Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The New Tories - Ruthlessly Incompetent. Post Examples of Tory Stupidity Here

The school system’s job isn’t to provide education, let alone real creativity or insight. These things are a product of the efforts of teachers working in spite of the system. Pupils aren’t “failed” by the school system any more than workers are “failed” by corporations. It’s not a failure if the point was never really to help you in the first place.

My father worked in education most of his working life. State schools. When he retired he said that the biggest part of the job was being a childminder so people could go to work. I've worked in schools for 15 yrs and I agree with him. I walked away from it 2 yrs ago, what a lucky choice. This last year has proven it, underpaid childminders.

My father worked in education most of his working life. State schools. When he retired he said that the biggest part of the job was being a childminder so people could go to work. I've worked in schools for 15 yrs and I agree with him. I walked away from it 2 yrs ago, what a lucky choice. This last year has proven it, underpaid childminders.
I've heard the phrase "warehousing" more than once, and in schools with 1500 or more pupils, it seems appropriate. Perhaps if we just admitted that, we could make the warehousing/educational experience a rather better one than by pretending it's about education alone?

Exactly, I worked with some kids who needed much more than a traditional classroom experience to get them to engage with the world and live happy non destructive lives.
Most of my (male) friendship group around here has become young men who, for various reasons - including, in some cases, undiagnosed neurodivergent stuff, dyslexia, etc - came out of the education system feeling very much "less than", even though they're all of them smart, quick-thinking, and very capable in their own fields.

ETA: and in several cases, some not entirely creditable pasts...

It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't keep offloading more and more responsibility on to the teachers to make up for kids spending less time around the family or the family having limited time to actually teach kids stuff because the parents are working for 40-50 hours a week.

It'd be even less awful if the government didn't try to measure every single aspect of the kids growth via arbitrary targets that ultimately just lead to schools gaming the system to meet them.

So we had the Tories sniffing around saturday. Lovely morning, so why not, in the midst of a mismanaged pandemic, knock on people's doors and introduce yourself as a fucking tory. Knockout ginger with explosive dogshit would have been less offensive.

I challenged the filth, like the tough guy that I am. 18 thousand dead, corrupt contracts, etc. The usual. Sad that I can describe it as the usual ffs. He wanted me to admit I'm a Labour supporter to distract me, I'm not so I didn't and I wouldn't because I'm not.

So he splutters "why do people vote for us then".

He inferred from my retort, saying that it's the media (it wasn't a nuanced answer), that the BBC are left wing before scuttling off to rejoin the hive telling me to 'keep taking the tablets'. Low level ableism there. I mean, saying the BBC are left wing is a straw man. We can agree or disagree that those elements exist within the BBC broadly but not, pertinently, it's political/news output.

Ok I'm done. I just wanted to share the joy of calling out a Tory to his face.

It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't keep offloading more and more responsibility on to the teachers to make up for kids spending less time around the family or the family having limited time to actually teach kids stuff because the parents are working for 40-50 hours a week.

It'd be even less awful if the government didn't try to measure every single aspect of the kids growth via arbitrary targets that ultimately just lead to schools gaming the system to meet them.
^^this
^^this
and (particularly) ^^ this

While serving as a Labour councillor on Ashfield Council in 2018, he was suspended by the party locally for allegedly dumping boulders to block access to a local camp site. He was later presented with a community protection order over the action, and instructed to remove the boulders.[5]
There's no end to his bellendery.

Not new news but worth repeating...

He's a government minister because that government is led by someone who's been sacked from two different jobs in two different industries for lying, tried to help have a fellow journalist beaten up, was a member of an allegedly criminal gang... and so it continues.

Lucy Frazer on Question Time last night:
"The scientific advice that we should follow is the data."
Can anyone interpret what this means?

He's a government minister because that government is led by someone who's been sacked from two different jobs in two different industries for lying, tried to help have a fellow journalist beaten up, was a member of an allegedly criminal gang... and so it continues.

Lucy Frazer on Question Time last night:

Can anyone interpret what this means?
It means "we will claim to be following the data, so we can blame the scientists when it inevitably all goes runny and tricks out at the corners. Meanwhile, we'll do what feathers our nests the best."

I've heard the phrase "warehousing" more than once, and in schools with 1500 or more pupils, it seems appropriate. Perhaps if we just admitted that, we could make the warehousing/educational experience a rather better one than by pretending it's about education alone?
My jaded teacher friend calls it 'crowd control'.

Back
Top Bottom