Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

You keep saying where he doesn't have influence but seem reluctant to spell out and provide examples where he does have influence?
I don't think it's all that controversial to say that his output on Top Gear and elsewhere has been influential in promoting and reinforcing a set of particular reactionary - anti-environmental, anti-feminist, casually racist - positions.
? I could be more specific if you like. He says things about Mexicans and women etc, they change or reinforce stuff.

Well I don't think we need to see progroms against women drivers - but maybe an example of a well publicised comment or statement by le Clarkson followed by you explaining why you think this has then had a noticible impact on the direction of society or at least wider debate within society seems reasonable? (obviously fair enough if you can't be arsed, not sure if I could at this time of night!)

Really, no, I can't be arsed, my Clarkson dossier is just over that side of the room and underneath all those papers and it would be a terrible faff to get it out.

and a 20 page thread on here.

maybe those saying he has no influence are right, though I think not. So who does have influence? Monbiot, LP, Harris, Callinicos, the other stars of these threads? that's risible.

and a 20 page thread on here.

maybe those saying he has no influence are right, though I think not. So who does have influence? Monbiot, LP, Harris, Callinicos, the other stars of these threads? that's risible.

Please do he equivalence argument rather thna leaving it to others.

I think Clarkson's got influence - He's down with them all, Cameron, Rebekah Brooks, all the Chipping Cleghorn swinging daddies of the groove. I used to think he was on an OK guy - i'm not into cars & I've never drove one but Top Gear I found watchable & I (overly charitably) thought Clarkson's persona was just that - A cultivated persona. I was really pissed off with him when i learnt he was one of the top bods. A feeling comparable to having a trusted dog that had one day, with no provocation, turned round and bit me.

What debate that i'm part of is that clarkson part of?
Last time I saw you and Clarkson drinking Krug Brut 1988 at the Savoy's Beaufort bar the debate went like this:

Clarkson: The Veyron features an 8.0-litre, quad-turbocharged, W16 cylinder engine, equivalent to two narrow-angle V8 engines. Each cylinder has four valves for a total of 64, but the VR8 configuration of each bank allows two overhead camshafts to drive two banks of cylinders so only four camshafts are needed. The engine is fed by four turbochargers and displaces 7,993 cubic centimetres (487.8 cu in), with a square 86 by 86 mm (3.39 by 3.39 in) bore and stroke. The transmission is a dual-clutch direct-shift gearbox computer-controlled automatic with seven gear ratios, with magnesium paddles behind the steering wheel and a shift time of less than 150 milliseconds, built by Ricardo of England rather than Borg-Warner, who designed the six speed DSG used in the mainstream Volkswagen Group marques. The Veyron can be driven in either semi-automatic or fully automatic mode. A replacement transmission for the Veyron costs just over US$120,000. It also has permanent all-wheel drive using the Haldex Traction system. It uses special Michelin PAX run-flat tyres, designed specifically to accommodate the Veyron's top speed, and cost US$25,000 per set. The tyres can be mounted on the rims only in France, a service which costs US$70,000. Kerb weight is 1,888 kilograms (4,162 lb). This gives the car a power-to-weight ratio, according to Volkswagen Group's figures, of 446.3 metric horsepower (328 kW; 440 bhp) per ton.

butchersapron: But what about the workingclass?

Clarkson: The car's wheelbase is 2,710 mm (106.7 in). Overall length is 4,462 mm (175.7 in) which gives 1,752.6 mm (69.0 in) of overhang. The width is 1,998 mm (78.7 in) and height 1,204 mm (47.4 in). The Bugatti Veyron has a total of ten radiators:
  • 3 heat exchangers for the air-to-liquid intercoolers.
  • 3 engine radiators.
  • 1 for the air conditioning system.
  • 1 transmission oil radiator.
  • 1 differential oil radiator.
  • 1 engine oil radiator
It has a drag coefficient of 0.41 (normal condition) and 0.36 (after lowering to the ground),and a frontal area of 2.07 m2 (22.3 sq ft).This gives it a drag area – the combination of drag coefficient and frontal area, represented as CdA – of 0.74 m2 (8.0 sq ft).

butchersapron: But what about the workingclass!!!!!!!! ;)

I thought I did when I mentioned Clarkson. You told me you don't know anyone except your dad who knows who he is. clearly either he's a non-entity or you live in a bubble.

So I'm asking who you think has an influential voice?

Yes because saying Clarkson is not influential means you must think that shower are - there can only be two, the reverse Highlander approach.
no, thats not what i said. The LP thread has kept going because there's an feeling that the commentariat are worth talking about. I think they're pretty much irrelevant, and suggest that Clarkson has more influence. That idea has been shot down, by you and others, well ok, if not Clarkson, who has got influence?

I thought I did when I mentioned Clarkson. You told me you don't know anyone except your dad who knows who he is. clearly either he's a non-entity or you live in a bubble.

So I'm asking who you think has an influential voice?

you have to live in some sort of crazy bubble to think that Clarkson dictates debates - either one where you think everyone else is a thick mug dictated too by top gear or some other crazy world wtf i don't care about him and never hear about him apart from people like you telling me again that he speaks for me. Double bubble.

Simple right?

Because newbie thinks he's brought it round to whether we accept he is a known person rather than someone who is part of debates. And this is demonstrated by facebook likes etc. Give it up newbie ffs.

The same old, i don't know what the kids are doing but i hate the people who i'm told are against them rubbish. This generation gap you base all your wider posts on died when your sense of self-respect and decency did.

when I write influences debate you translate that into dictates debate. what's simple about that?

I'm not asking who influences you, but who, other than the major politicians, can crystalise and polarise, get people debating for and against? regularly and repeatedly. That's what influence is about.

when I write influences debate you translate that into dictates debate. what's simple about that?

I'm not asking who influences you, but who, other than the major politicians, can crystalise and polarise, get people debating for and against? regularly and repeatedly. That's what influence is about.

How does that change anything? It only can if you agree with your main point. What was you point, i think that you could do with reminding.

I am in the bubble because no one i know is in the clarkson bubble. Listen to yourself. Listen to what you are asking yourself to agree with. Listen to yourself posting it, Then think again.

In a week you'll be saying that there is no public debate, that the the internet has fractured it. Oh, you did already didn't you?

What debate?

Who gets most likes. In which case, the meaningless nature of such an endaevour means your likes drown yourself in a sea of sick.

It's pathetic - someone says something offensive/racist sexist and bubble people just think this is what everyone else really thinks - so do an pathetic right to offend march. Grow up. Other people exist. They're not all as your bubble thinks.

Back
Top Bottom