Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

TfL denied Uber operator license, ride hailing service wins on appeal (Sept 2020)

There will be many a Londoner in tears this morning. Some people have got used to be chauffeured around, back to the tube with the rest of us, hah.

I must admit I use the uber-family service all the time. It's going to be a pain in the arse, but I'll get over it.

I wonder if this means Uber Eats is also in trouble?

I bet its that last one about Greyball which pissed TFL off. They've just thrown the other stuff in to make it look about safety etc.
Although to be fair to TfL, Greyball is exactly the kind of thing that an organisation with something to hide would do.

What does "a fit and proper operator" mean? edit: oh ok see the list of things they've been told off for. Not great news for uber drivers I guess (?)

Reactions: tim
I must admit I use the uber-family service all the time. It's going to be a pain in the arse, but I'll get over it.

I wonder if this means Uber Eats is also in trouble?

Yeah it can be a very handy thing and generally the arrival of Uber has been a positive thing. My gripe is that some people have got used to getting an uber everywhere and they don't consider public transport anymore. That is not sustainable and London's roads are now utterly clogged with Toyota Prius.

Yeah it can be a very handy thing and generally the arrival of Uber has been a positive thing. My gripe is that some people have got used to getting an uber everywhere and they don't consider public transport anymore. That is not sustainable and London's roads are now utterly clogged with Toyota Prius.

I like public transport; headphones and a kindle. It is useful if the kids need picking up from somewhere, used that once or twice.

I should imagine this is just TFL saying "up your game and give us more money"

TFL was considering renewal with an increase in the 5-year licence fee from £3k to £3m, but decided not to renew.

Uber will have to pay almost £3m to continue operating in London

Interesting background info here: There is a chance Uber is about to lose its London licence

And, yes, as expected uber is launching an appeal:
"To defend the livelihoods of all those drivers, and the consumer choice of millions of Londoners who use our app, we intend to immediately challenge this in the courts."
TfL rules Uber's London licence will not be renewed

But will they keep the whole thing in the courts (and keep operating)? Twenty years ago Microsoft were paying a million quid a day (or some huge amount like that) to keep their anti-trust case in the courts.

Back
Top Bottom