Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boris Johnson must go on trial for 'lying and misleading' in Brexit campaign, judge orders

BBC News reporting BJ's defence team are saying this was political campaigning, implying MPs get a 'free pass', and nothing to do with his 'day-job', e.g. as Mayor of London, implying perhaps that position doesn't get a 'free pass'.

Despite it being a private prosecution, apparently the CPS can step in at any point and stop it, as 'not in the public interest', although the suggestion is the CPS wouldn't actually do that in this case, because it's such a 'hot potato'.

Where ever it goes, there's going to be some proper entertainment involved. :thumbs:

He's a petulant cunt, so I bet he's throwing massive wobblies behind the scenes. That's a thought that pleases me immensely.

The legal gymnastics are amusing, and I would like to see BJ hammered, but the precedent set by a conviction would change British politics for ever.
Any politician found to have lied to the public could be taken to court, that meaning politicians would be forced to tell the truth all the time or risk being sent down...
I, for one, have no issue with this concept...
I quite like this piece

How much does Britain really pay into the EU budget?

It clearly states "Leave" lied, but also tells us "remain" also lied, thus any conviction against BJ could spark action against remain campaigners as well.
Talk about Pandora's box.
If the law is being brought to bear against liars in public office then it should be applied equally, not just against the twats we hate.

I, for one, have no issue with this concept...

If the law is being brought to bear against liars in public office then it should be applied equally, not just against the twats we hate.
Yes, cos the law is always applied equally...

In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.”

I'm liking the precision of his language.

I don't suppose he'll discuss this case as it's live and his words could influence a jury.

Finding jurors who don't have a pre-existing view won't be easy :)

In UK law that isn't an issue. US got all het up about jury selection. Here as long as they don't discuss with anyone else they are trusted to use their own minds.

Seriously though I honestly doubt anything will come of this, it will probably end up with some judge ruling that whoever is bringing this case is setting unrealistically high standards since politicians (sadly) so not fall under the Trade Descriptions Act.
Ironically, the Trade Descriptions Act 1968 was repealed for the most part by the Consumer Protection from Unfair trading Regulations 2008 which brought into domestic law the The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive 2005/29/EC. However, the Fraud Act 2006 is often a more effective tool..

In UK law that isn't an issue. US got all het up about jury selection. Here as long as they don't discuss with anyone else they are trusted to use their own minds.
The CPS says
Challenges for Cause
This can be made by either the prosecution or defence and may either be a challenge to the whole panel of jurors (challenges to the array) or to an individual juror (challenges to the polls).

Whilst the common law power of challenges to the array is preserved by the Juries Act 1974, it is now almost inoperative and is of historical significance only.

With regards to challenges to the polls, a juror can be challenged on the grounds of bias, which would cause him to be unsuitable to try the case. For example, where he has expressed hostility to one side or connected to one side in some way.
Both sides can check the backgrounds of people on the panel so in theory they can then challenge any obviously biased candidates.

Finding anyone in the country without some sort of strong view about Johnson would be hard. This is a well funded private prosecution, with both sides motivated in a massively political test case with profound implications, so it's reasonable to suppose absolutely everything possible will be contested.

It was more of a weak joke than a serious point, though.

Last edited:
The CPS says

Both sides can check the backgrounds of people on the panel so in theory they can then challenge any obviously biased candidates.

Finding anyone in the country without some sort of strong view about Johnson would be hard. This is a well funded private prosecution, with both sides motivated in a massively political test case with profound implications, so it's reasonable to suppose absolutely everything possible will be contested.

It was more of a weak joke than a serious point, though.
Thanks. Didn't know any of that. Haven't come across it before.

ETA Just read it through and it does look like it happens in extremely exceptional circumstances whereas in the US jury selection is half the battle for trial lawyers.

Last edited:
Thanks. Didn't know any of that. Haven't come across it before.

ETA Just read it through and it does look like it happens in extremely exceptional circumstances whereas in the US jury selection is half the battle for trial lawyers.
Well that's good- I thought you might say "I'm a lawyer and ..." and I'd have egg on face :)

This has the makings of an exceptional case- even if Johnson isn't PM if it ever comes to court- as it's being prosecuted by a freelance troublemaker on a mission.

I vaguely recall the Stoke Newington Eight being the last trial in which jury selection was used strategically by the defence to try and infleunce the composition of the panel, rather than just as a tactic to address a very specific material concern. While not sure on the details, I think the rules of how it applies became much more narrowly defined afterwards.

It won't go anywhere. Even if makes the next hurdle, the CPS will take it over then discontinue it.
Amusing as it is, this case against Johnson is nonsense. I'd have thought there was more substance to the Blair (Iraq) case. Seem to remember there were discussions about mounting a prosecution against him after the Chilcot Inquiry reported. Came to nothing as did all the talk of doing him for war crimes, but at least there was something like a paper trail there on the 'sexing up'.

yeh but his example of nick clegg's not really thought through. nc entered government - nc, it must be said, to his own surprise - and once there found, he felt, matters did not allow him to keep his promise. that's really rather different from telling a load of lies with an utterly cavalier disregard for the truth in a referendum campaign.

Actually I agree with that, but I think what Malik was mainly getting at that the legal action against Johnson is a pointless and maybe even undesirable, exercise (or so Malik thinks).

Actually I agree with that, but I think what Malik was mainly getting at that the legal action against Johnson is a pointless and maybe even undesirable, exercise (or so Malik thinks).
upload_2019-6-3_15-41-36.png
hmm. for much of the campaign (until 5/5/16) johnson was mayor of london. for the remainder he was mp for uxbridge. he did not seek re-election to the mayoralty. he has been re-elected by the burghers of uxbridge. but! when will the people to whom he spoke on the stump have recourse to eject him at the ballot box?

I am an admirer of Malik normally but that article is risible.

For a start this is not a case of the law expanding itself into a new area; it is a common law offence and applies to all public officers. Nor is there any substantive difference in law, at least for this offence, between a doctor, a solicitor, a cop or a mayor and an MP or minister - if its misconduct for a doctor to lie to you, it is misconduct when an MP does it. It would be not applying this to MPs that would be legal over-reach, given that Parliament hasn't in nearly 350 years (and nearly 100 years of them being paid) felt the need to make a specific exemption for MPs. One might also point to the very strong presumption in Parliament against lying - requiring ministers and MPs to apologise for misleading the house, disciplining them when they don't, the ban on calling another MP a liar in the Commons etc - as further evidence of how seriously Parliament takes MPs not telling the truth.

What is even worse is his next argument that an MP must obey but not be answerable to the law, only the electorate - an argument which manages to completely misunderstand the concept of British parliamentary elections (in which parties and leaders are at least as important as MPs, so MPs do not really get personal mandates), which forgets that the electorate would have to vote on everything that MP had done in five years (so providing no specific mandate for any particular act), which would legitimize the blatant criminality of the past twenty years and which to build on Pickman's point would only apply to their individual constituents anyway (and not even then if they stood down / changed role), not the wider public who might have been victimised by what has happened.

What takes the biscuit though is that its fundamentally the same argument - that MPs are covered by Parliamentary priviledge when committing criminal offences in relation to their office - that Chaytor et al tried when they were caught robbing their expenses, an argument that the Supreme Court rejected overwhelmingly because it was nonsense that was unsupported by any actual evidence.

edit: point 99 of that judgement perhaps says this better than anything else:

99.The Theft Act extends to England and Wales. In other words, it forms part of the law of England and Wales. The Houses of Parliament and their dépendances are in England and so the criminal law of England applies to what is done there. The most famous illustration of this elementary point is, perhaps, the murder of the Prime Minister, Mr Spencer Percival, in the lobby of the House of Commons in 1812. John Bellingham was arrested, prosecuted, tried for murder at the Old Bailey, convicted and executed – all according to the common law of England. If the assassin had been a fellow MP, then by the law of England he too would have committed murder. The same would have applied if the MP had assassinated the Prime Minister in the chamber of the House of Commons. Less dramatically, if a Member of Parliament were to steal money from a fellow Member’s wallet in a room in the House of Commons or from the till in the Members’ Dining Room, he would commit theft under section 1 of the Theft Act. Similarly, if a Member intentionally damaged one of the statues of former Prime Ministers in the lobby of the House of Commons, he would commit criminal damage under section 1 of the Criminal Damage Act 1971.

Last edited:
Are there precedents for the prosecution of a prominent politician for claims made during campaigning?

Not that I am aware of, though it doesn't really matter - if you accept (as Malik did) that its right for a doctor or lawyer to be guilty under this then it will extend to prominent politicians (provided that they are holders of public office).

Not that I am aware of, though it doesn't really matter - if you accept (as Malik did) that its right for a doctor or lawyer to be guilty under this then it will extend to prominent politicians (provided that they are holders of public office).
Why, that does not logically follow at all?
In fact you what you are doing is making politics into an expert field rather than battleground of opinions.

Why, that does not logically follow at all?
In fact you what you are doing is making politics into an expert field rather than battleground of opinions.
It is objectively true that the UK pays £a to the eu. It cannot be objectively true for a to vary as bj feels. The issue at hand is not interpretation of facts - opinions, if you will - but whether it is incumbent on politicians not to vary them. Bj has great form in this area as eg his the Germans won stalingrad suggests

First attempt to get the case dismissed.

Boris Johnson has launched an appeal against the summons issued to him over allegations of misconduct in a public office, the businessman prosecuting him has announced.

Campaigner Marcus Bal said Johnson had launched a judicial review application in the administrative court.

The former foreign secretary’s lawyers would argue the summons issued to him last Wednesday by district judge Margot Coleman was unlawful and that the criminal proceedings against him should be suspended until the judicial review application was determined, Ball said.

A spokesman for Johnson declined to comment.

If a judicial review is granted, a more senior judge will decide whether the summons is lawful and whether any further proceedings will take place.

Ball said fighting Johnson’s judicial review application was a “particularly expensive part of the legal process” and called on the public to donate to his campaign. “When politicians lie. democracy dies,” he said.

Boris Johnson seeks dismissal of misconduct charge

Are there precedents for the prosecution of a prominent politician for claims made during campaigning?
anything there is is likely to emanate from a campaign for your actual election as opposed to someone who isn't campaigning for election, changes jobs 2/3 of the way through the campaign, and is campaigning in a referendum

anything there is is likely to emanate from a campaign for your actual election as opposed to someone who isn't campaigning for election, changes jobs 2/3 of the way through the campaign, and is campaigning in a referendum
I wouldn't be over surprised if you had to back to the 17th century to find anything remotely similar. Whether or not judges should be able to arbitrate the rhetoric of politicians is the sort of thing they were settling then. I guess the JR will work all that out.

Back
Top Bottom