Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

T20 cricket world cup '22

Where the hell did Glen Phillips come from! Catch of the tournament, fastest runner in the tournament and now highest scorer. Never even heard of the bloke :D

Oh I remember someone saying on commentary that he did have an IPL contract but never actually got a game. I think he will now.

8 from the over, with a wicket. Not the biggest Sam Curran fan, but at this stage of the game that's very decent.

Won by 20, not bad for the NRR. Beat Sri Lanka and through unless Australia really hammer Afghanistan.

Unless I missed the bit where NZ knocked off the runs really easily?

I'm pretty sure Aus will hammer Afg. And I've just run some numbers (quickly, but I think I'm right).

Example. Aus 180 Afg 100.......Eng 150 SL 120

That would lead to a NRR of approx England 0.8, Aus 0.78

Close. England have the advantage of playing second.

Quick calculation. England's NRR is 0.8 better than Aus. Assuming both teams bat first, Aus need to win by approximately 60 runs more than England. The slight statistical anomaly of NRR is that it's harder to catch it up if you chase, so if Aus bat second, they will need an even bigger win.

I'm not so sure any of the final games are going to be the paper whitewash predicted here.

If you know you need a certain margin of victory, do you bat first or second? Aus need to bat first and pile on the runs, I think, as all they know is that they need to win as big as possible, but England may prefer batting second and knowing exactly how many balls they have.

But yeah, Aus also need to win and make sure they don't fuck that bit up. If Aus lose, they're definitely out, and SL are back in it. Rain shortening games could also fuck it for Aus. They need a full 20-over game.

I'll be very surprised if Rashid plays against Aus. He was in tears of pain when he was helped off the field.

Aus will thrash Afg. It's their tournament (not necessarily to win, but to not reach the semis would be unthinkable for them).

India were very lucky there IMO. That would have been great if Bangladesh finally had something to cheer about.

NZ officially through. Aus need to restrict Afgh to 106 or less to overtake England's NRR. However, a narrow win vs SL reduces England's NRR, so a few more than that please, Afghanistan. 120 will do it.

Good start from Afghanistan. Australia will win it (probably) but it does look difficult for it to be a hammering unless they take all 10.

ETA wicket as I wrote that, proper mockers

Back
Top Bottom