Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transphobes gunning hard for 'paedophilia' angle all of a sudden

I'd like to know how (if this is possible) it might compare to the risk level of some other meds - I do accept that having plentiful evidence of blockers safety and efficacy for treatment of precocious puberty is not necessarily the same as having evidence it is safe and generally a good idea for people to take it and then come off them and potentially have puberty much later or maybe have a late puberty affected by cross-sex hormones (or whatever is involved in going coming off blockers and going onto cross sex hormones, I don't know how it works). But unfortunately it's such an emotive topic that it's difficult to have an objective conversation about it generally.

It's worth noting that this report says there's a grand total of fewer than 100 kids on blockers - not clear if in England or whole UK, but either way it's hardly massive numbers and evidence that they are not 'being handed out like sweeties' as some people keep trying to portray it.
in England

who were late to the game and GIDS has always been infested with transphobes because it was run by T+P who are so wedded to Psychotherapy. Until a coouple of years ago T+P employed a Psychiatrist who openly adveritsed Conversion Therapy for adult service users , despite a centruty of evidence showing Conversion therapy does not work for Gender Incongruence. T+P are also advocates for Conversion Therapy in Autism and continue to push the 'extreme male brain' guff around Autism

I'd like to know how (if this is possible) it might compare to the risk level of some other meds - I do accept that having plentiful evidence of blockers safety and efficacy for treatment of precocious puberty is not necessarily the same as having evidence it is safe and generally a good idea for people to take it and then come off them and potentially have puberty much later or maybe have a late puberty affected by cross-sex hormones (or whatever is involved in going coming off blockers and going onto cross sex hormones, I don't know how it works). But unfortunately it's such an emotive topic that it's difficult to have an objective conversation about it generally.

It's worth noting that this report says there's a grand total of fewer than 100 kids on blockers - not clear if in England or whole UK, but either way it's hardly massive numbers and evidence that they are not 'being handed out like sweeties' as some people keep trying to portray it.

It's a tiny number of kids and always has been. There is a large and growing body of evidence which supports their use, as well as a vast amount of evidence which supports the benefits of transition more generally. Puberty blockers followed by hormones have been used to treat trans kids since the 1990s in some settings, this became much more commonplace in the early 2000's and has been the usual treatment protocol in most countries where treament is available for 15 years or so. To date there is no published evidence at all of harm and other than a handful of detransitioners (globally) who had this treatment regret rates are lower than for almost all other medical interventions.

This is often presented as a medical scandal by gender criticals and appears to be unique amongst medical scandals that almost all the actual patients are really happy they had this treatment, the evidence supports it and regret is incredibly low, but some other people, who aren't trans, don't like it and think their concerns outweigh both the evidence and the feelings of the patient group. It's perhaps the first medical scandal in history where the 'victims' are people who haven't had any treatment at all but just don't like the thought of other people having it.

No branch of medicine is certain, there will always be side effects, regret etc and good practice is weighing those against the general benefits. But in this case I don't think a lot of people, including some medical professionals, really believe that there is any benefit to this treatment and that there would be no consequences (or even positive consequences - less trans people) if it is not provided. I think gender affirming care inspires a kind of body horror in a lot of cis people who just can't imagine and understand why anyone would want to do that - which has a kind of irony in that that horror they feel is akin to the dysphoria that trans people feel and the reason many choose to alter their bodies.

Anyway this announcement is weird because they've already said that any kids referred to this treatment will have to be part of a clinical research group so it's not saying anything new and the final Cass report which is supposed to inform new treatment protocols has not yet been published - although given they openly refused to allow trans people any input into the report and there appear to be gender critical activists involved in it then I'm not optimistic about the outcome.

The way they do everything is so skewed - as you say, it's a kind of body horror for them.

Also it's weird the way TERFs and GCs consider things to be 'gotchas' that just aren't - I saw someone online crowing about some report (no idea if any good or reliable) saying most 'gender questioning' children desist like it's some kind of big 'Ha! There's no such thing as trans children!', whereas I, as a trans supportive person see that as fine of true.

'Believe trans kids' is just that, it's believing kids and supporting their identity as it is at any given time. And for all such kids I know or have known (and I think I know about a dozen, most of whom have identified as trans or enby for 2+years) it doesn't feature demand to have medical intervention, and no one 'believing in them' is rushing them towards medical intervention. Three of those dozen have desisted in IDing as trans or enby. That's fine. But while they were identified as such, they were supported. Which is good.

Yeah the whole narrative around detransition has been politicised. It was always the case that some people experimented with transition, both social and medical, then decided it wasn't for them, or more often just found life too hard as a trans person. Sometimes they would retransition when in a better space, or adopt a more gender fluid identity. Even now most people who have detransitioned and stayed that way do not regret the experience and many found it a necessary part of coming to understand themselves. I think there's a problem, especially in the US but here as well, whereby detransitioners are love bombed by anti-trans activists and turned into mini celebrities - although this seems to be happening less as more and more high profile detransitioners end up retransitioning and turning on the anti-trans movement.

The idea that people are rushed into medical treatment is laughable for anyone who has tried to navigate the system. The very small number who have been proscribed puberty blockers are usually those whose gender incongruence has been consistent, insistent and persistent often since infanthood. Many will have already socially transitioned, sometimes years earlier.

The old study they go on about which claims 80% of young people desist was before changes to the DSM diagnosis and largely made up of kids who were gender nonconforming and wouldn't meet the threshold for diagnosis today - and even then it was noted by researchers that when gender dysphoria persists into the early stages of puberty it almost always produces a trans adult. That's why they wait for puberty to begin before using blockers. More recent studies have shown very low rates of regret and detransition for those of all ages who medically transition.

Kind of loathe to give her attention but think it's worth mentioning for all those who have defended JK Rowling or claimed she's not transphobic or just has reasonable concerns. In the last 48 hours she has quoted a prominent anti-vaxxer to attack trans healthcare, called for clinicians working with trans kids to be jailed, called for Stonewall and Mermaids to be prosecuted and claimed that the infamous Nazi book burning of trans and queer literature at the The Institute of Sexology was a 'fever dream' and implied it didn't happen. She then followed this up by posting a cranky twitter thread which claims the Nazi's didn't target trans people - something which has been found to be false by the German courts and was considered a form of holocaust denial in a recent court case.

Twitter thread detailing it here:

Attachments

• jk1.jpeg
    jk1.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 17
  • jk2.jpeg
    jk2.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 19
  • jk3.jpeg
    jk3.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 18
Back