Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ongoing stupidity of Home Secretary Priti Patel

Tory peer Sayeeda Warsi on The Last Leg yesterday, when asked about Patel: "I want to stand up for a fellow woman of colour, but...".
Warsi is doing some useful work stabbing Julius Caesar in the back like Brutus and helping to reformulate Conservatism as they collapse into a confused opposition rump. She has even been doing some useful work getting out of the political arena like Portillo and going for a Julia Bradbury walk in the woods. The rest of the Tory Party should join her in the Rambler's Association. They could all walk along Hadrian's Wall for a laugh telling each other filthy jokes about when they thought they had an 80 seat majority! I wonder what Sasaferrato makes of Warsi?

Last edited:
Reformulate Conservatism?
God knows how they’re going to reformulate something without an ideology.
Oh I think it does have an ideology mate. A bit of a miserable one with a pessimism about human nature like Thomas Hobbes and boring deference to tradition and hierarchy. Although you could argue that someone like John Major was a pragmatist and allergic to too much ideology maybe. If we have to have perpetual Toryism I'd take a John Major with his sleaze and cones hotline and sex with Edwina Currie over Alexander Boris any day of the week.

Oh I think it does have an ideology mate. A bit of a miserable one with a pessimism about human nature like Thomas Hobbes and boring deference to tradition and hierarchy. Although you could argue that someone like John Major was a pragmatist and allergic to too much ideology maybe. If we have to have perpetual Toryism I'd take a John Major with his sleaze and cones hotline and sex with Edwina Currie over Alexander Boris any day of the week.
We do have perpetual toryism

I know. Blair and Brown's little interlude was 0.4% social democracy and 99.6% Thatcherism. As Zarah Sultana said in her maiden speech - 40 years of Thatcherism.
Only under Wilson and Callaghan have we had anything else in the last fifty years

And that brought grunwicks, Lewisham, criminalisation and blanket protests in the six counties - and punk.

Only under Wilson and Callaghan have we had anything else in the last fifty years
Quite. Not perfect like all politicians but I miss those boys. I listened with care to the 1979 Parliamentary debate on the BBC Parliament Channel where Callaghan took on Thatcher. Thatcher didn't say much - just sharp little attacks and Big Jim did most of the talking. Then it all happened and the New Right were in and it was a downhill slide into the gates of Hell from there on in.

And that brought grunwicks, Lewisham, criminalisation and blanket protests in the six counties - and punk.
Reginald Maudling said this country is a "Conservative country that sometimes votes Labour". Maybe true but makes me weep hot tears like the Romans who were paid to be proferssional mourners at funerals.

Less than 6 months after taking office, Callaghan's Chancellor delivered the infamous IMF speech to conference heralding the onset of Thatcher's tight fiscal policy. Some might argue that Thatcherism began, in earnest, on 30/09/1976.

The North Koreans must look at us and laugh at us.
You keep saying that. I doubt they are, there's another famine (that they're actually acknowledging this time) so I suspect they're more worried about not starving to death rather than some little island in the west.

You keep saying that. I doubt they are, there's another famine (that they're actually acknowledging this time) so I suspect they're more worried about not starving to death rather than some little island in the west.
A famine? Oh Christ, hadn't heard about that. Thanks for alerting me. I heard about 400,000 in danger in Ethiopia.

Warsi is doing some useful work stabbing Julius Caesar in the back like Brutus and helping to reformulate Conservatism as they collapse into a confused opposition rump. She has even been doing some useful work getting out of the political arena like Portillo and going for a Julia Bradbury walk in the woods. The rest of the Tory Party should join her in the Rambler's Association. They could all walk along Hadrian's Wall for a laugh telling each other filthy jokes about when they thought they had an 80 seat majority! I wonder what Sasaferrato makes of Warsi?

Why am I obliged to have any view of Varsi?

Do you think that there will ever be a change of regime in NK? I saw a comment (just that, a comment) that the Dear Leader was becoming fearful of the young, because their greater tech ability is showing them what the rest of the world is really like, as opposed to state propaganda.

Do you think that there will ever be a change of regime in NK? I saw a comment (just that, a comment) that the Dear Leader was becoming fearful of the young, because their greater tech ability is showing them what the rest of the world is really like, as opposed to state propaganda.
I'm no expert on NK. I think at some point there has to be, but I wouldn't like to say when.

Pretty sure Ted Heath would be in jail.
I just hope those allegations about Ted Heath and the young boys were false. I even heard one podcast with David Icke where someone said Heath had raped and murdered children in a children's home with Jimmy Saville which might have been as fanciful as the idea that the lizards control the earth from the moonbase

He was born 105 years ago, so he'd probably also be dead.
My mum had a Ted Heath - Man of Principle poster in her room at Oxford. I hope she got the piss ripped out of her mercilessly like Ming the Merciless

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom