Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

I find it scary how sleazy and incompetent some of the contenders are, and those are just the ones I know something about.

I suppose I could reassure myself with the thought they may not win, but how the hell are slippery characters like Zahawi and Shapps even getting close to a position where they could become the most powerful in the land. Isn’t this a clear warning signal that the system itself is fucked up?

Zahawi and Shapps are joke candidates. The likely run off will be Sunak/Truss. Johnson and those seeking to replace him are symptoms and not the cause. They are the spectre of the Britain after 45 years of neo-liberalism made flesh.

I find it scary how sleazy and incompetent some of the contenders are, and those are just the ones I know something about.

I suppose I could reassure myself with the thought they may not win, but how the hell are slippery characters like Zahawi and Shapps even getting close to a position where they could become the most powerful in the land. Isn’t this a clear warning signal that the system itself is fucked up?
Remember we're at the stage of the contest where a lot of it is about jostling for position in the next government rather than realistic attempts to become leader.

Each grouplet in the party will pick someone to stand for them, then when the realistic candidates become apparent they'll throw their support behind whoever offers them the best deal/cabinet position, bringing their supporters with them.

I just find it amusing the every growing list of candidates, most of whom will get eliminated in the first round. :D

Schroedinger's candidate.

According to Sky News, supporters of Priti Patel, the home secretary, are saying there isa a “strong but not 100% chance” that she will declare herself as a candidate later today.

From the Guardian

Candidates with fewer than 36 votes likely to be excluded after first round, senior Tory says​

A new 1922 Committee executive is being elected today, and its first job, late this afternoon, will be to finalise the arrangements for the parliamentary stage of the Tory leadership contest. That is the part where MPs whittle the candidates down to a shortlist of two.

But the current committee has already been considering this (the new committee will have the same chair, Sir Graham Brady) and Bob Blackman, its joint executive secretary, gave an interview to Sky News this morning setting what is likely to be the process.

• Blackman said that Conservative party members will definitely get a vote because candidates will have to promise not to pull out if they make it onto the final shortlist. In 2016 Andrea Leadsom and Theresa May were the two names on the final shortlist, but Leadsom conceded at that point, and so May became leader without members having a say. This speeded up the contest by several weeks. But it meant that May never had the chance to obtain a mandate from the membership, or explain in more detail what her agenda was. Blackman said promising to contest the final ballot would be “a condition of nomination”.
  • He said that candidates would need the support of at least 20 MPs to be allowed onto the ballot paper. To show they have a “broad swathe of support, candidates will need a proposer, a seconder and then 18 “or possibly more supporters” to qualify for the ballot, he said. In 2019 candidates needed the support of just eight MPs to be allowed to contest the first round.
  • He said that, after the first ballot, candidates were likely to need at least 36 votes - 10% of the party - for them to stay in the contest. The Tories elect their leader using an exhaustive ballot, which means the candidate with fewest votes drops out each round. But a threshold will apply so that if, as expected, several candidates get little support, they will have to drop out. In the 2019 contest the first round threshold was set at 5% of the parliamentary party (17 MPs). This time it is likely to be double that, Blackman said. He said he did not think a threshold would be needed for later rounds. In 2019 a 10% threshold applied after the second ballot.

Occasionally you see reference to a totally unknown (in the UK) American as 'One time Presidential candidate', so even running seems to accumulate some kudos. I suspect that is the case here.

It's partly place marking - candidates are jostling for position in the next Cabinet by demonstrating their support within the Parliamentary party or in the case of Jawid and Shapps their lack of support suggesting their time has come and gone. But it's also a political on the right. Only one of Truss, Patel, Braverman and Badenoch can go forward and this is about clarifying the demands and position of their group.

It's partly place marking - candidates are jostling for position in the next Cabinet by demonstrating their support within the Parliamentary party or in the case of Jawid and Shapps their lack of support suggesting their time has come and gone. But it's also a political on the right. Only one of Truss, Patel, Braverman and Badenoch can go forward and this is about clarifying the demands and position of their group.

I don't have a vote, but if I did, 'None of the above' would seem appropriate.

If they carry on like this as a party (vote for me because I’m very un-woke I’ll protect the statues and send the refugees to the bottom of the sea etc) they are screwing themselves for the future aren’t they, the old and racist aren’t a great long term strategy.
People having been saying things like this for decades, they are a party in decline, their voters are too old, they will never be in power again.

How well have those predictions gone?

People having been saying things like this for decades, they are a party in decline, their voters are too old, they will never be in power again.

The left has several problems.

It’s unable to articulate a version of the future it can sell, at least none that Starmer and the Labour Party are willing to sell - which means that the nostalgia industry continues to tug powerfully at voters.

The media is run by the same people who are in charge and they don’t want change or to mention that big money is an issue.

Lastly the current voting system favours hegemonic broadchurch parties with winner takes all results and that doesn’t work well with the fondness for argument and debate (and yes grudges) that that is endemic in left circles - the tories will work with anyone and climb any greasy pole to get a leg up

They're not really gaining any new supporters, but the problem for Labour is that they aren't either. Voter turnout is low. That's the problem with first past the post, where most votes don't feel like they matter.

When I mention the media has problems, this from the guardian is a fine example.

Even Tom Tugendhat, sometimes seen as the most mainstream/centrist/one nation of the candidates in the contest, is calling for tax cuts, backing the Northern Ireland protocol bill and defending deporting asylum seekers to Rwanda - all policies that might loosely be labelled rightwing.

Loosely labelled as right wing BECAUSE THEY ARE RIGHT WING.

Occasionally you see reference to a totally unknown (in the UK) American as 'One time Presidential candidate', so even running seems to accumulate some kudos. I suspect that is the case here.

It would look good on CVs and consultancy job interviews

Can you give an example of an instance where you showed drive and determination or took on a failing project and turned it around?

"Well I stood for Conservative Party leader elections. I was not successful, but my candidacy helped bring focus on the issues I believed mattered to the British people: honesty, integrity, cutting taxes, cost of living. I also appeared on Sky News with Sophy Ridge and Kay Burley"

It would look good on CVs and consultancy job interviews

Can you give an example of an instance where you showed drive and determination or took on a failing project and turned it around?

"Well I stood for Conservative Party leader elections. I was not successful, but my candidacy helped bring focus on the issues I believed mattered to the British people: honesty, integrity, cutting taxes, cost of living. I also appeared on Sky News with Sophy Ridge and Kay Burley"

“We had several great candidates for the penguin guano wheelbarrow operative opening. Unfortunately on this occasion you weren’t successful so it’s back to your important role loading the barrows by hand.”

Back
Top Bottom