Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transport for London abandons the phrase, 'ladies and gentlemen'

It doesn't mean anything. Unnecessary words at the start of what is invariably an entirely unnecessary message telling you that wet surfaces can be slippery or some other bleeding obvious piece of advice.
Advising people that wet surfaces are slippery is necessary in a world where morons use litigation to deal with the consequences of their own stupidity.

And 'Customers are advised that...' is really just a generic mechanism for saying "Pay attention people... the stairs are slippery today...".

I can sympathise with your frustration at what is a fairly vapid introduction, however I also have a modicum of sympathy for TfL and other such entities that regularly have to address the unwashed masses. Literally whatever they say will be criticised by someone. In an environment where the knives are permanently out, with people constantly on a vigil to critique & disapprove, it's more or less impossible to devise phraseology that satisfies the practical requirements of clearly & concisely conveying information to the masses whilst simultaneously annoying no one. Whatever they say, however they say it, someone will object. Such is the world we live in.

It doesn't mean anything. Unnecessary words at the start of what is invariably an entirely unnecessary message telling you that wet surfaces can be slippery or some other bleeding obvious piece of advice.

Its amazing how many people don't seem aware of the world around them. From the bleeding obvious "these stairs are wet, perhaps I should stop pushing through people" to the more obscure "its 8am and I've just boarded the train in zone 6, perhaps I should move down the car instead of standing right in the middle of the passageway leaving vast amounts of room and forcing people to push past me"

It's getting worse though. Signs telling people how to use staircases are a new addition. Step-by-step guides to escalators as well. My god, a staircase that moves! How on earth does one use such a thing?

Its amazing how many people don't seem aware of the world around them. From the bleeding obvious "these stairs are wet, perhaps I should stop pushing through people" to the more obscure "its 8am and I've just boarded the train in zone 6, perhaps I should move down the car instead of standing right in the middle of the passageway leaving vast amounts of room and forcing people to push past me"
At which point, I stand at the doorway and roar 'move down please'. ime far more effective than endlessly repeating tannoy messages.

It's getting worse though. Signs telling people how to use staircases are a new addition. Step-by-step guides to escalators as well. My god, a staircase that moves! How on earth does one use such a thing?
We've had "Stand on the right" signs liberally emplaced down every tube escalator for generations now, and people still fail to grasp what is a monumentally simple concept. Never underestimate the need to reinforce simple instructions on the vacant minds of commuters.

We've had "Stand on the right" signs liberally emplaced down every tube escalator for generations now, and people still fail to grasp what is a monumentally simple concept. Never underestimate the need to reinforce simple instructions on the vacant minds of commuters.
or...

signs/tannoy pronouncements don't work.

The thinking seems to be:

These announcements are not working. What we need is MORE announcements.

That's part of the seat game though. Positioning yourself to increase the likelihood of getting one when someone with one disembarks. It's far from being oblivious - the opposite in fact.

We did the same thing in our libraries a few months back, same reasons, now it's "everyone".

There's the odd slip as "ladies and gentlemen" is so habitual, but people adapt.

Where I am right now the escalators ask you to hold on tightly to the handrail, step inside the yellow box marked on each step and various other things in four languages. There are also signs warning you not to wear rubber shoes lest you be sucked into the machinery, and advisory notices detailing how often the handrails are sterilised.

We did the same thing in our libraries a few months back, same reasons, now it's "everyone".

There's the odd slip as "ladies and gentlemen" is so habitual, but people adapt.
I don't feel "everyone" is a suitable replacement for "ladies & gentlemen". It satisfies the requirement of being gender neutral, which is definitely a step in the right direction, but it lacks the aural impact.

Consider these two functionally equivalent announcements:

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please".

"Everyone, may I have your attention please".

The former is more impactful, the latter is more terse. If the objective is to garner peoples' attention before conveying (presumably) important information, something with a little more punch than "everyone" needs to be devised.

The recent 'see it say it sort it' one that plays on a loop on london overground is bloody awful, a remake of 'if you see anyone behaving suspicously..'

Where I am right now the escalators ask you to hold on tightly to the handrail, step inside the yellow box marked on each step and various other things in four languages. There are also signs warning you not to wear rubber shoes lest you be sucked into the machinery, and advisory notices detailing how often the handrails are sterilised.
I would certainly hope the handrails were being frequently sterilised if people are regularly being sucked into the machinery.

I don't feel "everyone" is a suitable replacement for "ladies & gentlemen". It satisfies the requirement of being gender neutral, which is definitely a step in the right direction, but it lacks the aural impact.

The former is more impactful, the latter is more terse. If the objective is to garner peoples' attention before conveying (presumably) important information, something with a little more punch than "everyone" needs to be devised.

I think "attention please, attention please ..." would be fine.

Aye, it doesn't quite feel right for all occasions, but again I don't know how much of that is just habitual and about what we're used to hearing in certain situations.

Although it ain't perfect, I think it's serviceable while we come up with a replacement.

As a driver I intend on starting announcements in my best Dr Nick voice and beginning with "Hi everybody!"

Attachments

• IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 4
When will passengers be told when , where or how to " get off " a train and not " alight " . In what generation did we start to alight from trains

At which point, I stand at the doorway and roar 'move down please'. ime far more effective than endlessly repeating tannoy messages.
you imagine:
187011f04cb023c5ce96812cbcb00de8.jpg

what other people see:
000.png

Apparently coffee is hot and could scald if 'misused' . Who would have thought...

Back
Top Bottom