Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukip - why are they gaining support?

1555513_10153826207080287_1389800338_n.jpg

'Radical right rebels' FFS. Because nothing says rebellion like a party run by an ex-banker for the benefit of bankers. But hey, Farage drinks pints so he must be 'one of us', right?

Ukip donor pays for Telegraph advert to claim 'sodomy has always been a crime'

A businessman who gave £10,000 to the UK Independence party hastaken out an advertisement in the Daily Telegraph describing "sodomy" as a crime and saying there is no such word as "homophobic".

Demetri Marchessini, who gave two donations of £5,000 to Ukip last year, paid for an open letter to be published in the newspaper attacking Times columnist Libby Purves after she wrote about Russia's "bashing" of gay people in the runup to the Sochi Olympics.

In the advertisement, which appeared the day after Ukip leader Nigel Farage said he wanted to distance his party from barmy types, Marchessini declared "sodomy has always been a crime" and homosexuality has been a sin for 2,000 years.

They're not saying that they're 'one of us' - they're saying that they are a rebellion on and against the traditional composition of the electoral right.

seems to me they are saying both, but in policy and rhetoric it is the latter that seems to be the bigger hoax.

Much as they love to be seen as edgy and anti establishment, the rather dull truth is that they are just another branch of Tory-ism.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...-ukip-dares-cut-spending-on-nhs-and-pensions/

Just my opinion, but I think this, if anything is their weakspot. Not calling them racist - they LOVE that. And not their position on the EU, which is a very easy target (the EU) in itself.

And it's true that sodomy has always been a crime.

Marchessini's mistake is to identify sodomy as "the act of homosexuality." He claims that he has no objection to two men falling in love. But in reality sodomy (which means any sexual act that cannot result in reproduction) is a mainly heterosexual practice.

If he would admit that his real problem is with blow-jobs, his statement would find little support.

Putting sodomy to one side for a moment..... Ipsos Mori's recent "Issues index" (Jan) polling for 'the Economist' gives another glimpse of the UKIP leaning demographic expressing 'concerns' about "race/immigration"....

upload_2014-1-29_9-47-19.png

No real surprises, I suppose, but with exception of "skilled manual workers", the uniformity of 'concern' across the social groupings is noticable.

seems to me they are saying both, but in policy and rhetoric it is the latter that seems to be the bigger hoax.

Much as they love to be seen as edgy and anti establishment, the rather dull truth is that they are just another branch of Tory-ism.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...-ukip-dares-cut-spending-on-nhs-and-pensions/

Just my opinion, but I think this, if anything is their weakspot. Not calling them racist - they LOVE that. And not their position on the EU, which is a very easy target (the EU) in itself.
You've got the wrong end of the stick here - we are talking about 'Revolt on the the right', the soon to be published book on UKIP by Matthew Goodwin and Rob Ford and the associated Telegraph blog, that trying, (without much success on here on the left) to dispel some of the more stubborn (and potentially politically damaging to 'us') myths about their support, their supporters motivations and so on. Not their self description. The sort of stuff that you just posted in fact :p

Marchessini's mistake is to identify sodomy as "the act of homosexuality." He claims that he has no objection to two men falling in love. But in reality sodomy (which means any sexual act that cannot result in reproduction) is a mainly heterosexual practice.

If he would admit that his real problem is with blow-jobs, his statement would find little support.

really? :hmm:

I'm hearing that Labour is getting panicky about Wythenshawe - so much so that it's put a three line whip on candidates even from the South West to go up there. I doubt UKIP will take it, but they are obviously performing quite well on the doorsteps

:hmm: :D

I'm hearing that Labour is getting panicky about Wythenshawe - so much so that it's put a three line whip on candidates even from the South West to go up there. I doubt UKIP will take it, but they are obviously performing quite well on the doorsteps
Why do you always say "I'm hearing that Labour is getting panicky about Wythenshawe/whatever" rather than I'm hearing that we are getting panicky about Wythenshawe/whatever"

Why do you always say "I'm hearing that Labour is getting panicky about Wythenshawe/whatever" rather than I'm hearing that we are getting panicky about Wythenshawe/whatever"
Because I'm referring to what the organisational apparatus of the party is thinking. This bears no relation to what I am thinking.

That's because he's in Labour, but not of Labour. Rather, he's "changing Labour from the inside". ;)

And there was me thinking "Greek businessman" was a euphemism for "rent boy"...

Notice how he claims that "homosexuality has been a crime for 2,000 years"?
He's blatantly tailoring the timeline so that he doesn't have to acknowledge that Ancient Greece included such historical marvels as "The Sacred Band".

Back
Top Bottom