Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transport for London abandons the phrase, 'ladies and gentlemen'

They aren't even really spectra, for that matter - that implies that there's some sort of sliding one-dimensional scale that everybody is on.

Come to think of it, sex (as in physical sex) is not binary or spectral either. That's just something we get told early on which doesn't correspond to reality, and which you have to leave behind to do proper biology. Sex is a social construct as well as gender and sexuality.

It does the job efficiently though. In the Madrid Metro, similar announcements go like this: "Atencion: estacion en curva. Al salir, tengan cuidado para no introducir el pie entre coche y anden" (Attention: curved station. When you alight, be careful not to stick your foot between the car and the platform).

The announcement is only broadcast inside the Metro train approaching the station as well. No such courtesy extended to passengers waiting at the station for a train. I guess the powers that be concluded that those waiting on the platform have a clear view of the gap between train coaches and the platform, and if they trip they only have themselves to blame.

It does the job efficiently though. In the Madrid Metro, similar announcements go like this: "Atencion: estacion en curva. Al salir, tengan cuidado para no introducir el pie entre coche y anden" (Attention: curved station. When you alight, be careful not to stick your foot between the car and the platform).

The announcement is only broadcast inside the Metro train approaching the station as well. No such courtesy extended to passengers waiting at the station for a train. I guess the powers that be concluded that those waiting on the platform have a clear view of the gap between train coaches and the platform, and if they trip they only have themselves to blame.

Health and safety gone loco.

yes exactly
luv can be used to connect or put down but I want to be able to choose that for myself, and I can

Looking back on my language at work, I am really glad we had that discussion in work as I hadn't considered the wider implications of it, I'm sorry to say. My programme leader has been pushing on this point for the last few years challenging students views. She said that three years ago they were very resistant to thinking about the need to change and then when she got a speaker in this year about trans awareness, students were really engaged and interested and receptive to change

I like 'pet' in Yorkshire. Which I think is gender neutral.

Back
Top Bottom