Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukip - why are they gaining support?

i look forward to the press scouring the letters pages of local papers for the mad rantings of councillors from other parties. of which there is many, should they choose to look. desperate stuff tbh.

Climate change denial meets religion.
Watch thou for the fuckwit...
:rolleyes:
18_silvester_w_LRG.jpg

Pic of said fuckwit.....

Is religious loonspuddery common in UKIP I wonder?

I mean I know it is in the Tea Party, but they're American. Whereas I'd seen a lack of it as one of the big differences with their UK cousins.

I guess it's not a surprise though, to find signs of broken critical thinking among people who have allowed the Mail/Express/Sun to convince them that voting for a former commodity trader's racist party is the way to get the public utilities renationalised.

Is religious loonspuddery common in UKIP I wonder?

I mean I know it is in the Tea Party, but they're American. Whereas I'd seen a lack of it as one of the big differences with their UK cousins.

I guess it's not a surprise though, to find signs of broken critical thinking among people who have allowed the Mail/Express/Sun to convince them that voting for a former commodity trader's racist party is the way to get the public utilities renationalised.
I think there is a sharing of 'ideas' between the US right and the UK right. It's nothing new, it's been going on since the time of Heath. It seems to have become much worse in recent times. Critical thinking is anathema to these loons. It's much easier for them to believe in fairies and hobgoblins than to ask searching questions.

Some more polling evidence about UKIP support and perceptions of the party/leader from the monthly online ComRes poll for the Indy on Sunday and Sunday Mirror:-

There is an assumption that UKIP are a bit like marmite – love em or hate em. Their supporters are very positive (and vocal) but are vastly outnumbered by detractors. The ComRes results however paint a more positive picture for UKIP – 27% had a positive opinion of the party (so marginally higher than Labour (26%) and the Tories (25%)). Only 38% had a negative opinion though, which was significantly lower than the Conservatives or Labour, giving them the most positive net figure. The other interesting finding was that Nigel Farage polled significantly less positively than his party – a net rating of minus 18, compared to minus 11 for UKIP.
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8596
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8596

With the obvious observation that it is very easy for a party with no MPs to maintain a narrative untainted by any real-world compromise/fuck-ups.

i look forward to the press scouring the letters pages of local papers for the mad rantings of councillors from other parties. of which there is many, should they choose to look. desperate stuff tbh.

There's certain labour councillor who posted here for a while for example ;)

Adopting the logical lunacy of people who think these sorts of things, there have been these sorts of things for eons, so why is it the fact that something has now changed that has brought this one about? Surely the (*ahem*) logical assumption is that in fact things still haven't changed in the way God wants them to, and humanity keeps failing to get the message (though, admittedly, I'm not sure God has really chosen the best medium for his argument).

How about we treat people equally, do unto others and all that, and maybe then all the floods and such will stop.

Only they won't, of course, because it's a load of bollocks.

Adopting the logical lunacy of people who think these sorts of things, there have been these sorts of things for eons, so why is it the fact that something has now changed that has brought this one about? Surely the (*ahem*) logical assumption is that in fact things still haven't changed in the way God wants them to, and humanity keeps failing to get the message (though, admittedly, I'm not sure God has really chosen the best medium for his argument).

How about we treat people equally, do unto others and all that, and maybe then all the floods and such will stop.

Only they won't, of course, because it's a load of bollocks.

Have to say that i've always found it difficult to understand why folk feel drawn to the concept of a diety that requires to be worshipped, let alone one that sends fatal floods in a fit of pique about a legal reform.

These christos are proper odd, ain't they?

He was suspended by the party after defying a request not to do further interviews on his beliefs following his initial claims made in a letter to a local newspaper.

The move came as leader Nigel Farage launched a clearout of "extremist, nasty or barmy" views from the party ahead of polls in May.

On Sunday he caused fresh controversy telling BBC Radio Berkshire that being gay was a "spiritual disease" that can be healed.

He said the new law, paving the way for the first gay marriages in Britain this spring, was the latest mistake that would anger God – following on from abortion laws, which he likened to the Holocaust.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/...spiritual-disease-pray-healed-david-silvester

"When I was at Bible college I did a thesis on homosexuality and I came across the writings of an American psychiatrist, Jeffrey Satinover. He came up with two particular beliefs; one, he said it has not been proven at all that the gay condition comes from the genes, and second he said that by the Holy Spirit, there is always power for a gay person to be healed.

Keep digging, pal [grabs popcorn]. :D

Gotta love this 'blue on blue' stuff; the tories display their fear every time they lash out at the 'kippers.

A senior Conservative minister who is tipped to the party’s next chairman has said there are still “fruitcakes” in the UK Independence Party.

Michael Fallon, a business minister, made the comments after a Ukip councillor linked recent storms and floods to the Coalition’s decision to legalise same sex marriage.

Speaking about the state of Ukip on the BBC’s Sunday Politics Show, Mr Fallon said the comments showed that “there clearly are one or two fruitcakes still around there”.

but then, more seriously reveals, in advance, the predictable and crude spin that they're going to put on their likely defeat at the hands of UKIP in the Euro elections..

He added: “[The Tories are] the only party that can actually secure reform and give people the choice they’ve been arguing for a long time. Whatever happens in the European elections it is simply a protest vote.

That's great; I'd imagine that's just the sort of patronising arrogance that's really going to motivate Euro 'kipper voters to stay with the party for the 2015 GE.

Back
Top Bottom