Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what do the police do all day?

Back in the 80s, my parents ran a coffee shop for cops in Ancoats, Manchester. It wasn't actually a coffee shop, it was a second hand furniture shop, but the cops treated it as a free coffee shop. It started after the place got robbed, and continued until they closed the business a few years later.
I remember being there one weekend, and two cops were sat drinking coffee when a call came over the radio, asking for officers to attend a fight in the city centre. My mother, sick of them being there, asked "Are you going to answer that?". They turned and looked at each other, then one laughed and said "We'll head over in 20 minutes. It'll be over by then and we'll arrest any stragglers."
That's been my view of "what the police do all day" ever since.

In New York they just sit in their squad cars. If they do occasionally walk around, they're looking at their phones. No interaction with the general public, no 'bobby on the beat' PR bullshit. They seem to get the arse if a member of the public actually tries to talk to them.

Also, they only seem to come in 2 sizes: they're either roided up with the cliche tattoos on both arms or they're fat fucks who couldn't outrun an octogenarian on a mobility scooter.

The local community page on Facebook is always relaying incidents where the police have been called in relation to an ongoing incident . . . and the police eventually turn up 2 or 3 hours later. And my local community page isn't anti-police by default, but even they know the police are taking the piss.

I'm afraid I don't have a high opinion of New York's finest.

Back in the 80s, my parents ran a coffee shop for cops in Ancoats, Manchester. It wasn't actually a coffee shop, it was a second hand furniture shop, but the cops treated it as a free coffee shop. It started after the place got robbed, and continued until they closed the business a few years later.
I remember being there one weekend, and two cops were sat drinking coffee when a call came over the radio, asking for officers to attend a fight in the city centre. My mother, sick of them being there, asked "Are you going to answer that?". They turned and looked at each other, then one laughed and said "We'll head over in 20 minutes. It'll be over by then and we'll arrest any stragglers."
That's been my view of "what the police do all day" ever since.
Crime won’t crack itself

Back
Top Bottom