Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what do the police do all day?

In the UK. But iirc, many police around the world had less grounded beginnings.

Much more varied in the US. Again, iirc, the origins of their police forces came from slave patrols in the South and strike breakers?

Protection of property seemed to be the priority.

There is an overlap.

Adam Elliot Cooper book Black Resistance to British Policing points out that colonial style policing was brought to UK with the postwar immigration of people from Carribbean. Policing / over policing of whole communities etc.

There is a continuity between policing in the colonies and policing of recent migrant communities here.

Also the extension of it to white working class. Such as the Miners strike in the 80s. Which was put done in ways not dissimilar to that in Caribbean in the 30s. Which at the time had a lot of labour unrest.

In Insurgent Empire Gopal points out that those who opposed Empire in this country used ( rightly ) the argument that if the authorities use heavy handed repression in colonies and get away with it they will use it here eventually.

So no I don't agree with British exceptionalism here as compared to say US.

There is an overlap.

Adam Elliot Cooper book Black Resistance to British Policing points out that colonial style policing was brought to UK with the postwar immigration of people from Carribbean. Policing / over policing of whole communities etc.

There is a continuity between policing in the colonies and policing of recent migrant communities here.

Also the extension of it to white working class. Such as the Miners strike in the 80s. Which was put done in ways not dissimilar to that in Caribbean in the 30s. Which at the time had a lot of labour unrest.

In Insurgent Empire Gopal points out that those who opposed Empire in this country used ( rightly ) the argument that if the authorities use heavy handed repression in colonies and get away with it they will use it here eventually.

So no I don't agree with British exceptionalism here as compared to say US.
The six counties have been part of the UK since 1801 but never had anything other than colonial policing

I had 3 of them turn up at my place pretending to be concerned of my mental health. While the head copper was busy spinning my head with gaslighting bullshit the other two were conveniently looking around my flat.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Never invite there cunts into your residence unless they have a warrant.

police harassment happens to lots of people,
I get a lot of it being a football fan and Millwall supporter. Years back i took my then 14 year old son to an away game in Peterborough. I let our known mob get the train before me so we could avoid any potential aggro. Got the next train from Kings cross, just me and my boy. Get to Peterborough, through the barriers and start to head towards town for a look about and some food in a cafe.

Outside the station i get stopped by the heavy gang who are all kitted out for a riot. I'm asked where i'm going---- into town officer to eat-----------no you're not, we think you're a trouble maker, you're dressed like one-- well i'm with my son and not looking for trouble------- you're not going into town you're going to join that Millwall lot in the pub up the road,,,,,,,,, i point out that the Millwall lot are an active mob of thugs as well they know and i'm trying to steer clear of that.

No chance, i'm told by the sergant that if i don't join up with the mob of loons that i'll be nicked. Again i point out that i'm trying to avoid potential trouble by keeping away from that mob yet you're insisting that i join them which makes no sense. Again i'm threatened with arrest and being sent back to London afterwards. So they march me and my upset son to the mob of loons and fuck off. Five minutes later all hell broke loose when Peterboroughs mob turn up and attack the pub. My son now hates them because of that event and how they got in my face. I just laughed at the fucker as he screamed at me whilst waving his stick about. A pathetic sight. You've got to hand it to them, they really are as thick as shit. The more of them you get together the thicker they seem to get. Crime prevention they say :D

Last edited:
To be fair, you probably wouldn't really want these fuckers turning up anyway, all geared up to taser the fuck out of some poor sod having a mental health crisis.
Don’t MH incidents take up the majority of the police’s time? Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m assuming that’s was has led to this latest Met announcement.

I worked next to a police station for 5 years, if the incoming and outgoing traffic was considered. It was turning up and going home. Tho one did point out I had a brake light out when I was in a private car park so I could get a bulb while at work.

To be fair, you probably wouldn't really want these fuckers turning up anyway, all geared up to taser the fuck out of some poor sod having a mental health crisis.
Friend of mine had coppers come to "help" him when he was having an episode. They were his friends all the way up until they were just outside the MH unit, and then they decided to jump him from behind and violently restrain him (the situation particularly triggering for him, and I use that word in the proper sense of something that kicks off PTSD).

I understand that there are some situations where coppers need to be present because of legal niceties but they are the last people I'd want around to help apart from that. Grab somebody off the street, they'll be better.

investigating social media arguments by social fuck ups. You know, families death threatenin each other on Facebook .
first person I released form jail had done 6 months after arguing on Facebook with his ex's new boyfriend and arranging to turn up to fight with a samurai sword! the other man had also armed himself with a sword! :facepalm:. Had realised that was probably a stupid thing to do not sure prison had helped though but even idiots with cheapo swords could kill someone if only by accident. so idiot arguements on social media are not harmless they can an do lead to real consequences sadly:hmm:

To answer the op. Today quite a lot of police in the east coast will be spending their day moving, cataloguing and recording bodies in various states of decay taken from a failed funeral home and others will be talking to relatives who are now worried that the remains of their loved ones are involved. There will be officers and staff involved in this.

The lazy pig thick bullies. They should all be sacked or worse.

To answer the op. Today quite a lot of police in the east coast will be spending their day moving, cataloguing and recording bodies in various states of decay taken from a failed funeral home and others will be talking to relatives who are now worried that the remains of their loved ones are involved. There will be officers and staff involved in this.

Not surprised to hear cops from Kent to Northumberland will be helping with this, communities across the land will be safer while they're actually doing something useful. Maybe they can attend burglaries next

quite a lot of police in the east coast

How many is quite a lot? and what are the rest doing?

How many is quite a lot? and what are the rest doing?

I think I read about 110 on this job. Sounds about right. Which is probably about 4 times the number of response cops Humberside put out any one time.

If my area of London is anything to go by, sit around in vans looking at their mobile phones all day while avoiding any crime hotspot where they might actually be needed.

I worked directly next to a police station. In 5 years I saw maybe 20? That includes leaving and getting there, I also had a full view over the car park and front entrance. Idk what they did but it wasn't anything positive about the motorbikes I had stolen from me, quite the opposite.

I had 3 of them turn up at my place pretending to be concerned of my mental health. While the head copper was busy spinning my head with gaslighting bullshit the other two were conveniently looking around my flat.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Never invite there cunts into your residence unless they have a warrant.
you might want to take some UK legal advice rather than relying on the mis-remembering of US cop shows ...

S17 (1) e PACE powers may be used, which is constabulary power and does not require authorisation

More generally speaking, stopping and searching black people, stopping black people for 'matching a (Very vague) description, stopping black people for driving nice cars while black, going into schools and arresting kids who should probably just be getting a detention or something. Just generally being all round cunts.

Confirmed in this US study:

A new report adds to a growing line of research showing that police departments don’t solve serious or violent crimes with any regularity, and in fact, spend very little time on crime control, in contrast to popular narratives.

...researchers analyzed the data to show how officers spend their time, and the patterns that emerge tell a striking story about how policing actually works. Those results, too, comport with existing research showing that U.S. police spend much of their time conducting racially biased stops and searches of minority drivers, often without reasonable suspicion, rather than “fighting crime.”

In 2019, 88% of the time L.A. County sheriff’s officers spent on stops was for officer-initiated stops rather than in response to calls. The overwhelming majority of that time – 79% – was spent on traffic violations. By contrast, just 11% of those hours was spent on stops based on reasonable suspicion of a crime.

Confirmed in this US study:

A new report adds to a growing line of research showing that police departments don’t solve serious or violent crimes with any regularity, and in fact, spend very little time on crime control, in contrast to popular narratives.

...researchers analyzed the data to show how officers spend their time, and the patterns that emerge tell a striking story about how policing actually works. Those results, too, comport with existing research showing that U.S. police spend much of their time conducting racially biased stops and searches of minority drivers, often without reasonable suspicion, rather than “fighting crime.”

In 2019, 88% of the time L.A. County sheriff’s officers spent on stops was for officer-initiated stops rather than in response to calls. The overwhelming majority of that time – 79% – was spent on traffic violations. By contrast, just 11% of those hours was spent on stops based on reasonable suspicion of a crime.

I'd be interested to see a UK study, I'd be surprised if it came to any different conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom