Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

How does that change anything? It only can if you agree with your main point. What was you point, i think that you could do with reminding.

I am in the bubble because no one i know is in the clarkson bubble. Listen to yourself. Listen to what you are asking yourself to agree with. Listen to yourself posting it, Then think again.

In a week you'll be saying that there is no public debate, that the the internet has fractured it. Oh, you did already didn't you?
main point? what, again? that Clarkson is more influential than LP and the rest of the commentariat. seems entirely uncontroversial to me, so I'm mildly surprised by the vehemence by which I've been told he has no influence whatsoever (but only mildly because this is, after all, u75 :cool:).

but then I didn't factor in just how far urban75 debates are from the lives of most people.

main point? what, again? that Clarkson is more influential than LP and the rest of the commentariat. seems entirely uncontroversial to me, so I'm mildly surprised by the vehemence by which I've been told he has no influence whatsoever (but only mildly because this is, after all, u75 :cool:).

but then I didn't factor in just how far urban75 debates are from the lives of most people.
When was the main point? It never was. Why did you just invent? When were you told that Clarkson has "has no influence whatsoever"? What are you openly lying?

It's pathetic - someone says something offensive/racist sexist and bubble people just think this is what everyone else really thinks - so do an pathetic right to offend march. Grow up. Other people exist. They're not all as your bubble thinks.
post after post of pointless froth and you're telling me to grow up :D

who do you think has influence in our society? why so reluctant to answer a simple question?

oh right., I thought you meant that greebo had liked one of my posts and was getting puzzled. now that I understand, your point is, of course, both pertinent and compelling.

oh right., I thought you meant that greebo had liked one of my posts and was getting puzzled. now that I understand, your point is, of course, both pertinent and compelling.

Rather than the contrarian (the civil lib contrarian is a fav, now i'm not sure ) falling down and just wasting everyones time?

what has "who has influence in public debate" got to do with anything? hmm, dunno

What's it go to do with what we were talking about bubble boy? Whence comes this incessant need to force a recognition that your own clarkson influenced bubble is true of all others? Everything - surely? Or what are you talking about?

106f94f5b35c453b6eebfc6670b202c5.jpg

it's not me with an incessant need that's for sure.

I think it's pretty clear what I've been saying.

you appear to want to froth (as if what I said somehow mattered) but I have no real idea what you're saying.

Indeed, he's part of the populist appeal that sustains them.

Top gear is his main outlet.
Look

• Guinness Book of Records holder for most watched factual programme in the world
  • Sold to 214 territories worldwide
  • 2 million subscribers to the Official Top Gear YouTube Channel with over 500 million video views
  • 19 million Facebook fans
  • Top Gear Magazine global circulation: 1 million
  • 5.7 million unique users on Topgear.com
  • Over 8.9 million downloads of Top Gear game apps
  • Over 1.5 million visitors to Top Gear Live

The Top Gear phenomenon is fucking mind boggling. Loved across the world. Its mental.
I guess his influence via the medium of Top Gear is adding to some kind of Jungian collective unconscious - adding pro-car and whatever his general mindset is. But agree with Spanky, its different to adding or steering a debate, its more generally seeping his mindset into mass culture.

it's not me with an incessant need that's for sure.

I think it's pretty clear what I've been saying.

you appear to want to froth (as if what I said somehow mattered) but I have no real idea what you're saying.

You're just replying in a series of thought through posts to nothing. Then suddenly it stops. You have no idea.

btw can anyone remember a hugely popular petition that swept the Internet a couple of years back...it was car related somehow?

The Top Gear phenomenon is fucking mind boggling. Loved across the world. Its mental.
I guess his influence via the medium of Top Gear is adding to some kind of Jungian collective unconscious - adding pro-car and whatever his general mindset is. But agree with Spanky, its different to adding or steering a debate, its more generally seeping his mindset into mass culture.
his general mindset is pretty disgusting, exemplified by the execute strikers comment. and his Chipping Norton credentials.

his influence comes, I contend, because he has both the intent and the platform to inject that mindset into mass debate. His true fanbase lap it up, he speaks for them, and they value him adding his voice so publically. He legitimises and hardens opinions and nudges waverers in his direction.

I can't think of anyone left of center with a similar capability to influence.

his general mindset is pretty disgusting, exemplified by the execute strikers comment. and his Chipping Norton credentials.

his influence comes, I contend, because he has both the intent and the platform to inject that mindset into mass debate. His true fanbase lap it up, he speaks for them, and they value him adding his voice so publically. He legitimises and hardens opinions and nudges waverers in his direction.

I can't think of anyone left of center with a similar capability to influence.
his column in the sun doesnt equate to all the millions of top gear fans. but yeah the sun is the most popular paper, 7million readers a day, and a column in that counts for more than equivalent columnists in the guardian or new statesman or on blogs etc. thats just maths.

@ ba I'm more interested in what other people think tbh. I'll leave it here and go to bed, see if anyone else wants to pick up on it.

I'm more interested in what other people think tbh. I'll leave it here and go to bed, see if anyone else wants to pick up on it.
his column in the sun doesnt equate to all the millions of top gear fans. but yeah the sun is the most popular paper, 7million readers a day, and a column in that counts for more than equivalent columnists in the guardian or new statesman or on blogs etc. thats just maths.
I don't read his sun column, or watch tg come to that, but yes his reach is enormous.

Funny that on a pro working class board like this a star sun columnist isn't deconstructed in the way someone who writes for the ns is.

g'night :)

I managed it. No one i know beyond my dad knows who he is. What sort of debate is this?

so out of everyone you know, the only person who knows who Jeremy Clarkson is is your dad?

If that's not bollocks, then newbie's right, you must move in some pretty out of touch circles.

so out of everyone you know, the only person who knows who Jeremy Clarkson is is your dad?

If that's not bollocks, then newbie's right, you must move in some pretty out of touch circles.
He's the only person I know that Clarkson could possibly be part of a some ongoing public debate with. Get out of your bubble.

Back
Top Bottom