Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tommy Robinson is a horrible man

this font/colour choice transported me straight back to myspace.

not sure it him mind :hmm: maybe

full.jpg

Photos from Tommy Robinson (177771474) on Myspace

I'm not a big fan of font snobbery, for all that I am a bit of a typeface nerd, but I do make a specific and particular exception for Comic Sans.

It's fine in context - cutesy prompts and the like, ideally in the most transient way possible - but, like an awful lot of other typefaces, it is far too often used inappropriately.

Typefaces do have their characters. Times New Roman was always, traditionally, the Typeface of Authority, what government publications were written in. Used in other contexts, it often looks silly (mixed-case bold TNR used on a sign or hoarding, for example). Helvetica, the grand dame of grotesque san-serif, is great on building names and New York tube stations, but palls a bit when you're on your third block paragraph of it (I'm looking at you, 1980s DBMS manuals).

Added to which, Comic Sans has - not entirely unreasonably, in my view - acquired a particular reputation for its (mis)use, which has left it with some cultural baggage that it probably can't outlive. I don't think it's snobbishness, just a rather better awareness that typefaces have their particular places and uses, and Comic Sans was unfortunate enough to become the embodiment of many of the most egregious breaking of that principle.

Back
Top Bottom