Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

pulled himself up by his bootstraps, said the middle class son of a greengrocer.

Ah come on he was in no way middle class. Just coz his mam n dad had a shop in Ancoats does not make the guy middle class - It might've made him slightly better off than his contemporaries and maybe that helped him on his way but to say he was middle class - That's fuckin properly disingenuous and TBH, I'd have thought better from you - You grew up in a traditional working class community - Was the shopkeepers family's circumstances significantly different from yours?

Ah come on he was in no way middle class. Just coz his mam n dad had a shop in Ancoats does not make the guy middle class - It might've made him slightly better off than his contemporaries and maybe that helped him on his way but to say he was middle class - That's fuckin properly disingenuous and TBH, I'd have thought better from you - You grew up in a traditional working class community - Was the shopkeepers family's circumstances significantly different from yours?
yes they were. it's textbook petit bourgeois.

You're making assumptions about me and being defensive.

I like the careful choice there, well-played, but all the same it's a shit joke.

Making assumptions? Maybe but your bit about "even a glimpse of his genius" comes off as finished with an elaborate flourish and a sardonic sneer...no?

51pD6zPdncL.jpg

Aye, so you say, where I grew up,you wouldn't have had time to utter " your threats" before you were digesting yer teeth. Mebbes twitter is more your " forte"? grow up, or move on.
Stayin cool under pressure not a strong point...why'd ye leave the army again?Oh aye what threats by the way...

yes they were. it's textbook petit bourgeois.

Still though, everyone in a W/C community from the poorest to the richest - They're all part of the working class (and increasingly the not even working class) - That's the way I see it. I'm not down with that petit bourgoieois gig. Don't wanna fall out over it though. You think Bernard's a wanker - I think he's ok. But he's not a nonce. Can we leave it there?

It's localised colloquial crap,that won't appeal to anyone outside of where that phrasing is used,and the punch line infers an acceptance that the english in spain hate the spanish...cos youse are all like that aren't ye...:rolleyes:
Timings good though i'll give him that

Localised and colloquial? Isn't that basically every working class comic..everywhere...ever? You just like the Oxbridge ones yeah? The observational ones? The ones who tackle 'issues'? Fuck that shit. Manning is a comic..end of. If he comes over s a xenophobic prick on occasions, that's because his audience were xenophobic pricks...so fuck?...they got better and wiser. Evryone did. Things are looking up.
Here's the thing. Comedy doesn't need a political or cultural edge. Like it not, that's still a minority taste. Look who sells now..jimmy fuckin Carr and McIntyre. Apolitical. I'm not saying they're not shit...just apolitical...like Manning, only he was funny.

Still though, everyone in a W/C community from the poorest to the richest - They're all part of the working class (and increasingly the not even working class) - That's the way I see it. I'm not down with that petit bourgoieois gig. Don't wanna fall out over it though. You think Bernard's a wanker - I think he's ok. But he's not a nonce. Can we leave it there?
i don't really think he was a nonce. your class analysis is wrong though. leaving it there.

Stayin cool under pressure not a strong point...why'd ye leave the army again?Oh aye what threats by the way...

I honestly though Urban had a minimum age limit, seems I was mistaken, anyway,way past our bedtimes. Play nicely and JC will come along later.

Making assumptions? Maybe but your bit about "even a glimpse of his genius" comes off as finished with an elaborate flourish and a sardonic sneer...no?

You're making out I just don't 'get' him. I think you're right to a certain extent. I'm not of his time, his part of the country and not of his class for starters (he wasn't working class).

Got any more, though? Maybe something about 'pakis,' 'nignogs' or 'benders.'

Localised and colloquial? Isn't that basically every working class comic..everywhere...ever? You just like the Oxbridge ones yeah? The observational ones? The ones who tackle 'issues'? Fuck that shit. Manning is a comic..end of. If he comes over s a xenophobic prick on occasions, that's because his audience were xenophobic pricks...so fuck?...they got better and wiser. Evryone did. Things are looking up.
Here's the thing. Comedy doesn't need a political or cultural edge. Like it not, that's still a minority taste. Look who sells now..jimmy fuckin Carr and McIntyre. Apolitical. I'm not saying they're not shit...just apolitical...like Manning, only he was funny.
That's a lot of assuming there...there's funny and there's the racist idiot down the pub.I like working class comics as much as the next man,if they're funny,i don't think class has much to do with being funny though if i'm honest...it's either funny or it's not.
BM seems to have made a career out of telling the worst racist shit jokes that you can hear in any pub across the land,told by pissed idiots on a saturday night.If that's your thing fair enough,it's not mine ...

i don't really think he was a nonce. your class analysis is wrong though. leaving it there.

I know I said leave it there but fuck it if we can talk about this like grown ups - Why's my class analysis wrong - Bear in mind I don't know what I'm talkin about WRT politics ect, but I am a decent judge of character.

I know I said leave it there but fuck it if we can talk about this like grown ups - Why's my class analysis wrong - Bear in mind I don't know what I'm talkin about WRT politics ect, but I am a decent judge of character.
c'mon frances, it's two in the morning and i'm shit at explaining this stuff at the best of times.

Back
Top Bottom