Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The rise of fascism in the US

Apparently Trump's popularity increased following the insurrection hearings
It further embedded support he already had, while also further embedding hatred among the rest. Trump is polarisised politics incarnate.

If and when Trump runs again there'll be no such thing as a swing voter. It will all be about which side gets more of their voters out (ETA - voters out in the right places), and with the gerrymandering and the voter suppression that the republicans have been working on for decades that doesn't bode well.

Meanwhile in the here and now, Arizona senate looks to be likely a Dem hold, but got a bad feeling about Nevada. Georgia going to a run-off; Democrat lead of 35k with virtually all the votes counted, but 81k votes for the libertarian loon to be hoovered up in the 2nd round.

please let this come to pass... The whining and tantrums from Bobert will be epic -but at least the overall IQ of congress will go up by several points (even accounting for the huge intellectual gravity well that is MTG and her cohorts)...
You're all faux radicals fawning on the Democrats and electoralism when what's needed in America is a thorough-going grassroots revolutionary movement [/amateur agitator]

Whereas even most corbynites aren't saying that people should not vote to keep out the sellout lib Starmer let alone that the Tories are actually the better party

Which particular leftists?

I always think of “owning the libs” as a right-wing phrase.

Though I can understand anyone feeling exasperated with the Dems.
Seen it lot of 'very online' leftist spaces, dunno which prominent ones but I've seen stuff like Red Scare podcast and chapo get accused of it a lot, although tbf never listened to either to verify it either way. I might PM you later.

Yep. Seen it happen a lot

There does seem to be a bit of a "tankies for Trump" thing on Twitter and Reddit.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was being pushed by right wing social media firms. No evidence for this exists but social media firms linked to Trump do have form for posing as leftists on social media to try and divide the vote.

More info on the phenomenon of MAGACommunism, tankies who want to own the libz so hard that they back Trump and right wing populist movements in general.

More info on the phenomenon of MAGACommunism, tankies who want to own the libz so hard that they back Trump and right wing populist movements in general.
It's a grift. A bunch of discord/youtube debatebro twats who think they know everything about everthing. Discord is full of these scum who think intellectual debates are the new bloodsports. This just another stupid expression of that. Just people who've spent the last year spouting pro Putin talking points

we had a few here, gone awhile tho'.

An alarming number of US leftists seem to be of a similar mindset, it's all about 'owning the libs' to them. As much as I disagree with AA I think his views are good old fashioned anti electoralism rather than being quite that bad tho tbf
To be clear: I didn't make my post to 'own' anyone. I think Bobert is a despicable individual and if she's kicked out of office I will derive immense schadenfeude from it. I make no apologies for that.

It's not just tankies tho.

I was surprised by how I ended up voting. The Republicans run everything here. Its to the extent that the Dems don't even run someone for some offices. An unlikely party has taken their place, the "Marijuana Now Party." I ended up voting for them in a couple of places. If the Democrats in this state are so ineffective that they can't even match a piddling ass fringe marijuana advocacy party, they suck majorly.

I was surprised by how I ended up voting. The Republicans run everything here. Its to the extent that the Dems don't even run someone for some offices. An unlikely party has taken their place, the "Marijuana Now Party." I ended up voting for them in a couple of places. If the Democrats in this state are so ineffective that they can't even match a piddling ass fringe marijuana advocacy party, they suck majorly.
Could there end up being any third party gains do you think? Good luck to the marijuana party 🌿

While I've always known about anti-liberal rhetoric on the left, in my experience it's a far cry from the "owning the libs" nonsense the QAnon fascists engage in. Mind you, it's been a while since I good look at US leftist spaces.

Could there end up being any third party gains do you think? Good luck to the marijuana party 🌿

It does look like the Libertarian Party and the Marijuana Now Party are fielding more candidates. There was a Libertarian option for nearly all the races. I doubt if they're getting a large segment of the vote, but they're at least getting someone on the ballot. That's the first step, and more than the Democratic party managed.

Back
Top Bottom