Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tommy Robinson is a horrible man

That's a fairly well-discredited myth. Yet it persists, most commonly in schools, whom you'd think should know better.
It's not a myth. That's the British Dyslexia Association, not known for pushing myths about dyslexia. It's true that there are several other serif free fonts that are recommended but it's also true that comic sans is definitely one of them. It also has the distinction of very few shared letter shapes, including b and d not simply being reversals of each other as they are in a lot of fonts which some dyslexics who report letter flipping say helps. IME a lot of teachers are reluctant to use comic sans because of its reputation as somehow inferior and yet regularly use fonts that aren't on the BDA's list.

I don't have dyslexia but I would doubt any of the individual recommendations in that BDA style guide are helpful to every person that does.

I can only say that when I had to proof some book length texts in a foreign language I found converting them to Comic Sans made the job far easier.
But then happily I wasn't concerned about what other people might think about my choice. Or words to that effect.

I don't have dyslexia but I would doubt any of the individual recommendations in that BDA style guide are helpful to every person that does.
None of them are magic bullets, it's just a list of fonts that share certain desirable characteristics. Even dyslexia specific fonts like dyslexie (which always makes me think the printer's running out of ink) are only helpful for a proportion of dyslexics. Dyslexia is a continuum of symptoms rather than a neatly defined condition anyway.

There is something nagging at the back of my mind about the whole TR thing just now.

Did he plan his leaving the country in order to make his "triumphant return" if all his shitstirring had worked and the unrest he and his ilk promoted had spiraled into major unrest? The timing seems just too convenient to me.

Or am I just being cynical and crediting him with too much intelligence/ability.

Seems you're not the brightest spark here if you don't understand that dismissing comics as simple and unchallenging reading is snobbery. How are your knuckles dragging today?

The comment was clearly directed at TR followers and the sort of comics they are likely to read.

The comment was clearly directed at TR followers and the sort of comics they are likely to read.

His book is in comic sans because comics are the most difficult reading his fans have ever attempted
I don't see the qualification you're seeking to impose in boo radley75's post. You're making it up. It's part of a common belief that comics of all sorts are intellectual pap. What sort of comics do you think syl's fans are likely to read, Cupid?

I don't see the qualification you're seeking to impose on boo radley75's post. You're making it up. It's part of a common belief that comics of all sorts are intellectual pap. What sort of comics do you think syl's fans are likely to read, Cupid?

You're taking a throw away comment out of context, being the pedant you are, and I am not going to get involved further in your silly little game.

You're taking a throw away comment out of context, being the pedant you are, and I am not going to get involved further in your silly little game.
You can learn a lot about people from what you consider throw away comments. I don't think that condemning a whole genre as pap's anything other than arrant snobbery, and you've associated yourself with that unhappy posture through your dubious support for br75.

E2A and tbh the constant guffawing about how thick syl's fans are is dull fare. It's imo really daft to underestimate your foes and the constant harping on about how thick they are is daft. Syl pulls out a fair number of people, turnouts anti-fascists would be very pleased with if they'd organised it. Frankly it doesn't matter how intelligent or otherwise they are, they're there. They get out on the street. Beyond laughing at them, beyond describing them as knuckledragging, have you anything to add or is that as incisive an analysis as you can make? How would you propose they are countered?

Last edited:

Tommy Ten Names, the exposer of religious groups where children have been groomed and abused has been strangely silent today after it was revealed.

The former English Defence League leader, who is well known for reporting on paedophiles, but only the brown ones, has been conspicuous by his absence after the latest revelations against the Jesus Army.

Tommy Robinson fan Simon Williams told us, “Wherever children are being abused by religious fanatics, Tommy is always there to tell his followers around the world all about it.

“Yes, he’s a bit quiet about the Jesus Army stuff at the moment, but it’s probably only because the government is blocking his phone to stop him telling the people the truth, or maybe the reception on his latest holiday is a bit shit.

“It’s definitely not because he’s a racist hypocrite who only gets angry at brown paedos.”

He's publishing a book called 'Manifesto', the title on the front cover is in Comic Sans, and people are taking the piss. :D

Other replies include -

Do Amazon accept payment in Roubles? Can they do a bulk order of 20,000? Asking for a friend.

He's publishing a book called 'Manifesto', the title on the front cover is in Comic Sans, and people are taking the piss. :D

Other replies include -

Sorry to be thick but wtf is wrong with the font? Genuinely don't get it

Well fun and japes aside he got ten thousand supporters in Trafalgar Square not long ago.

What’s the response to be this time?
I was in London (leicester square) that afternoon...was fucking horrible. Pissheads screaming "England" in the faces of anyone they thought they could intimidate.
That and the riots the following week were the first time I have felt I didn't belong since I was a little kid in the 70s....and I was fucking born here ffs

was developed for a Microsoft programme that gave text to comic with speech bubbles..
the name comic sans hints at it being for this purposes..

as such it was never intended for formal documents and should not be used for cover of a book..

see linkage

comic sans good for a lemonade stand.. not much else :)
Great, a website about what comic sans is for written by someone who doesn't know what capital letters are for. That hurt my eyes far more than comic sans ever has.

he asked i'm giving the reason people dislike it

*shrugs

you can always blame nato if you like
What, people don't like it because it was never intended for a book cover? How many fonts have been designed with book covers in mind? Not a lot I'd have thought. Yeh, you're brimming with font snobbery and when you mix in a bit of crossthread beef it's a poor look for you

Back
Top Bottom