Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Just repeating ourselves really, you assume he’s acting & will act perfectly rationally and has access to good realistic advice. I don’t think that. He wouldn’t have embarked on this if that were true imo.

There is actually loads of wiggle room in my stance in terms of what I might choose to believe about how rational he is. Nor have I claimed that it was a great move for him that cannot possible backfire on him. But I have said that it is possible to explain this war without needing to include a storyline where Putin has gone mad.

Although many aspects of this war are about Putin, its still not all just about one person, he didnt just personally draw up a military plan one afternoon for this war that involved half a tank wandering into Kyiv unopposed. The people doing all the tedious planning can and probably will make loads of mistakes of various forms in their planning, but they've still got more knowledge of their capabilities and what might actually be within the bounds of possibility, and that includes the timescales for potential victory. Putin will have influenced their plans and may even have meddled in the detail of them. They could even be naive in ways that could result in numerous comedies of error. Their experience in other conflicts may still have left them woefully unprepared for this particular invasion against this sort of foe. I dont exclude these possibilities, but I'm not going to treat them as a certainty, or start making wild claims about Putin becoming so desperate this quickly that he actually intends to use nuclear weapons. The nuclear rhetoric is a warning to other nations about where some the red lines are, a reminder of where escalation ultimately leads to when it involves nuclear powers.

There's a slight concern in my own mind that we are getting a massively optimistic view of things, largely as a result of people re-sharing stuff that they like at massive scale rather than any more sophisticated propaganda. My hunch is that this is a powerful effect and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Russians made some sort of, going on our current understanding, unaccountable breakthrough early next week.

Hoping that that isn't the case and there's plenty to suggest that they are genuinely ballsing it all up but we all really want to believe the good news, don't we..?

Doesn't matter that it's Spiked

I see this Tim Black character isn't one to admit when he's gotten things wrong - in his previous column, on Feb. 17, he mocked Western leaders who were warning of an invasion of Ukraine, saying they were living in a "hysterical fantasy world."

"We have endured an increasingly hyperbolic, even absurd, escalation in the war-is-coming rhetoric ... Right now, they are a far greater threat to peace in Europe than Putin’s Russia is."

Had a light bulb moment. To threaten people with nuclear anhilation is pretty much the definition of being totally fucking insane.

It potentially is meant to make Putin’s enemies think that, as per Nixon’s madman theory: Madman theory - Wikipedia

The madman theory is a theory commonly associated with Nixon. He and his administration tried to make the leaders of hostile communist nations think he was irrational and volatile. According to the theory, those leaders would then avoid provoking the United States, fearing an unpredictable American response.

“I call it the Madman Theory, Bob. I want the North Vietnamese to believe I've reached the point where I might do anything to stop the war. We'll just slip the word to them that, "for God's sake, you know Nixon is obsessed about communism. We can't restrain him when he's angry—and he has his hand on the nuclear button" and Ho Chi Minh himself will be in Paris in two days begging for peace”

Last edited:
Where did this idea that Russia was expecting a quick victory come from? Were there any statements from Russian officials that suggested this is what they were expecting? Or did this come from 'experts' in the Western media/governments/militaries? (And could this have simply been for propaganda purposes by setting Russia unachievable aims then saying "it's not going to plan" when it obviously didn't go to "plan"?)

Don't get me wrong, having read Putin's article about how Ukrainians are essentially Russians, I don't doubt that there is a possibility that Putin might have considered that the Ukrainians (or at least their military) would surrender quickly, but has this expectation actually been documented from any Russian sources?

Edit: bluescreen may have just answered that as I was posting...

There appears to be some evidence for this idea, but I think it can be inferred by the fact that he invaded in the first place.

Nobody was expecting it because it seemed a transparently stupid idea. Which leaves two explanations - one, Putin is completely insane and acting irrationally. Two, Putin has fell victim to the common pitfalls of being a dictator and has been told for too long only what he wants to hear, which is that Ukraine is just Russia, and was therefore expecting to be welcomed as a liberator and could quickly form a friendly government and repress the Ukrainian nationalists.

I see this Tim Black character isn't one to admit when he's gotten things wrong - in his previous column, on Feb. 17, he mocked Western leaders who were warning of an invasion of Ukraine, saying they were living in a "hysterical fantasy world."

"We have endured an increasingly hyperbolic, even absurd, escalation in the war-is-coming rhetoric ... Right now, they are a far greater threat to peace in Europe than Putin’s Russia is."

So what? It doesn't mean the facts (nor the opinions) in the linked article are wrong.

Where did this idea that Russia was expecting a quick victory come from? Were there any statements from Russian officials that suggested this is what they were expecting? Or did this come from 'experts' in the Western media/governments/militaries? (And could this have simply been for propaganda purposes by setting Russia unachievable aims then saying "it's not going to plan" when it obviously didn't go to "plan"?)

Don't get me wrong, having read Putin's article about how Ukrainians are essentially Russians, I don't doubt that there is a possibility that Putin might have considered that the Ukrainians (or at least their military) would surrender quickly, but has this expectation actually been documented from any Russian sources?

Edit: bluescreen may have just answered that as I was posting...

It sounds very much like Russia ends up the same sort of 'expert' chatter that you are on about in the West. Probably because this sort of talk is standard 'justify and sell the war' propaganda. So thats another source of silly timescale expectations, stuff from within Russia itself. eg this was mentioned in the analysis I linked to earlier, which was from quite some weeks before the war actually started:

In Russia’s expert community recently a sufficiently powerful opinion has taken root that it won’t even be necessary to put troops on Ukraine’s territory since the armed forces of that country are in a pathetic state.

Some pundits note that Russia’s powerful fire strike will destroy practically all surveillance and communications systems, artillery and tank formations. Moreover, a number of experts have concluded that even one crushing Russian strike will to be sufficient to finish such a war.

Like a cherry on top different analysts point to the fact that no one in Ukraine will defend the “Kiev regime.”

Another reason is that I certainly couldnt exclude the genuine possibility of Russia toppling the government really quickly. I still cant, many people are taking a 'day by day' approach. I suppose in my own mind there has been an expectation that this intense first phase of the conflict entails a timescale between 'a few days and a few weeks', but with some consideration given to how often things in the past have ended up dragging on well beyond initial expectations. If the timescale stretches beyond a few weeks then it becomes a bit more reasonable to start emphasising the possibility of Russian failure, depending on the details of how and where they've ended up getting bogged down.

Possibly large fuel-air weapons now in use.

Makes me think that Putin's nuclear warning was done because he knows the world is going to see how fucked up he can make it. Don't know if that explosion was such a weapon or not but if he has to kill everybody in Kyiv I believe now that he will. I think losing and going home, in his mind, is a defeat of his empire religion.

Er you can win a guerrilla war. To take just Latin America, two successful guerrilla wars (Cuba and Nicaragua) out of dozens of attempts. So don't talk bollocks pls
Its not bollox, because I said welcome the Russians in and shoot them in the back. Its clearly a matter of perspective and context.
You are correct, agressors I don't know of anyone winning war that decends into a war of attrition.
The Ukarianians should be clever because in a numbers games they will lose. Ensure Russians walking about are greeted like friends and butchered like enemies.
History says you will win.

Have we had this yet?
Thread from Bellingcat exec describing how Russian state media were all prepped with a story about the successful operation in Ukraine - that was then pulled and wiped as if never existed. But there are screengrabs. So perhaps there is some insight into Putin's assumptions after all, if the screengrabs are to be believed:

just got the bi-weekly Bellingcat email this p.m., they've got lots of stuff going.

Russia-Ukraine War LIVE Updates | Elon Musk activates Starlink internet service in Ukraine​

Not a complete dick.
Why hasn't he sent his special submarine up the Dnieper to sort it all out

Its not bollox, because I said welcome the Russians in and shoot them in the back. Its clearly a matter of perspective and context.
You are correct, agressors I don't know of anyone winning war that decends into a war of attrition.
The Ukarianians should be clever because in a numbers games they will lose. Ensure Russians walking about are greeted like friends and butchered like enemies.
You will win.
You gave three examples you said proved a point. They don't. Don't bluster on so.

Back
Top Bottom