Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The rise of fascism in the US

Posted this on another thread but it relates to this one too. Its critical of the dems and republicans.

I think you’d struggle to find anyone here who wasn’t critical of both the GOP and Dems.

Good news for all you Lauren Boebert fans, less good for those who prefer congressional representatives to not be a clear and present danger to all around them and national security in general.

Colorado voting allows postal votes which arrive up until Saturday as long as they're postmarked on or before election day. Which means they're still signature checking and counting the last trickle, but at the last look she was a small handful over 1000 votes ahead (out of 323k cast); by the skin of her unnecessarily armed teeth I think the house keeps one of its biggest lunatics.

Meanwhile in Arizona; Kari Lake is some 27k votes behind, too close to call but hopefully no late surprises there.

I may have called Nevada senate for the Republicans prematurely...

95% counted (c.1,000,000 votes), the Republican lead has shrunk to just 821. Clark County (which contains Las Vegas) still has 5% of its vote to declare; this is a county which has almost 2/3 of the state-wide vote and tends about 55/45 Democrat. The other remaining counties will add a trickle of additional hundreds to the Republican lead, but Clark could wipe all of that out; for my money it depends where these last postal votes are coming from, if it's overseas military or rural remote then Nevada goes red but otherwise a very, very narrow blue hold.

4-5 days is a hell of a long time to call a narrow race, the returning officers in Sunderland and Newcastle must be so confused by all this!

Exit polls look like the Democrats are fucked in the mid term election. Is this the end of yanky democracy and the unstoppable rise of fascism?

This post aged well then.

Democrats retain control of the Senate, possibly even increasing their number of seats if they win the Georgia runoff next month.

Incredibly, it's still possible that they retain control of the house too, although it's still more likely to go red by just one or two seats.

I think they are just commenting on the pointlessness of calling the result before all the votes are counted. I don't know why anyone does that, hasn't it happened enough times that the last few votes to be counted have tipped the results in a particular candidate's favour?

It was an exit poll and this is a discussion forum :rolleyes:

What does it being an exit poll have to do with anything? And yes, this is a discussion forum. Are you gonna tell us we're on the internet next?

Exit polls are often the most accurate polls. Republicans controlling congress would have had a hideous impact on us all.

Apparently not this time. Perhaps you might want to look into why.

Oh fuck off, who are you Mystic Meg?

There’s significant precedent that Presidents take a hiding in the midterms. You’re being an idiot. Welcome to the Ignore list.

Oh fuck off, who are you Mystic Meg?

Um, the opposite actually. I'm saying not to trust prophecies.

There’s significant precedent that Presidents take a hiding in the midterms.

Don't mistake precedent for a law of nature, then?

Welcome to the Ignore list.

You are such a pathetic little shrivelled ballbag. At this rate you're going to be entirely on your own, you fucking snowflake.

Apparently not this time. Perhaps you might want to look into why.
tbf that exit poll probably was accurate. It's not inconsistent with the end result, which has the Dems and Reps more or less neck-and-neck. It just says that a significant number of people voted Dem despite not being keen on Biden. If you ask me what I think of Starmer, you won't get anything positive. Doesn't mean I'm going to vote Tory.

a nice counter

“The day Trump got elected, I remember I cried in every single one of my classes,” she told NBC News. “I felt like this country was not for us. I was like, ‘I don’t know if I belong here.’ This is the only home I’ve ever known, and I was questioning whether or not I belonged here.”

Syed took the November 2022 elections as an opportunity to help create change. She defeated Republican incumbent Chris Bos and flipped the district from red to blue.

Back
Top Bottom