Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

T20 cricket world cup '22

k 120. Any England win tomorrow and they're through.

I've seen Rashid Khan launch sixes before. Come on Rashid, knock em out!

Sensational effort from Afghanistan, they're clearly no mugs with either ball or bat.

Over to you England. What's the weather forecast? Inverse rain dances needed, please let's not have it abandoned with no result.

A win is far from a given, of course, but after the awful performance against Ireland, England would have taken a must-win final game.

SL have nothing to play for, but like Afghanistan here, that takes the pressure off potentially and frees them up. They will be dangerous.

I would have been happy to lose tomorrow if Afghanistan had beaten Australia.

I think we need to play a slightly defensive grind of a game tomorrow. Get SL thinking about the flight home early on.

I couldn’t care less for T20 but the thought of Australia being kicked out in the group stage of a world cup they’re hosting? :thumbs:

Not a great toss to lose. Sri Lanka batting first.

Sri Lanka haven't really been on my radar for a while, are they any good? I miss the days of Murali, Malinga, Vaas, Mathews, Sangakara, Jayawardena...

I'm increasingly appreciating T20. I think there are many positives with it. It's much more of a team discipline.

142 to win, when SL were going at 10/over for thew first 5 or 6 overs? Take that.

Rashid superb, his first over for 2 runs killed the momentum stone dead and pressured the first wicket or 2 as SL chased after the seamers.

The hundred is filth as a format. But the competition did do a lot to promote the women's game.

I appreciate only real men hate the Hundred. Coz its all about the ”authenticity” of T20
Dunno about anyone else, but there's a hierarchy for me

Test > 50-over > t20 > 100

That said, t20 has been around long enough now for players and spectators to have a good feel for what is going on at any stage in the game. The 100 hasn't and never will if it isn't replicated as a format elsewhere, which it won't be because it's a dog's dinner of a format. It is a format born from marketing, starting from a new name 'The 100', almost certainly dreamt up by someone who doesn't even like cricket, and working backwards from there to shoehorn a set of rules around the name.

That's all setting aside the various ways in which the 100 has fucked the county game. And yes, it's been great for the women's game, particularly with the double-headers (an idea that started in Aus with t20), but a new format did not need to be invented in order to promote the women's game.

…it's a dog's dinner of a format. It is a format born from marketing, starting from a new name 'The 100', almost certainly dreamt up by someone who doesn't even like cricket, and working backwards from there to shoehorn a set of rules around the name.

Exactly the same can be said of T20.

Five balls an over, although sacrilege, is easier to count with. I don't like the marketing hype and enforced enthusiasm, nor the scores that take up a full quarter of the fucking screen (it seems like more :mad:). The counting the score up and down is bloody confusing, as is not having the sides' names on the screen when you've just walked in on it.

I do like that spectators seem to be having a great time. As said is good for the womens' game. I know what people mean about a slogfest but aiming for 6s all the time is different enough to be exciting, and you'd hope it would attract young people to the game.

It of course doesn't have the spiritual and meditative appeal of test cricket: have said before that I was watching England play on TV one time 30 years ago and my mates' six year old was watching with me and after a fair time he said "something will happen in a while" but was wrong.

It of course doesn't have the spiritual and meditative appeal of test cricket: have said before that I was watching England play on TV one time 30 years ago and my mates' six year old was watching with me and after a fair time he said "something will happen in a while" but was wrong.

boycott and tavare opening the batting?

:p

Five balls an over, although sacrilege, is easier to count with. I don't like the marketing hype and enforced enthusiasm, nor the scores that take up a full quarter of the fucking screen (it seems like more :mad:). The counting the score up and down is bloody confusing, as is not having the sides' names on the screen when you've just walked in on it.

I do like that spectators seem to be having a great time. As said is good for the womens' game. I know what people mean about a slogfest but aiming for 6s all the time is different enough to be exciting, and you'd hope it would attract young people to the game.

This is one of the big lies of the Hundred marketing, though. Anyone who's been to a t20 blast game can tell you that there are lots of kids there. The idea that it needed the hundred format to attract kids just isn't true. Give the Blast the same exposure, same marketing and same time slots in the school holidays and it will attract just as many kids.

Back
Top Bottom