Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Trial of Lucy Letby

No. Just for people who murder small children.

We have nurses on here, I'm one of them. For us all, the safeguarding of those little lives was/is the most challenging and rewarding part of our training. We would have done anything to preserve a baby's life. The worst moment of my nursing life was having a baby with whooping cough literally die in my arms. I cried myself to sleep that night. They are so fragile, so tiny, to begin with you are genuinely afraid to handle them in case you break them. The death of a baby is a dreadful thing to happen, for it to happen by deliberate act is absolutely beyond comprehension.

This person is utterly beyond redemption, and can never adequately pay for what she did. It wouldn't distress me for an instant if she committed suicide, I wouldn't be dancing with joy, a life is a life, I signed up to look after them all, irrespective of what they had done, but I certainly wouldn't be upset.
Completely agree with the sentiments in your last paragraph .However I'm not for state induced suicide or for those employed in our prisons encouraging suicide.

Yeah, I’ve considered that if she’s been in some form of extreme denial then there’s a possibility that if that breaks down she’ll end up on a psychiatric section. Or maybe that’s me projecting as I don’t see how anyone could do something so horrific and live with themselves/not lose touch with reality. :(

It also wouldn’t be a cop out - psychiatric secure units aren’t great places and whilst this won’t apply to a life sentence, criminal MH sections can lead to periods of incarceration that way outstretch original sentences.

Most whole life punters end up in the secure 'hospitals' at some point. To do something so bad as to get that tariff you have to be a bit out there, throw in the stress that a whole life tariff places on them and it's no surprise that they can go to pot. As you rightly state, Broadmoor and Rampton are no picnics, regular nicks are generally nicer places to be.

Last edited:
Most whole life traveller end up in the secure 'hospitals' at some point. To do something so bad as to get that tariff you have to be a bit out there, throw in the stress that a whole life tariff places on them and it's no surprise that they can go to pot. As you rightly state, Broadmoor and Rampton are no picnics, regular nicks are generally nicer places to be.
When I first moved to London I worked in a medium secure unit for a year and a half. It taught me a) they really are quite grim places, b) whilst you can never excuse their offences, so many had horrific histories themselves, c) it’s quite amazing how one can find space to have present day empathy with people who have done terrible things, d) however, some had done relatively little to warrant such long periods inside on ever extended sections :(, and e) if on the street you bump into an absconder at 3am and call it into the ward, your life choices will be questioned!

When I first moved to London I worked in a medium secure unit for a year and a half. It taught me a) they really are quite grim places, b) whilst you can never excuse their offences, so many had horrific histories themselves, c) it’s quite amazing how one can find space to have present day empathy with people who have done terrible things, d) however, some had done relatively little to warrant such long periods inside on ever extended sections :(, and e) if on the street you bump into an absconder at 3am and call it into the ward, your life choices will be questioned!
I may be being slow but what does e) mean? Could you expand?

I may be being slow but what does e) mean? Could you expand?
Well I can’t really say much more in the way of details because of confidentiality but I’ll rephrase. Someone hadn’t returned from leave on the unit I worked on, I bumped into them when I was out with friends (they greeted me very warmly even though I said I’d have to report it!), I rang up the unit to tell them and then felt very judged by a colleague for being out in the early hours of the morning myself!

Well I can’t really say much more in the way of details because of confidentiality but I’ll rephrase. Someone hadn’t returned from leave on the unit I worked on, I bumped into them when I was out with friends (they greeted me very warmly even though I said I’d have to report it!), I rang up the unit to tell them and then felt very judged by a colleague for being out in the early hours of the morning myself!
Thanks. Nothing wrong with being an early riser. I thought all productive people are out and about by 3am:D Allows us to get to the gym on time.

People go out clubbing shocker.

Extreme cases shouldn't be used to make bad law, is how I'll phase it.

Although I agree with this, it seems that the high-profile case of that bloke who did 17 years for a rape he didn't commit has prompted a change in the rules about clawing back compensation from those wrongfully convicted. But that was more like a light being shone on something that was clearly and obviously wrong, but which most people didn't know about.

When traditionally in such cases, women are more likely to be seen as more mad than bad, I’m surprised she got a regular prison sentence rather than an indefinite stay in Broadmoor.

Reactions: tim
When traditionally in such cases, women are more likely to be seen as more mad than bad, I’m surprised she got a regular prison sentence rather than an indefinite stay in Broadmoor.
These days, all violent criminals are interviewed by a psychiatrist to see if they're insane or not. She's a sociopath but not mad. Course there's loads of idiots on Twitter who are convinced she didn't do it because she doesn't "look" like a murderer, although they can never answer what a murderer does look like!

Havent been following in detail but it's interesting that the defence case didn't (i think) even try for the mad not bad angle?
Her lawyer only attempted to argue not guilty which seems an odd choice.
Not suggetsing she'd have been better off in the mad incarceration than the bad one just a bit curious how come the case proceeded in that way.

Utterly strange case. Sociopathic, I'd bet. Prison the only place left for her. Such trauma for all involved. Grim.

Has she had that diagnosis? Think it's not called that anymore either, it's 'antisocial personality disorder' or something like that.

Sociopaths have more of a tendency to antisocial behaviour whereas "psychopaths" tend to be more sadistic but not all psychopaths are evil. Some of them are very successful people.

Then there's the dark triad (look it up)

However tbh in this case I would just class her as pure evil. People said earlier they think that's too simple but to me it's the easiest explanation, simple or not.

That picture of her smiling while holding baby clothes is enough for me.

Havent been following in detail but it's interesting that the defence case didn't (i think) even try for the mad not bad angle?
Her lawyer only attempted to argue not guilty which seems an odd choice.
Not suggetsing she'd have been better off in the mad incarceration than the bad one just a bit curious how come the case proceeded in that way.
If she's told her lawyer she didn't do it and won't admit to it then he is to some extent bound by that. He can't get up and tell everyone she's lying but she's mental.

Has she had that diagnosis? Think it's not called that anymore either, it's 'antisocial personality disorder' or something like that.
Not directly AFAIK, but doctors at Loughborough University believe she had Munchausen by Proxy, which is viewed as a form of personality disorder/sociopathic behaviour. She clearly lacked empathy for the babies and didn't see them as people. I didn't know that about the "sociopath" label falling out of usage though, so cheers for the heads-up.

If she's told her lawyer she didn't do it and won't admit to it then he is to some extent bound by that. He can't get up and tell everyone she's lying but she's mental.
is that how it works, she pleads not guilty so thats it lawyer has to argue that and not anything else? Makes sense, up to a point.

is that how it works, she pleads not guilty so thats it lawyer has to argue that and not anything else? Makes sense, up to a point.
If the client admits to their lawyer that they are guilty and still insists on pleasing not guilty then there are certain arguments, such as blaming someone else, that the lawyer is professionally not supposed to make.

These days, all violent criminals are interviewed by a psychiatrist to see if they're insane or not. She's a sociopath but not mad. Course there's loads of idiots on Twitter who are convinced she didn't do it because she doesn't "look" like a murderer, although they can never answer what a murderer does look like!
Given the rates of undiagnosed/untreated prisoners I don’t think the psychiatrists have that sensitive a threshold!

Though I’m trying not to speculate on Lucy as I’ve not seen any reports - presumably it’s information that is only shared if relevant to the plea. Any pathology may fall under the area of “personality disorder” (often a problematic concept in itself) but that also doesn’t rule out past trauma or a degree of delusional thought.
Yeah I think sociopath is archaic terminology but the diagnosis maps broadly on to ASPD. Psychopath is still used iirc but is potentially more a neurotype. The only suggested diagnosis I’ve seen for her in the press is Munchausen's by proxy and I thought that was also a no longer used term. In parents/guardians it’s now called Fabricated Induced Illness (FII) but that doesn’t seem to entirely fit.

what does this even mean though?

That she has no redeeming characteristics and the only thing in life that gave her any satisfaction was her crimes.

We all like to say there's good and bad in everyone. Although I obviously don't know her I don't see her having any good or redeeming characteristics. She even seemed not only to get a thrill from the parents grief, she actively sort it out online.

How she became that way I don't know but I only see evil and malice here.

That she has no redeeming characteristics and the only thing in life that gave her any satisfaction was her crimes.

We all like to say there's good and bad in everyone. Although I obviously don't know her I don't see her having any good or redeeming characteristics. She even seemed not only to get a thrill from the parents grief, she actively sort it out online.

How she became that way I don't know but I only see evil and malice here.
If we cannot use "evil" in the context of people like Fred west and the like, then we cannot use it at all. I think I'd prefer to live In a world where "evil" is a term that can be used rather than not. It might not describe her whole personality, but yes killing babies is an act of evil. An evil act.

Back
Top Bottom