Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

Bookies currently have 100-149 votes against as the likeliest tally with 150-199 not far behind.

Someone on twitter pointing out that May had far more pledges of support at this stage than Johnson in her VONC. This was about an hour ago- Johnson by then had only 82 pledges. A bit like a dismal one day team falling badly behind the run rate.

Johnson will win by the Duckworth-Lewis method...a perfect outcome really, sparking off a similar period of cats-in-a-sack infighting that plagued Major after the Redwood leadership challenge in 1995.

The worry is if he loses and is replaced not by someone from his mad praetorian guard (Patel / Dorries /Javid et al) or an obvious idiot like Truss, but instead by a plausible, nicely pressed trousers, correct side-parting, saying "Now Look Here..." in a booming army major voice like Tugendhat, the Tories might be able to move on effectively, as the opposition in the HoC is so comically shit.

I think if he goes today the "possible prosecution / jail time" dial twitches increasingly towards a "possible" rather than "absolutely no chance".

The worry is if he loses and is replaced not by someone from his mad praetorian guard (Patel / Dorries /Javid et al) or an obvious idiot like Truss, but instead by a plausible, nicely pressed trousers, correct side-parting, saying "Now Look Here..." in a booming army major voice like Tugendhat, the Tories might be able to move on effectively, as the opposition in the HoC is so comically shit.

I think if he goes today the "possible prosecution / jail time" dial twitches increasingly towards a "possible" ratehr than "absolutely no chance".
there will be twitches among the swivel-eyed whether he stays or goes. if he goes there will be trouble but if he stays it will be double, as the clash would have sung

Snap poll from yougov -

If Boris Johnson were deposed, who would Conservative members want to succeed him?

Ben Wallace: 12%
Liz Truss: 11%
Jeremy Hunt: 10%
Penny Mordaunt: 8%
Rishi Sunak / Michael Gove: =7%
Priti Patel: 6%
Tom Tugendhat/Nadhim Zahawi: =5%
Dominic Raab: 4%

Interesting that Wallace is top, but Truss just behind, seriously? :facepalm:
most of the people saying ben wallace were thinking of gregg wallace
most of the people saying liz truss were thinking of lynn truss
they will be horrified if they elect either of those mps thinking they were getting someone else

Ben Wallace also fits into the "booming-voiced ex-army officer" category. Not much profile, but again a plausible "decent" or "honourable" successor which would enable the Tories to lock Johnson in an ignominious flotation tank and push him off Land's End in the general direction of America.

Already posted on the Johnson thread.

I don't get why people keep posting about Johnson on this thread, which is supposed to be about what comes next if there's a leadership contest.

Already posted on the Johnson thread.

I don't get why people keep posting about Johnson on this thread, which is supposed to be about what comes next if there's a leadership contest.
My bad...just got in from diff day & striating to drink what I hope turns out to be quite a large amount of beer.

Back
Top Bottom