Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trial of Lucy Letby

Yeh, she will. She's going to be checked on every five minutes apparently. And it will be solitary confinement. She's only 33 so that's a lot of time.
They always do that with new life prisoners. They won't keep that up forever as I doubt they have the manpower. Fred West eventually managed it.

Three others, so four in total, according to the Graun. But they don't say who the others are.

Three others, so four in total, according to the Graun. But they don't say who the others are.

They do now; Rosemary West and Joanna Dennehy (a 2013 spree killer I have genuinely never heard of). And as above Hindley is the final, but deceased.

I struggle to imagine how day to day work went on in the months after doctors first raised their concerns (and management firstly ignored them, secondly manipulated the inquiries and finally threatened the docs into apologising/shutting up). At the beginning of that period there was a probably a bit of cognitive dissonance in the minds of the docs - 'this needs examining, but surely she can't be killing them' - through to a strong sense they were dealing with a child killer at the end (particularly the period before just before she was removed - and then reinstated). How did they manage to do day to day work, which would have meant working with her and passing on treatment plans to her for the different children, doing ward rounds with her etc?

Am I right in saying we didn't hear much/anything from the other nurses on the ward at the trial?

Whole Life Tariff - which for her own safety she'll spend largely [completely ?] in solitary.
Even the screws will hate her, even whilst behaving completely professionally.

At 33 she's going to have a very long time to consider her actions.
Just hope that she doesn't "find god" in an attempt to ameliorate her self-made isolation / situation.
perhaps instead of a bible, she should get the OED ...
I wouldn't trust her with anything sharp / flammable or even interesting.

Whole Life Tariff - which for her own safety she'll spend largely [completely ?] in solitary.
Even the screws will hate her, even whilst behaving completely professionally.

At 33 she's going to have a very long time to consider her actions.
Just hope that she doesn't "find god" in an attempt to ameliorate her self-made isolation / situation.
perhaps instead of a bible, she should get the OED ...
I wouldn't trust her with anything sharp / flammable or even interesting.

It cost about £40k a year to keep someone in prison. A dropped razor blade is 10p.

She's already been inside for what 5 years? Presume she'll have been in isolation/VP for all of that too. Do things radically change from here on?

Edit - not quite. 3 years ish. Remanded after her 3rd arrest in November 2020.

Think Hindley was on something like 30 years, but never got released because no Home Secretary would sign it off.
Whole life orders were brought in in 1983, so Hindley didn't get one of those. In effect she did have one, though. Life sentences come with minimums rather than maximums.

Obviously not as has gone not-guilty all the way through.

Would imagine that Rampton will be seeing her at some point.
Yeah, I’ve considered that if she’s been in some form of extreme denial then there’s a possibility that if that breaks down she’ll end up on a psychiatric section. Or maybe that’s me projecting as I don’t see how anyone could do something so horrific and live with themselves/not lose touch with reality. :(

It also wouldn’t be a cop out - psychiatric secure units aren’t great places and whilst this won’t apply to a life sentence, criminal MH sections can lead to periods of incarceration that way outstretch original sentences.

Would this 'policy' be applied to all prisoners serving sentences of more than 12 months?

No. Just for people who murder small children.

We have nurses on here, I'm one of them. For us all, the safeguarding of those little lives was/is the most challenging and rewarding part of our training. We would have done anything to preserve a baby's life. The worst moment of my nursing life was having a baby with whooping cough literally die in my arms. I cried myself to sleep that night. They are so fragile, so tiny, to begin with you are genuinely afraid to handle them in case you break them. The death of a baby is a dreadful thing to happen, for it to happen by deliberate act is absolutely beyond comprehension.

This person is utterly beyond redemption, and can never adequately pay for what she did. It wouldn't distress me for an instant if she committed suicide, I wouldn't be dancing with joy, a life is a life, I signed up to look after them all, irrespective of what they had done, but I certainly wouldn't be upset.

Reading through a journalists court notes, I found it strange that she only cried when 1) the doctor she fancied gave evidence, 2) she spoke about her own suicidal thoughts, 3) spoke about her arrest. The death/near death of 13 children seems to have passed her by. I am not qualified to make psychological evaluations, but there definitely seems to be a lack of empathy combined with narcism in her conduct and possibly an infatuation with the junior doctor may have played some small part in her actions.

Back
Top Bottom