Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Amazing? It's unbelievable - people getting paid at Red Pepper?! articul8 say it ain't so!!!
It wasn't so in 2013 or at least he claimed they didn't 'get a penny' (ho ho) - i wonder if it's changed since and if so why/how?

Articul8 has some points/questions of his own on this sort of racket and the people involved:

articul8 said:
I'd be interested in a general analysis ("The new left commentariat") - looking at the conditions of how mainstream media selects them and how they relate to mainstream media, activists and "normals". Owen, Ellie, that ginger guy, Sunny, Laurie...

Maybe Zer0 will publish it :D

Last edited:
Not sure Laurie's particularly in with the Novara crew?
She is or at least was friends with James Butler.

Just find it a bit depressing that the self-declared radical left can't do any better than the BBC in terms of who they give opportunities to.

Job was advertised at 25k pro rata, 3 days a week. Not a fortune but paid left journalist positions are like hens teeth.

Not sure if this guy is commentariat per se, but saw this on twitter and simply had to post:

Rob Marchant‏ @rob_marchant
Rob Marchant Retweeted Tom Blenkinsop

First they came for the council leaders. And I did not speak out. Because I was not a council leader.

Quite unbelievably crass, utterly tendentious, but the total loss of perspective is interesting

Not sure if this guy is commentariat per se, but saw this on twitter and simply had to post:

First they came for the council leaders. And I did not speak out. Because I was not a council leader.

Quite unbelievably crass, utterly tendPentious, but the total loss of perspective is interesting
He'd be the first to turn in the commies anyway

Reactions: tim

Quite unbelievably crass, utterly tendentious, but the total loss of perspective is interesting

always found the huge difference between Marchants' twitter biog photo, and his blog photo a bit strange :

Blogger: User Profile: Rob Marchant

who has a complete " bloke in Sade's backing band" type makeover in what looks like their 40's + ?

weird centrist dad carry on

She is or at least was friends with James Butler.

Just find it a bit depressing that the self-declared radical left can't do any better than the BBC in terms of who they give opportunities to.

Job was advertised at 25k pro rata, 3 days a week. Not a fortune but paid left journalist positions are like hens teeth.
Isn't Eleanor at Novara her sister

They were all gr8 student m8s. Laurie tried to elbow her way onto Novara but failed and accused them of being sexists. Aaron said they wanted people that didn't already have columns and telly appearances and 100k twitter machine followers. As luck would have it, Laurie's privately educated UCL grad sister was around. See Workers' Girder's leftygoss pullout sections from 2013.

Novara probably also didnt want't a hopeless identity politics obsessed, posh, Milo loving, Corbo wavering, self regarding dullard

they're too hip and trendy for an old fart like me. Ifind them hard work watching.

Ash is pretty smart, or seems to be, I don't really know because I find her points hard to follow. She can also be very abrasive while Aaron just seems to be Jeremy Corbyn's personal cheerleader.

That ash one made a proper narna of herself on big questions this morning. Got a whole multi-racial/cross class crowd laughing at her after she said she was talking about 'class solidarity' after offering loads of top-down identity politics borderline racist nonsense. Gave me some hope.

Interesting to hear two WC Asian lassies saying they didn't encounter racism growing up. They were obviously trying to make the point that power in this country is more complicated than the term "whiteness" would suggest but it all got dismissed as anecdotal evidence. I don't doubt their experiences, when me and this carer i worked with from Nepal moved to London from Inverness around the same time, both for studying, we were genuinely freaked out by the sudden education we were getting on how to interact with other cultures. Both lacking an academic critique at the time we were saying "these people are like, really ...... racist! Why would you assume certain cultural differences just by looking at someone? What the fuck? Don't you just like, talk to people????" : )

Interesting to hear two WC Asian lassies saying they didn't encounter racism growing up. They were obviously trying to make the point that power in this country is more complicated than the term "whiteness" would suggest but it all got dismissed as anecdotal evidence. I don't doubt their experiences, when me and this carer i worked with from Nepal moved to London from Inverness around the same time, both for studying, we were genuinely freaked out by the sudden education we were getting on how to interact with other cultures. Both lacking an academic critique at the time we were saying "these people are like, really ...... racist! Why would you assume certain cultural differences just by looking at someone? What the fuck? Don't you just like, talk to people????" : )
It was. Was a revealing show in many ways that one.

Good read somewhat spoiled by random misconception about Asperger's Syndrome thrown in. Does he have Asperger's, it seemed to come out of nowhere ?
I think the implication is that its geek/hacker culture that's influenced by or aspergers (and/or that many geeks/hackers have aspergers). But yeah the aspergers = no empathy trope is a harmful misconception.

The definitive explainer on Molly Crabapple, her “ride or die love” of a Nazi hacker, and her…

With Quinn Norton getting hired and then fired for the weev stuff, someone finally bothers going after Molly Crabapple over this.
Good piece that i feel bad about liking as she's been a consistent public voice in support of the syrian uprising (edit: and I'm now wondering why) . But the point of the piece is that you don't give people passes like that.

The Hare and the Hound is surely about the policing of class hierarchies not racial ones though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom