit material. shit delivery.

You'd have to justify that. With all due respect to McLuhan, you're hitting a category error and conflating the message and the medium. His delivery, his timing and command of an audience was exemplary. You know how there's comedians these days who boast about their ability to demolish hecklers...like it's some sort of kite mark? Watch Manning and see how he does it. Or rather, don't bother trying. He didn't get hecklers.

Nah, 1% funny, 99% offal. Awful stuff.

Yeah, but you're looking at the 70s through a 2013 prism. Think of Bill and Ted..

Anyway 1% funny's still funny. I'd settle for that as a lifetime average...of stories I hear. Mostly, they're about incidents of rank injustice involving the last teabag or digestive. I'm fucked.
But y'know what? You're wrong.
Do you think Joey Barton's a decent player btw? That's the litmus test.

he did towards the end. walked off stage in tears at Coventry theatre for example, IIRC

yeah but by then he was an old man - I really didn't like how he got vilified. He won't have been able to handle it towards the end of his life - No shame in that. Tell you what though, he did a lot for Mount Carmel (school and church) in Blackley. And the parish took his money but wouldn't be publicly associated with him. And if you washed his car when he was at his mam's on Clough Rd, he'd swing a note your way - A fiver or even a tenner sometimes. Bernard Manning - A flawed but essentially decent guy who history will never out as a Savile.

yeah but by then he was an old man - I really didn't like how he got vilified. He won't have been able to handle it towards the end of his life - No shame in that. Tell you what though, he did a lot for Mount Carmel (school and church) in Blackley. And the parish took his money but wouldn't be publicly associated with him. And if you washed his car when he was at his mam's on Clough Rd, he'd swing a note your way - A fiver or even a tenner sometimes. Bernard Manning - A flawed but essentially decent guy who history will never out as a Savile.
c'mon. he's got savile written all over him.

Back
Top Bottom